GUILTY FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 *shooter Guilty, School officer NG* #5

Wow! I can’t say they are wrong to interpret her behavior/comments as bias and prejudice. I don’t think she will grant this motion. Can’t wait to read her justifications. She better come with receipts of the lead defense atty’s misconduct cause otherwise this looks pretty bad for the judge.

Also, I didn’t know she had told them to come in at 9:15 and then showed up at 10 herself!!! Then she blamed the defense for the inconvenience of wasting the day in front of the jury?! She has def personalized the lead defense attys behavior.
I agree with you that it’s personal against the defense attorney.
It just seems odd that she was even given this case actually…

Last edited:
I agree with you that it’s personal against the defense attorney.
It just seems odd that she was even given this case actually…
The article is behind a paywall for me but I believe they randomly assign judges in Florida and that’s how she got it. She had been a judge six years w/no DP experience when she got this case and let’s just say it shows! If you Google her there are some interesting articles about her ex-husband and his shall we say “activities.” But she’s from a wealthy and connected family.

To be fair, I think she simply wasn’t ready for such a high profile, complex case. She’d been doing straightforward murder/aggravated assault cases and now she’s thrust in this intense case with high stakes. With highly experienced attorneys. The lead defense atty is no spring chicken! And unlike the lead prosecutor who is the judge’s former boss, I imagine defense counsel is not willing to cut the judge any slack. These defense attys despise the death penalty and the claws are out! I’m really curious to see how the judge responds!

I hope it’s a life sentence for the sake of legal closure for the families bc I wouldn’t be surprised if a death verdict is successfully appealed at this rate!

The article is behind a paywall for me but I believe they randomly assign judges in Florida and that’s how she got it. She had been a judge six years w/no DP experience when she got this case and let’s just say it shows! If you Google her there are some interesting articles about her ex-husband and his shall we say “activities.” But she’s from a wealthy and connected family.
To be fair, I think she simply wasn’t ready for such a high profile, complex case. She’d been doing straightforward murder/aggravated assault cases and now she’s thrust in this intense case with high stakes. With highly experienced attorneys. The lead defense atty is no spring chicken! And unlike the lead prosecutor who is the judge’s former boss, I imagine defense counsel is not willing to cut the judge any slack. These defense attys despise the death penalty and the claws are out! I’m really curious to see how the judge responds!

I hope it’s a life sentence for the sake of legal closure for the families bc I wouldn’t be surprised if a death verdict is successfully appealed at this rate!
Yes, that is how she got it.
There’s also some information about how she refused to refuse herself from a case that her current husband’s police department was investigating. She was recused though.
I agree… I think there are some things that could be appealed.
Ugh, what a hot mess.

SEPTEMBER 25, 2022 / 1:23 PM / AP
Prosecutors in the penalty trial of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz will begin their rebuttal case Tuesday, challenging his attorneys' contention that he murdered 17 people because his birth mother abused alcohol during pregnancy, a condition they say went untreated.

Prosecutor Mike Satz's team is expected to call experts who will testify Cruz has antisocial personality disorder — in lay terms, he's a sociopath — and fully responsible for his Feb. 14, 2018, attack at Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
[...]
Cruz, who turned 24 on Saturday, pleaded guilty last October to murdering 14 Stoneman Douglas students and three staff members.
[...]

thanks for the update...I was expecting them to return today.

thanks for the update...I was expecting them to return today.
There is a massive hurricane approaching (Ian). Even though this area of Florida may not get a direct hit, the whole peninsula will probably be affected in some way. Wouldn’t be surprised if court got suspended.

There is a massive hurricane approaching (Ian). Even though this area of Florida may not get a direct hit, the whole peninsula will probably be affected in some way. Wouldn’t be surprised if court got suspended.

SEP 26, 2022
[...]
The rebuttal case could take up to two weeks and will resume on Sept. 27, according to the 17th Judicial Circuit.

As of now, the building will continue normal operations and Hurricane Ian will not effect anything.

I think most of the concern is for the West Coast of Florida so hopefully things will get moving again. They need to get this trial done!!

WEll done for this week. Court closed.hurricane path has moved
Tue, September 27, 2022 at 5:42 PM
The sentencing trial of Parkland gunman Nikolas Cruz has been delayed once again as Hurricane Ian continues to strengthen on its path towards Florida.

Judge Elizabeth Scherer postponed the trial until Monday when the state will resume its rebuttal case.
[...]

In court on Monday, jurors were shown chilling video footage from Cruz’s jailhouse interviews with forensic psychiatrist Dr Charles Scott where the 24-year-old gunman nonchalantly described how he “studied” other mass shootings including the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres in preparation to carry out his own.

He revealed to Dr Scott that he intentionally chose Valentine’s Day for his attack because the holiday is “difficult” for him because “he has no one to love and no one to love him”.

anybody have an idea of how long state rebuttal is going to be

I think we have a number of days or weeks left. No court tomorrow 9/5...back on Thurs. and on current witness cross has not even begun...then they don't seem to have court on Friday....so into next week. Jury had been told that closing would be about the 10th but that will not happen for sure. One juror sounds very pregnant and needs frequent breaks...each break takes about 30 minutes. This is moving very very slow.

So they are having court on Friday this week? That Oct. 10th date was given by judge as an estimate prior to the Ian break...so if they are still on schedule then State is calling fewer witnesses or it is moving faster? It sure is going slow
from my perspective. I hope it does close out this week.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back