FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember how much exactly our yetis cost but I bought DH a small one for a present and it was like $375.00 and then he went out and bought a $600.00 one (medium sized). As I mentioned before, We cable lock ours to the RV when camping, etc. they get stolen all the time.

Once I was driving on the highway and the pick up in front of me turned a corner and their yeti fell out of the back and 3 cars (including me) all stopped to save the yeti, which was in the street, lol. The truck realized it and had to turn around and come back for it. No one was going to take it: we all know how expensive they are and so we really were going to pull it from the highway and guard it until the owner came back. Lol.

We yeti owners help each other out. But yes, they are valuable and get taken often. I can nearly guarantee you that if someone found it they would be like "the kids dont need it now"..... Lots of people would.

A 65 quart Yeti cooler is $399.00 new

I know they are looking for the Yeti and I honestly wonder if someone already found it and is keeping it for themselves? It's a very, very expensive cooler and it's semi weird that there is no trace of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was open and so it sank when the boat overturned?

Or maybe it washed up and someone said great, free yeti cooler! And had no idea it was related to this case.

Thank you.....more than likely "just staying with the boat" wasn't an option. If you get tossed so badly during the capsizing & get rendered unconscious while the seas remain violent---> fatal.

Oh so true. This screenshot shows a 51 foot charter almost capsizing in 2010 at Jupiter Inlet with a very experienced captain in command. He was thrown overboard and broke his neck (and subsequently died when removed from life support) :(

ifon6e.jpg

https://youtu.be/n2BsevU1Y_U

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/friends-remember-fishing-captain-who-died-after-be/nL9nj/

[video=youtu;Gus-raNrO3A]http://youtu.be/Gus-raNrO3A[/video]

My brother captaining from the Gulf Stream into Jupiter Inlet last year...moderately rough seas

Ain't easy or for the faint of heart. Your timing has to be spot on.

(P.s. It is a much bigger boat than it appears in this video....goes to show you how the ocean makes everything "small". This boat has 2 Diesel engines--lots of hp.)

Rumor has it that Jupiter Inlet is "unmarked" which means that boating insurance companies won't pay out if your boat sinks.
I have no idea if that applies to life insurance too?

My brother captaining from the Gulf Stream into Jupiter Inlet last year...moderately rough seas

(P.s. It is a much bigger boat than it appears in this video....goes to show you how the ocean makes everything "small". This boat has 2 Diesel engines--lots of hp.)

Stunning boat! I would have chewed off all my fingernails

Or maybe it washed up and someone said great, free yeti cooler! And had no idea it was related to this case.

Im reading online that austin was cited recently for a lack of safety equipment on the boat. Can anyone confirm?

No Rumors from Social Media please.

:tyou:

I was only going to hang around this tragic thread until the USCG called off. The sheer raw human emotion involved and the actions by the family are keeping my interest just slightly however. The discussion and sharing of information by those of you in the know is also so interesting and captivating. Thanks to those who have shared so much of their personal experience. It has made me so much more aware of boat safety. We live on the coast but I am not a boater, but do love to fish.

I felt so hopeless from the beginning for these boys. The chances were so slim and I feel the USCG actually went above and beyond. So many searches on land don't last as long for so many who appear more likely to be recovered. The family can afford to go on privately for now but even then, at some point it will sink in. I hope that they are able to rise above and help other families in the future. No family should have to live with not knowing where their loved one is. I want the dead to be brought home and given a final resting place. These boys will be forever in the sea. Poor mama's. I hope they can find peace as they stand at the shores edge.

RIP boys, peace to the families.

jmo

I felt really really sad for the family when I heard the dad 'fantasizing' that his two little 'McGyvers' were lounging on their homemade floatee device and eating sushi. That was just a desperate unconscious attempt to deny the reality. So heartbreaking for everyone.

i wonder if their yeti has their name on it? Most people we know get a last name stencil online and spray paint their name large on it.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...ida-teens-boys-families-seek-pilots-in/nnBPF/
The webpage started by the families of Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, had raised more than $401,000 as of 6 p.m. Saturday....More than 4,200 people had donated to the campaign, which had a goal of $450,000. The biggest contribution, $25,000, came from Yeti Coolers, a company that makes portable food-storage devices.

If anything good can come from from this it is that the story will be told for many years to other young men as a caution to not be out in a small craft during a storm.
I still hear the stories in my head of boat captains that have disappeared off West Palm Beach and would remember every time I went out.

Gorgeous boat. I know it's much larger than it appears and really drives home the "what the hell were they thinking," reality. When I first saw their capsized boat I thought, holy god it's basically a Boston Whaler!

I haven't read every post, and started following later then most, was it ever confirmed that the boys planned to go all the way to the Bahamas?

Gorgeous boat. I know it's much larger than it appears and really drives home the "what the hell were they thinking," reality. When I first saw their capsized boat I thought, holy god it's basically a Boston Whaler!

I haven't read every post, and started following later then most, was it ever confirmed that the boys planned to go all the way to the Bahamas?
Here's a lonk from the beginning, including friends speaking about the snapchat.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/07/28/search-area-for-missing-teens-expanded/

My husband uses a SPOT device when he goes out on his boat. It sends out regular coordinates to selected devices...and to selected people. It can be used when hiking, biking, etc.
About the epirbs---there's small, newer models that let the Coast Guard know your location within ** 10 YARDS** and should be kept in one's ditch bag. $600.00

There's something cheaper called a "Spot" that is capable of neat features which interacts with Smartphones & is waterproof.....about $150.00.....doesn't send the distress to the a Coast Guard but has an S.O.S feature. Very cool!

It helps if you have a handheld satellite phone which works anywhere in the world. $1,000.00 + monthly plan fees.

One can always set the Coast Guard on speed dial as well.

But two 14 year olds probably wouldn't know about all this or think it's important.

We must mentor our youth; even if they show resistance. Very important!

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member