FL FL - Adam Walsh, 7, Hollywood, 27 July 1981

Yes, that's the way I recall it from the book and from news accounts at the time. LOL, I'm old enough to recall when this happened. The police would have been in way over their heads with a case like this. IIRC, they became a little angry with John's wife at first when she kept showing up at their police station.

Even today, there are local LE agencies that refuse to ask for outside help when they need it, but most are now better prepared to deal with missing children. It's still sad to look back on the many cases of missing teens from the 1960's and '70s who were written off as runaways.
I’m actually only a couple of months older than Adam, and I remember the case having a profound effect on parents at the time.

Regarding local LE, currently watching the Netflix documentary on the Texas Killing Fields. Incredible how many bodies of young girls were dumped along a stretch of I-45 from Houston to Galveston from the early 70s to the 90s while the cops did nothing and gaslit families.

IIRC, they became a little angry with John's wife at first when she kept showing up at their police station.
Part of this was complicated by the fact that John and Reve were initially suspects. In a murder of a child, cops are/were inclined to look at the parents first, and there were some things in the Walshes family life (marriage problems, John’s business contacts, Reve having an affair with a guy who was living at their house) that understandably caused HPD to focus on them. Problem is they hung onto John and Reve as suspects a lot longer than was plausible.

I’m actually only a couple of months older than Adam, and I remember the case having a profound effect on parents at the time.

Regarding local LE, currently watching the Netflix documentary on the Texas Killing Fields. Incredible how many bodies of young girls were dumped along a stretch of I-45 from Houston to Galveston from the early 70s to the 90s while the cops did nothing and gaslit families.
Not to mention Dean Corll, who was allowed to kidnap and murder dozens of teenage boys from the same neighborhood in Houston. LE claimed all of them had run away and didn't investigate.

Not to get off topic, but I really hope someone can verify whether Otis Toole was responsible for Adam Walsh's death.

Last edited:
Not to mention Dean Corll, who was allowed to kidnap and murder dozens of teenage boys from the same neighborhood in Houston. LE claimed all of them had run away and didn't investigate.

Not to get off topic, but I really hope someone can verify whether Otis Toole was responsible for Adam Walsh's death.
Well, never say never, but the odds of that are long unless some bombshell piece of physical evidence that law enforcement lost turns up.

Even then, though the DNA technology now exists to test blood samples, e.g., against John Walsh’s paternal DNA, A. one couldn’t assume the samples wouldn’t be so degraded by now as to be inconclusive, and B. my guess is since John and Reve have an enormous amount of emotional energy invested in HPD’s “exceptional closure” naming Toole as the perp, he’d be unlikely to cooperate.

The other avenue is if some of the key witnesses ID’d by cold case detectives but never found *were* actually found and they had something material to report.

For instance, at least four kids were simultaneously kicked out of the Sears where Adam was abducted, for fighting over the Atari display: Adam, another white kid, and two black kids. Adam wasn’t involved in the altercation but was booted because the security guard assumed he and the other white kid were brothers.

The white kid was ID’d years later by Art Harris (after a suggestion from yours truly) but was already dead IIR from a drug overdose. His sister, who was at the mall that day with him and his mother, had some things to say but nothing especially conclusive.

The two black kids, OTOH, have never been interviewed by investigators to my knowledge. They might have extraordinary testimony to offer.

John Walsh's wife met the TV personality in the '60s as a student at University at Buffalo. A year after their firstborn's murder, Revé Drew Walsh had a daughter, Meghan Walsh, followed by sons, Callahan Walsh and Hayden Walsh.

The family still celebrates Adam's birthday every year. At least one of their children has continued the family activism legacy and has his own TV show.
TV Personality John Walsh, wife Reve Drew, sons Callahan Walsh and Hayden Walsh and daughter Megan Walsh attending 47th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, on September 9, 1995, at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, in Pasadena, California. | Source: Getty Images

TV Personality John Walsh, wife Reve Drew, sons Callahan Walsh and Hayden Walsh and daughter Megan Walsh attending 47th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, on September 9, 1995, at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, in Pasadena, California

The Walshes had a hard time with the Hollywood Police Department because frankly the cops were in miles over their heads. They were simply not equipped in training or manpower to conduct an effective search for a missing child following a stranger abduction.

Also, missing person searches as such didn’t exist at the time they way they do now. The Adam Walsh case was the catalyst for a lot of reforms in the way law enforcement — and society — approaches matters when a kid turns up missing. In 1981 they couldn’t even call in the FBI preemptively because there wasn’t evidence Adam had been taken across state lines. One of the things John Walsh pointed out at the time was that federal law enforcement had a nationwide database for missing vehicles but not missing kids.

Having said that, the local cops in Hollywood did no one any favors. They refused to ask for help from FDLE when they could have, and basically stonewalled/botched the case from start to finish — including, if you ask skeptics, pinning the murder on Ottis Toole once he was conveniently dead.

As for John and Reve Walsh, honestly as a dad I have no idea how they were able to get up in the morning every day and continue on. I don’t know how I would have survived, TBH, except that unlike them at the time Adam was murdered I have other kids who need me.
I always felt like I might know something, but never could see how what I considered possibly relevant, was. I was living in Westwego, LA. Beechgrove apartment's and there was a very strange, (evil), possessive man a scared girlfriend and a very distraught young boy living upstairs from my Husband and my kids. Years later as information about the heinous crimes against young Adam came out, and many occasions since That man and his evil actions toward that young boy keeps coming to my mind, heavy on my heart that I did nothing too help the boy and the lady, acting Mom. Just thought I would check in here see if anyone has been charged in the disappearance of the child.

"No one helped us in 1981, when Adam was kidnapped," his father, John Walsh, told Newsweek. "The little Hollywood, Florida police had no idea what they were doing ... They didn't search for Adam that night. I was so worried when it got dark."

"With the changes that we're seeing today, the needle has moved," said John Bischoff, vice president of the missing children division at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. "It has moved certainly in a positive direction in terms of the speed in which we're able to engage with the public, the speed at which we're able to pull in lead information ... And we're seeing faster turnarounds in how quickly we are able to find missing children and get that information to law enforcement. Get that child back to a safe place," he told Newsweek.

"No one helped us in 1981, when Adam was kidnapped," his father, John Walsh, told Newsweek. "The little Hollywood, Florida police had no idea what they were doing ... They didn't search for Adam that night. I was so worried when it got dark."

"With the changes that we're seeing today, the needle has moved," said John Bischoff, vice president of the missing children division at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. "It has moved certainly in a positive direction in terms of the speed in which we're able to engage with the public, the speed at which we're able to pull in lead information ... And we're seeing faster turnarounds in how quickly we are able to find missing children and get that information to law enforcement. Get that child back to a safe place," he told Newsweek.
I admire John Walsh so much: he has made it his life's work to get "the bad guys"--- he never gives up--- and he has his son Callahan to help him: What a tribute to Adam- always loved, never forgotten

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back