FL FL - Altamonte Springs, WhtFem 67UFFL, 15-23, 'Ginger', may be from MI, Aug'73

@Melt71
Got email back!
They have been working on doing a comparison between Rose and the Altamonte Springs Jane Doe. (Someone sent her information to them before she was entered into NamUs) They had to file a report with Miami Dade to get Rose into NamUs.

I am so glad they got back to me!! She didn’t say if they have DNA for Rose yet, so that might be the hang up, but not sure.

Original

Composite of "Ginger Doe" age 15-23, Unidentified Female found in Altamonte Springs, Florida in August 1973

I have a question?
I found an article that says there was a name engraved inside the ring she was wearing. Does anybody know what that name was? I think that could possibly be a huge lead to her name?
Also, in several cases, there has been information that was completely inaccurate. The part about the ID gives me several questions. What type of ID would a teenager from 1973 have? Kids back then didn't just go get an ID, they really didn't need one. Maybe a school Id? Does anybody know of any schools back in 1973 that gave the students an ID? Or any reason why a teenager in 1973 would have had one? Is it possible that what she saw was one of the little ID cards that come with wallets? If so then the information on it could be totally inaccurate.
Article I referenced

Last edited:
I have a question?
I found an article that says there was a name engraved inside the ring she was wearing. Does anybody know what that name was? I think that could possibly be a huge lead to her name?
Also, in several cases, there has been information that was completely inaccurate. The part about the ID gives me several questions. What type of ID would a teenager from 1973 have? Kids back then didn't just go get an ID, they really didn't need one. Maybe a school Id? Does anybody know of any schools back in 1973 that gave the students an ID? Or any reason why a teenager in 1973 would have had one? Is it possible that what she saw was one of the little ID cards that come with wallets? If so then the information on it could be totally inaccurate.
Article I referenced

I never saw anything about a name, that is a persons name or initials. The only thing that is written upthread is that Authorities said the ring was purchased at Davidson & Son Jewelers in NYC. Maybe the name engraved was just that....referring to the maker/seller of the ring.

Sorry, I don't have answers to your questions about the ID besides those that are already mentioned.

The whole ID story and the "Michigan lead" sounds questionable if you ask me. I couldn't find when this witness was questioned and how credible she was....Who was the witness? Was she the prosecution's star witness who recanted in 1995? The witness saw Joseph "Crazy Joe" Spaziano in Daytona Beach, with a girl on his motorcycle. Memory can be a . She could have been referring to a complete other girl or another year, IMO. Or deliberately throwing the investigation off, knowing (who) "Crazy Joe" (was), obviously.

The remains were found in Altamonte Springs, an hour apart (with car) from Daytona Beach. Brings up more questions. Where was the other victim, Laura Lyn(n) Harberts from? She was a hospital clerk from Orlando. The distance between Orlando and the place where the bodies were found sounds far more plausible (approx 14 min.) Did Spaziano actually do it? What evidence was there to link him to these homicides or at least the Harberts's homicide?

Isotopes pointed Ginger was born somewhere in North West America, later expanded to West, then West Pacific and then the person moved to/lived in Mid West. I don't have any believe in isotopes BTW. They are much to broad and not accurate most of the time, but Michigan does not belong to any of these regions. Michigan (alleged ID) - New York (ring purchased), more logical...but I doubt it.

Conclusion: Ginger could be from everywhere. Michigan no, Orlando far more likely.

Ring article that mentions a name engraved inside ring.
If you click on the link above it will take you to the newspaper article which says there was a name engraved in the ring. This article was written on Aug. 24, 1973, and was published in the Orlando Sentinel. I had never heard it before either which is why I was so shocked.

Experience tells us that often witness statements in cases like these are inaccurate. I just can't think of any reason a teenager would have had an ID in 1973? I also think she could be from anywhere.

Ring article that mentions a name engraved inside ring.
If you click on the link above it will take you to the newspaper article which says there was a name engraved in the ring. This article was written on Aug. 24, 1973, and was published in the Orlando Sentinel. I had never heard it before either which is why I was so shocked.

Experience tells us that often witness statements in cases like these are inaccurate. I just can't think of any reason a teenager would have had an ID in 1973? I also think she could be from anywhere.

I read the article before reacting...I never heard it like that before also. My guess is there wasn't actually a name engraved in it. Semantics? If there was actually a name that could be a lead to an owner, why wouldn't they have published it?

The ID thing keeps coming up. I kind of agree that if it was a real identification card of some kind, it would point to the older end of the age range, but on the other hand, we had ID for my high school in 1971. We needed it to get into football and basketball games, among other things.

In 1973 in many predominantly rural states, you could get a learner's permit at 13 and a driver's license at 14. I didn't get mine that early, but my brother did.

IF the girl in question was indeed this unidentified girl (I'm skeptical), I wonder if she was a student at UMichigan.

Details are often the key to these cases getting solved, so I contacted the detective on the case. She told me that there isn't a name engraved on the ring. Little details like that make me crazy.

I meant to ask a few questions about the ID, such as Did the witness say what type of Id it was? I'm reasonably sure she didn't. I never said her having an ID was impossible, I know some people had them.

I'm just not certain if I've ever researched an unidentified person's case and not found misinformation.
I agree completely with Bit of Hope about the Isotopes. Are there any known cases where they have been accurate?

Details are often the key to these cases getting solved, so I contacted the detective on the case. She told me that there isn't a name engraved on the ring. Little details like that make me crazy.

I meant to ask a few questions about the ID, such as Did the witness say what type of Id it was? I'm reasonably sure she didn't. I never said her having an ID was impossible, I know some people had them.

I'm just not certain if I've ever researched an unidentified person's case and not found misinformation.
I agree completely with Bit of Hope about the Isotopes. Are there any known cases where they have been accurate?
Isotopes were accurate for Maggie Sniegowski, accurately predicting her being from Ohio, but they're so hit or miss that I think it's probably best to disregard them most of the time.

Isotopes were accurate for Maggie Sniegowski, accurately predicting her being from Ohio, but they're so hit or miss that I think it's probably best to disregard them most of the time.

I tend to think of them as a clue--it's worth looking for possible matches in the areas the isotopes point to, but they certainly don't rule anybody out.

Thanks for reaching out to the detective. At least we know now there wasn't a name engraved in the ring. The ID is still a question mark, as is the witness who told about it.

I tend to think of them as a clue--it's worth looking for possible matches in the areas the isotopes point to, but they certainly don't rule anybody out.
isotopes were really wrong for Evelyn colon though saying she was from Europe when she lived in Pennsylvania and was from Puerto Rico

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back