FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIAMI — One of the nation's largest school districts has reached an agreement with law enforcement agencies and the NAACP to reduce the number of students being charged with crimes for minor offenses.

The agreement with Broward County Public Schools in Florida, which officials planned to announce Tuesday, is one of the first comprehensive plans bringing together district officials, police and the state attorney's office to create an alternative to the zero-tolerance policies prevalent in many schools. It charges principals rather than school resource officers with being the primary decision makers in responding to student misbehavior.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Lates...s-school-to-prison-pipeline.-A-national-model
OMG Thank you for this. Is it we bury our heads in the sand it doesn't exist. I guess we now are deciding if wrong is really wrong. I get that out of this. SMH

I heard an interview on CNN with that person. He said the FBI came by twice,the last time very recently. They were trying to identify the poster, but couldn't.

I wonder how this person was able to finally identify him?

Two LE are now being interviewed on this on CNN. One says there are so many cases of people making these threats on social media. It was done on YouTube. Can the SM web sites do more?

He used his real name

This is simply false, not to mention offensive. There are plenty of exemplary citizens with “proper values and morals” who are agnostic or have different beliefs. Not to mention all those who have committed horrible acts of violence that would be considered religious fanatics. God has nothing to do with it.
Uhhh that's my point..

Or it could be the one thing that some law makers studiously avoided mentioning yesterday. Hmm I wonder what it could be.
Scratching heads...how did this happen.They seem perplexed. Sad

I wonder what it could be also. Care to give me a hint?

Our society slays me with all the ways we ensure that a shooter like this becomes an "other". Oh he had mental issues, he's not like me. He was a loner, he's not like me. He is an immigrant, he's not like me. Every situation becomes an isolated incident that happened in a vacuum, rather than a symptom of a broken, toxic society. And then we say we need God in our lives like praying has ever helped.

Truth is, these shooters are generally born just like the rest of us, with a clean, sane slate. Over time, they are abused, neglected, isolated, bullied, told to be something they aren't, told they are this that or the other. Society raises these boys to be the violent, aggressive, hate-filled men they are. That's the bottom line. Look around us, we shame children for expressing themselves. We tell boys to "man up" and stop crying. We don't let boys wear pink. We call effeminate men "sissies."

We refuse to acknowledge that times today are not the same as they were 50-100 years ago. We refuse to acknowledge our own role in things like this. How we perpetuate it in hundreds of ways every day and that "crazy" people like this guy will take all those little microaggressions and internalize them and take them out on innocent schoolkids.

We have to start by recognizing that we as a society are part of the problem. If we can't even do that, we will NEVER solve this problem. All, JMO. Obviously.

Another school on lockdown, shots fired. :(

We're LIVE in Coconut Creek where North Broward Prep has been placed on lockdown due to reports of shots fired, but no official confirmation. http://bit.ly/2GcHzlh

He is following in the footsteps of The Columbine attack.

levity break

I look like that when everything is fine

no worries

peer

he got kicked out of two private schools

held back two grades kids cam be real mean to kids who get held back

had no friends

quiet strange

CNN

to himself

liked hunting

Bullying needs to be addressed and often schools won't or don't have the proper training to do so.
Not sure mixing emotionaly unstable students in with others is such a great idea.
What happened to special classes or schools?

MIAMI — One of the nation's largest school districts has reached an agreement with law enforcement agencies and the NAACP to reduce the number of students being charged with crimes for minor offenses.

The agreement with Broward County Public Schools in Florida, which officials planned to announce Tuesday, is one of the first comprehensive plans bringing together district officials, police and the state attorney's office to create an alternative to the zero-tolerance policies prevalent in many schools. It charges principals rather than school resource officers with being the primary decision makers in responding to student misbehavior.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Lates...s-school-to-prison-pipeline.-A-national-model

This applies to minor, non-violent offenses. It's part of trying to mitigate the environment of "criminalizing poverty" of ending the school to prison pipeline. It refers to minor offenses that kids are arrested for in poor areas that would not result in arrests in the wealthier school districts

The new policy creates a matrix for district officials and school resource officers to follow when a student misbehaves. For non-violent misdemeanors like trespassing, harassment, incidents related to alcohol, possession of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, administrators are instructed to try and resolve the situation without an arrest. A variety of alternatives, like participation in a week-long counseling program, are designed to address and correct the student's behavior.

No student would be arrested for a first non-violent misdemeanor, but further offenses will result in graduated levels of school-based interventions. After a fifth incident, students are referred to law enforcement.

Felonies or serious threats will still be handled by police.

BBM. The crimes committed by Nikolas Cruz prior to this shooting fall into the latter category.

We gotta make sure we're also shaming the parents. They're not like us, OUR children would NEVER do this.

Our society slays me with all the ways we ensure that a shooter like this becomes an "other". Oh he had mental issues, he's not like me. He was a loner, he's not like me. He is an immigrant, he's not like me. Every situation becomes an isolated incident that happened in a vacuum, rather than a symptom of a broken, toxic society. And then we say we need God in our lives like praying has ever helped.

Truth is, these shooters are generally born just like the rest of us, with a clean, sane slate. Over time, they are abused, neglected, isolated, bullied, told to be something they aren't, told they are this that or the other. Society raises these boys to be the violent, aggressive, hate-filled men they are. That's the bottom line. Look around us, we shame children for expressing themselves. We tell boys to "man up" and stop crying. We don't let boys wear pink. We call effeminate men "sissies."

