FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be scared to be pulled down if the boat sinks. Or that the rope gets snagged somewhere and pulls me down.

Yeah, good point.

I wondered if the boat sank it would probably not be good to be tied to it. I thought maybe using a quick release caribeaner may be good to tie to the boat so that you could quickly unhook yourself if needed.

I guess its dangerous but maybe worth the risk instead of being washed away from the boat.

One thing for sure is there would be no way to hang onto it in seas like that without some sort of rope or something.

Oh no. Local news just mentioned that the Coast Guard is also searching for a who is missing from Normandy Beach (about 45 min drive north of Jupiter). He was last seen the same day the boys went missing:

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/local-news/stuart/missing--search-covered-over-12000-miles_22241472

I've never seen a wearing a lifevest :(

:notgood: Last weekend, was atthelake at a friends and went paddleboarding down their cove with calm water. I was the only one that demanded I have a life jacket on when I went. Others questioned me and said the water was like glass why did I need one. My answer was what if I slipped, hit my head, and went under water.

I captured these time lapse weather radar snapshot's of the Squall Line that hit Jupiter Inlet Friday afternoon. I confirmed the squall line hit several land based weather stations, including Juno Pier, at 1:30PM local time (Eastern Time). The local time of the radar images below is on the upper right hand corner.

What we see here is at 11am , when they were fueling up their boat, the sky was very clear. Two hours later at 1 PM, the sky overhead and west of Palm Beach County was still clear, with a slow moving area of heavy rain moving E across St. Lucie County (a good distance away to the north). At 1 PM , a new squall line/gust front was just starting to form over the East edge of Lake Okeechobee, well to their west. In the 30 minutes between 1 PM and 1:30 PM this new squall line to the west rapidly intensified east of Lake Okeechobee and surged rapidly offshore. Anyone offshore Jupiter Inlet had virtually no advance warning of the threat posed by this newly forming squall line to the west, as confirmed by several reports of fishermen literally running to shore for their lives to reach safe harbor. This rapid storm development phenomenon is not uncommon for this specific area, it is due to the influence of Lake Okeechobee, combined in this case with the outflow boundary coming south down the coast from Martin County. The meteorological conditions mid-day Friday were ideal for what quickly turned into a worst case scenario.

I will add one more comment here, this is 100% just my personal opinion based on all the information we have to work with. I feel the boys recognized the weather threat, but experienced a mechanical failure as evidenced by the engine cover being off when the boat was discovered by searchers. I think they tried to start the motor and run for safety, and the engine failed to start. My guess is, the battery failed, and the engine would not start. Without power, the boat was quickly turned sideways and flipped over in the intense sea/weather conditions in the gust front that hit them. I believe if the boat was under full power, it would be able to motor through the worst of that weather event. Without a running motor, the boat was at the mercy of the wind and seas. Again this is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for sharing this Vega.

This really shows how quick that storm developed. I had no idea it came from the land and moved out towards them. I was thinking it came the other way.

They may have not had a way to even hear about the weather or approaching storm severity. I am sure they finally saw it coming but by then it may have been too late.

Because if they saw it coming at them from the shore, then it means that they would have had to boat right back through it to get back to land and you typically want to go away from a storm and not towards it. It is frightening to think about how severe the weather got on them.

I agree with you that they likely were trying to start the engine to head back in but by then the storm was already on top of them and they could not start the engine.

Maybe it is time to make a regulation that boats need to have a working GPS to go out to open sea? Just a thought.

I don't think that there should be any more regulation. People should be responsible for what equipment they want on their boat, or don't want.

:notgood: Last weekend, was atthelake at a friends and went paddleboarding down their cove with calm water. I was the only one that demanded I have a life jacket on when I went. Others questioned me and said the water was like glass why did I need one. My answer was what if I slipped, hit my head, and went under water.

Kudos to you.

And that could definitely happen. That is one of the reasons they always say to wear a life jacket when boating. You never know if you will be concious when getting knocked overboard.

You could even have a small heart attack or a stroke or another medical condition where you end up overboard and in the water and unconcious.

Having on a life jacket will keep you alive in those incidents.

I don't think that there should be any more regulation. People should be responsible for what equipment they want on their boat, or don't want.

Usually I would agree. I tend towards being a Libertarian.

But look at how much time, resources, manpower and money was spent just looking for the capsized boat. They could have zeroed in on the first day.

Well, the Gulf Stream heads east at Cape Hatteras, and there is/will be a wind from the west blowing everything east- so if they aren't located very soon, they'll be headed towards England...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be scared to be pulled down if the boat sinks. Or that the rope gets snagged somewhere and pulls me down.

Those boats are made not to sink. It's the law now. It's the bigger ones that sink. It's unfortunate that they took that boat into the open water. I wouldn't take that size boat even on a large lake in a storm. It was a foolish thing to have that boat out in the open ocean on any day.

They were on a 19 ft Sea Craft boat = notoriously low transom...engine & boat gets swamped with water easily. Even still, I wouldn't feel comfortable in that small of a boat in any inlet or ocean.
Larger boats can carry more safety devices, in general.

So sad....

For us in England timezone, that's how long from now please? TYA

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

It would be 3.5 hours from now (so 5pm England time?). If I find a channel that will stream it live, I will post the link. [emoji4]

UPDATE: CBS12 will be streaming it live. Here is the link:
http://www.cbs12.com/news/features/live-events/?wap=0/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. More cars go missing without a trace of them or their owners. It's a privacy thing.

Just to confirm KristiA is correct. 12noon in Florida is 1700 (5pm) in England. (There are sometimes a couple of weeks a year when the difference isn't -5 hours because UK and US don't always change to DST and back on the same weekend. But right now it is -5)

Thank you all. :) I'll be working can't see the presser but I'm sure you'll keep us in the know.

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

This might sound stupid but...
when Carlie Brucia went missing NASA had a video of her at the garage where she was abducted and the guy that took her.

Is it at all possible they would see these boys?

This might sound stupid but...
when Carlie Brucia went missing NASA had a video of her at the garage where she was abducted and the guy that took her.

Is it at all possible they would see these boys?

Heavy cloud cover would prohibit that at the time of the initial event. Followed by darkness overnight, the first visible satellite images would be Saturday Morning. If they have access to high resolution IR images of the area, the overnight images may contain something useful.

Heavy cloud cover would prohibit that at the time of the initial event. Followed by darkness overnight, the first visible satellite images would be Saturday Morning. If they have access to high resolution IR images of the area, the overnight images may contain something useful.

Im thinking from the time it happened to now...There has to be video don't u think/
We have satelites out there watching... and im sure they watch our coastlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998