FL FL - Annette 11, & Mylette Anderson 7, Jacksonville, 1 August 1974

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by Romulus, Mar 21, 2018.

  1. Romulus

    Romulus Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Annette Anderson & Mylette Anderson





    Annette and her sister (Mylette) were left home alone at approximately 6pm while their mother went to check on a sick relative. The mother called to check on Annette and Mylette at 7pm and were fine. When their father arrived home at 7:20pm, Annette and Mylette were nowhere to be found.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Gardener1850

    Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Just entered into NAMUS on 03/16/2018.

    Currently No DNA, No Dental records, No Fingerprints.

  3. Gardener1850

    Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    From Charley Project:

    Details of Disappearance

    Annette and her sister, Mylette, disappeared from Jacksonville, Florida on August 1, 1974. Their mother and older sister left them alone at home at approximately 6:00 p.m., while she went to care for a sick relative. Their mother called them at 7:00 p.m. to check on the children and everything was normal during the conversation, but when their aunt called later, no one answered the phone.

    The girls' father, a commercial fisherman, was supposed to arrive home from work at 7:00 p.m., but he got delayed by twenty minutes due to a faulty boat motor. When he did get home, Annette and Mylette were nowhere to be found.

    Neighbors said they saw a white car in the driveway of the Anderson residence sometime during 6:00 and 7:00 p.m., but nobody saw anything suspicious and no one saw the girls leave. Nothing was missing from the house except a baby doll Mylette owned.

    The doors to the home were shut, but not locked, and there were no indications of forced entry. The family's small dog, which usually had the run of the house, was shut up in a bedroom. Mylette and Lillian were never heard from again.

    That year several young girls between six and twelve disappeared from the Jacksonville area. The first was Jean Marie Schoen. Virginia Suzanne Helm vanished on September 27, and Rebecca Ann Greene disappeared on October 12.

    Virginia's partially clothed body was found in a shallow grave a month after her disappearance; she had been shot in the head. Rebecca's skeletal remains were found three years later, washed up on the shore of Little Fort George Island at the mouth of the St. Johns River. Both girls were twelve years old when they died. Jean's body and the Anderson sisters' remains were never found.

    Because the abductions happened in different parts of the city, authorities don't believe they are related. Investigators theorize Annette and Mylette were killed by Paul John Knowles, a serial murderer who was killed by police later in 1974. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

    After his death, they found tape recordings where Knowles said he'd abducted two girls matching the descriptions of the Anderson sisters, killed them and buried them in a remote area at the west end of Commonwealth Avenue. The children's father subsequently filed a wrongful death suit against his estate.

    Annette and Mylette were both students at Louis Sheffield Elementary in 1974. Their cases remain unsolved.

  4. JerseyGirl

    JerseyGirl Moderator Staff Member Administrator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Annette and Mylette Anderson were taken from their Jacksonville home on August 1, 1974 -- less than two weeks after Jeanie's disappearance. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?53017-FL-Jean-Schoen-9-Jacksonville-21-July-1974

    Annette was just 11, and her little sister Mylette, just 6. They were left alone only briefly when their mother and their older sister went to visit a sick sister.

    Their father was headed home after a day of fishing.

    He even called home and spoke to the girls to check on them at 7 p.m. Jack could hear the dog barking in the background of the phone call, but Annette assured him the dog is barking at birds in the front yard.

    When their father called again at 7:20 p.m. no one answered the phone. Police believe that in this short 20-minute window the girls went missing.

    The girls' father returned home to find the family dog locked in a back bedroom and Mylette's favorite doll - the one she carried everywhere - also missing.

    Volunteers and officials searched for the girls for days. A local paper reports that more than 100 square miles were searched in an effort to find them. Some witnesses said they saw the girls in the days following their disappearance. Some said they saw the girls riding around in a pickup truck, another said they saw the girls picking up bottles in a schoolyard.

    But neighbors said they saw a white car in the driveway of the Anderson home around the time the girls went missing.

    Their sister believes whoever took her sisters must have had some plan because the family lived on a secluded road with only one way in or out.

    The first mention of a serial killer in this series of disappearances comes up in the Anderson Sisters Case. John Paul Knowles was a known serial killer in Northeast Florida at the time. He was killed as he attempted to escape prison.

    Before he attempted to escape he wrote a letter about some of his victims and claimed that he was responsible for the disappearance and murder of the Anderson sisters. He said he left their bodies at the end of Commonwealth, but police scoured the area and never found either of the girls.


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice