FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't judge security guard yet, cause I don't know enough. He might not have known where he was, who he was, didn't want to shoot innocent students, who knows. SO, the bigger thing to me is looking at the big picture. What this tells me is that having a locked campus (it was locked, but gates had been opened for dismissal) and having an armed guard on duty was not a deterrent for the shooter. So, back to the drawing board. Those things aren't enough of a deterrent to stop it. Even if the guard would have come in, this guy had already shot people. I understand it might have minimized the deaths, but I am looking at solutions to completely deter. Somehow, this didn't work. And i would have been one to bet having an armed guard would have kept a shooter from targeting that school.

I'm rambling, but I guess when you actually attend a school, you know all the ins and outs and have been trained on protocal. You know where students will hide. You know why the door is locked and where all the sitting ducks will be. Hhmmm. Needs to be rethought. It's interesting and something I had not considered much, before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We haven’t seen the video of what his activity was but Sheriff Israel said it was evident that he wasn’t doing what he was suppose to be...before, during or after.

This drive to demolish places involved in tragedy seems to be quite a modern one. I suppose it's become part of the ritual of public mourning.

Wouldn't it be more fitting to tear down the AR15s?

Without the features, we really have no actual (or any) evidence of FAS. There have been no information about the bio mother as far as I can tell.

His behaviour is the primary evidence. It appears to fit more than ASD

We haven’t seen the video of what his activity was but Sheriff Israel said it was evident that he wasn’t doing what he was suppose to be...before, during or after.

It doesn’t seem likely we will ever see the video, either:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164634
He said video footage showed Mr Peterson arriving at the building where the shooting broke out about 90 seconds after the first shots were fired, and that he remained outside for about four minutes. The attack lasted six minutes, Sheriff Israel said.
Asked what Mr Peterson should have done, Sheriff Israel said: "Went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer."
Mr Peterson is yet to publicly comment on what happened. Officers are reportedly guarding his home.
Sheriff Israel said Mr Peterson had not given a reason for why he did not go into the building where the shooter was. It is unclear if he will face charges.
Sheriff Israel said he would not be releasing the video showing Mr Peterson and might never do so, "depending on the prosecution and criminal case" against the 19-year-old suspect accused of carrying out the shooting, former student Nikolas Cruz.

We can't right now, but we can start. It will take time. Pass a law. Fifty years from now, there will be no assault weapons.

Do the existing ones wear out?
If the American population doubles while no one else buys a gun, there will be one gun for every two people.

Thank you for emphasizing my point. He was trained to react to this and he didn't, and we expect a schoolteacher to do better.
In this case the staff did do better. Two ran toward the danger. We will never know, but if they had a gun maybe lives could of been saved.
I am on the fence about faculty/staff being armed in schools, but with this case makes me think it needs to be discussed. Two staff ran to the danger.

I have a subscription to People magazine and I shared pictures of their tribute to the victims of the Las Vegas shooting back in October, and I thought I would share their tribute to these victims, as well.

f74ee06f88b6fdaa1975369929ea7822.jpg

69e17182b276f3b1f9cd08675e9577f7.jpg

37aec662d30a7b3ee1cd8562097480e1.jpg

❤️

The officer would need to be trained in combat and so would the teachers. I hope the armed guard/officer at least called the police for back up!

If you were trained in combat, wouldn't you expect to get a job in a combat field where the pay is commensurate with the risk?

What about the mass shootings at concerts, churches, work and homes? Don't politicians care about these victims? Why are only school victims to be protected?

If you were trained in combat, wouldn't you expect to get a job in a combat field where the pay is commensurate with the risk?

yes, I would. Not sure how this will work out.

This is sad. Having a funeral, and no friends, ,family, acquaintances, church members, social members, neighbors, coworkers, friends of the husband, friends of the kids, NO ONE came?? Was the funeral publicized or was it hidden from others? Was the possible inheritance to the boys a leading factor? This makes no sense at all. I don't think I've ever heard of NO ONE coming to a funeral!

So this may mean that their Mom had NO SUPPORT system at all! No one she could call for help. No male that could act as a father figure? No uncles, no grandparents, NO ONE she could turn to? To vent to? I mean even the best teenagers are teenagers. They can test you daily. You love them, but some days just need to vent. She had NO ONE? Now imagine having sons with mental instability. Who do you turn to? The boys are no longer toddlers you can pick up and place in timeout, or into their bedroom to settle down. They are stronger than you. They have no respect because they've not experienced respect from a male figure in the home. So they start small, telling you they are going to do so and so and you can't stop them. They are right, you physically can't stop them. They see they got away with that, next thing they decide they aren't going to school, or they are going to throw eggs at neighbors. You can *itch and complain, you can ground them, but you truly have no control. You can't make them behave. It keeps esculating until they are physically abusive towards you, and again, they are stronger, you don't want to physically hurt your own child, so what do you do? You call the police, hoping beyong hope their future isn't ruined by a criminal complaint, and that just the police showing up will scare them into behaving. That doesn't work. Now what? You have no one to ask, no one to get advice from. You keep calling the police, nothing changes within the home. You're scared, you're worried, you're living on pins and needles waiting on that next episode, and yet, you're helpless to prevent!

Why was this family so isolated from society? WHY was there no family? Why no support system? What in the world was really going on here, and did this situation cause Nicolas to become who he is, or enforced his weaknesses, or did his behavior alienate the family from everyone? I can't imagine EVERYONE turning their backs on the parents because of a child's behavior. I just can't see it. Did the parents decide to alienate themselves for whatever reasons? If so, WHY?

There was one report saying his brother had been involuntarily committed for psychiatric help after the shooting. Does anyone know where he is now? The boy had no one but his brother, who was troubled himself. Who will be his support system now?

I'm surprised no one from the school came to the funeral for either brother...like a teacher, counselor, etc.

They don't have to shoot to kill, they can shoot to bring him down.

If I were a teacher and an ex-student of mine were shooting and killing students, he is at that point no longer my ex student, but a killer, and I would have no problem shooting to bring him down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would be insane to try to only wound someone armed with AR-15.

If you take your gun out you are using it to kill not "bring him down" No one is taught to shoot to maim not kill.

Especially if you are trying to shoot someone armed with an assault weapon.

She died suddenlt of the flu but had the energy to give her son 5,000 before her death? something doesn't make any sense.
Had did she know she was going to die? How did she get to the bank to make a withdrawl?
So odd. And no one attends the funeral?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

The school officer is an excellent example of why expecting TEACHERS to be armed is absurd af. He was SUPPOSED to be there, armed, to specifically protect those kids and he couldn't. I'm not disparaging the man. It was his lil Glock up against a tactical style rifle. I am disappointed but I don't blame him for that reaction. He's a civilian, he's not a Soldier. Nobody who isn't a highly trained law enforcement officer should ever have to be in that position to begin with, and people are seriously, unironically expecting TEACHERS to take that on.

Where is the logic?

Exactly. A guy whose job it was couldn't even do it. And we are supposed to expect teachers to be able to do it?

She died suddenlt of the flu but had the energy to give her son 5,000 before her death? something doesn't make any sense.
Had did she know she was going to die? How did she get to the bank to make a withdrawl?

She could have kept cash in the house. Many people do that. It’s good to have on hand in case of emergency.

So odd. And no one attends the funeral?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Not one single person other than Roxy and her ex boyfriend ‘Gold’. This is bizarre.

Why not any staff, ‘a’ staff member from the school? Zachary was still a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288