We refuse to acknowledge that times today are not the same as they were 50-100 years ago. We refuse to acknowledge our own role in things like this. How we perpetuate it in hundreds of ways every day and that "crazy" people like this guy will take all those little microaggressions and internalize them and take them out on innocent schoolkids.

We have to start by recognizing that we as a society are part of the problem. If we can't even do that, we will NEVER solve this problem. All, JMO. Obviously.

For once, I think I agree with you. At the start of our nation there was room for all kinds. they were needed to settle this gigantic land mass. Today, if you don't follow the herd, you're an outcast.

America is either going through its death throes are an awakening/not a "woke". We need thinkers, we need doers, we need to get down on our knees, repent of our sins, and ask the forgiveness of God.

So, it seems "everyone" knew he would do this - or something like this. IDGAF why he did it. I just want to know why NO ONE was paying attention to him or his SM or his threats. And WHY did he have access to a weapon that allowed him to murder 17 kids today? 17 kids. There are, at least, 17 families that sent their kids off to school today and, at least, 17 kids who will never come home.

I don't want to see any excuses. I want to see some ACTION. Some real dialog about what the hell is wrong with these malcontents and the pathetic lack of mental health care and gun control in this country.

We are failing. In so many ways. THINK about how you would be feeling, tonight, if you sent your own child off to school today and they were slaughtered like this. After you laid your child to rest, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Demand reform! I'd be furious with everyone who knew he was a threat and said, "oh well..." My rage would have no end.

For once, I think I agree with you. At the start of our nation there was room for all kinds. they were needed to settle this gigantic land mass. Today, if you don't follow the herd, you're an outcast.

America is either going through its death throes are an awakening/not a "woke". We need thinkers, we need doers, we need to get down on our knees, repent of our sins, and ask the forgiveness of God.

IMO, We need to ask the forgiveness of each other and move forward with an open heart and open mind and even consider accepting those who do not bow down to any specific deity.

Bullying needs to be addressed and often schools won't or don't have the proper training to do so.
Not sure mixing emotionaly unstable students in with others is such a great idea.
What happened to special classes or schools?

Kind of reminds us of the young man who killed the parents of his girlfriend in Virginia. He was attending a special school, had very violent and alt/right beliefs and behavior, but still took it out on the Fricker family. Not saying these disturbed, violent young people shouldn't be placed in separate educational programs, they should. But that, alone, isn't enough in some cases.

I was up almost all night thinking about this slaughter, crying, angry, bereft, thinking about my retired parents, who collectively taught in public schools for close to 70 years.

I just need to share my thoughts here, though I’m not sure how to best translate them to words. But I’m trying. Apologies in advance if things come out jumbled or awkward.

I thought about the generations of students they taught, led, counseled, mentored, and loved like their own children.

I thought about the teachers in Florida who died and were wounded protecting their “kids.” And I cried for the survivors, several who spoke to media and shared their horror on social media. They are all so articulate, so brave, so angry and confused and sad and horrified and wounded.

So much focus is on the 17 who died. I thank god they’re at peace. I think about them and wonder, “What will be their legacy? They are more than murdered children.”

The wounded — the survivors, their families, their friends, brothers, sisters, parents, teachers, coworkers, first responders, longterm care providers — their battle has just begun. The trajectories of their lives are forever affected.

I say, let’s listen to them. Really listen. They need us. Our support. Our protection.

When a high school student and survivor speaks about his little sister, a freshman, who lost two friends in the slaughter, he is unable to protect her, and adults have failed all of them.

My heart breaks.

We talk about how to best prevent these attacks.

We can and should enforce the laws we have (background checks, doctors being allowed to ask patients if they have access to lethal weapons, both of which are admittedly poorly enforced in Florida) and change the ones that don’t work.

There’s no excuse not to, imo. We owe it to the survivors and the massacred. There are too many already. Let’s stop this. Now.

To quote a survivor:

“Sadly, my sister, she’s a freshman and she had two of her best friends die. And that’s not acceptable. That is something we should not let happen in this country, especially when we’re going to school. It’s something we really need to take a look at. The fact that this is the 18th school shooting, and this is only February, it’s a testament to where this country has come, and how far. We need to dig out of this hole. We need to step out of it and take a look back and realize, there is something seriously wrong here. And some of our policy makers, and some people need to look in the mirror and take some action. Because ideas are great, but ideas stay ideas and children die.”

https://www.google.com/amp/uproxx.com/news/alisyn-camerota-florida-school-shooting-survivors/amp/

I will act to protect our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Kids and families and communities aren’t acceptable costs in the fight to protect our freedoms.

I just read an article that said he was wearing his rotc shirt. And it shows his face clearly, which I had not seen yet. I will find the link.

An article also said he started running out with other students, trying to blend in, but they knew who he was.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/02/nikolas-cruz-youtube-comment-ben-bondsman-fbi/

That article up there is the one that says he was trying to blend in while leaving. It also talks about a youtuber who went to pretty good lengths to report him saying he was going to be a school shooter back in September. The fbi even visited him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

so LE/FBI knew but did nothing. Couldn't flag his file so he couldn't buy a gun? or visit his home to speak to his mother/teachers? remove all guns in his possession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member