FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #2

Just another example how people don't learn. Annie Lennox's 22 yr old daughter & boyfriend were kayaking the Hudson River over the weekend. Not wearing life vests! Kayak overturned. She was rescued but the boyfriend hadn't been found as of this morning and I'm assuming he died since it's been over 24 hrs.

People without common sense will continue to become victims. Darwinism. Bad enough when all the right things are done and all the correct safety gear is worn, but putting oneself at a decided disadvantage is just plain asking for it.

You can do all the right things and still die, though. And most people survive doing all sorts of wrong things. In a free country, each person gets to decide how much risk they're willing to bear.

We never wear PFDs when kayaking. But the areas we kayak in are mostly areas where you have to watch so you don't run aground in the kayak. PFDs are hardly needed.

My husband has a list of things that he requires on board every time we go out in a small boat. Most of what the Coast Guard requires is not on that list, and most of what's on that list isn't required by the Coast Guard:

Water. Sunscreen. A paddle and an anchor (i.e., a way to move your boat, and a way to keep your boat from moving). Warm jackets in case we're stuck out there overnight. A small toolkit for making simple repairs to the engine. A first-aid kit. A few other things. All of those will be of much greater use to us in case of problems than the CG-required Type II PFD per person plus a throwable. We've had to use the paddle, the anchor, the sunscreen, the toolkit, the first aid kit, the warm jackets... we've never had to use the PFDs, not even once.

Just seen on one of the mothers fb page that someone had created a fake page in her name and is/was making posts as if they were her. Who in world would do that and what would they get out of it? smh Can't they just leave them alone? Sad

( btw, I think a WS poster suggested this early on )
https://www.facebook.com/HeliAviationFlorida
Heli Aviation is talking about someone creating a tracking system in the Florida gulf waters by placing dummies with gps trackers & recording flow pattern..to help search & rescue efforts in the future..understand what happens to humans lost @ sea & save lives.

Just seen on one of the mothers fb page that someone had created a fake page in her name and is/was making posts as if they were her. Who in world would do that and what would they get out of it? smh Can't they just leave them alone? Sad

Probably trying to get a slice of the donations. Sad and pathetic.

This case has torn me apart right from the beginning. I cannot imagine these parents' pain, and I wish them comfort and peace at this horrible time.

*Still Hoping for the boys*
:candle:

Not that it helps at this point but a search dog linked the found life jackets to the boys scents, further testing needed to confirm.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

My heart goes out to these families. What a loss.

Families say not conclusive: http://m.wpbf.com/news/search-dog-detects-scent-of-missing-teens-on-items-found-off-georgia/34696378

“The canine field evaluation was made by a single dog and its handler. We do not consider the results to be conclusive. The canine team provided preliminary indications that informed the search effort. None of the articles recovered on the Georgia coastline, in the sounds south of Savannah, had identifiable markings, e.g. stenciling, tags, etc. to confirm a linkage to the boat used by Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen. The canine team was used to evaluate the recovered articles for any linkage to the boys. As previously stated, we did not then, nor do we now, consider the results to be conclusive. After an exhaustive search of the area where those articles were recovered, the lack of new information made it impractical to continue the search using contracted (hired) services.”

Families say not conclusive: http://m.wpbf.com/news/search-dog-detects-scent-of-missing-teens-on-items-found-off-georgia/34696378

“The canine field evaluation was made by a single dog and its handler. We do not consider the results to be conclusive. The canine team provided preliminary indications that informed the search effort. None of the articles recovered on the Georgia coastline, in the sounds south of Savannah, had identifiable markings, e.g. stenciling, tags, etc. to confirm a linkage to the boat used by Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen. The canine team was used to evaluate the recovered articles for any linkage to the boys. As previously stated, we did not then, nor do we now, consider the results to be conclusive. After an exhaustive search of the area where those articles were recovered, the lack of new information made it impractical to continue the search using contracted (hired) services.”

It's very easy for search dogs to give false positives. Handlers often give the dog signals that they're not even aware of giving -- a slight tightening or movement of the leash, looking intently at the article, a pause, a turn of the head.... the dog interprets it as meaning "alert on this!"

I have no link to provide. It's what I was told -- repeatedly -- when I was in search & rescue training with my dog, by our trainer who has been doing SAR & SAR training since the 1970s.

I agree, and for some reason I have not trusted DEEMI on this: they seem out to make a name for themselves.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_28200.shtml?wap=0
Two life vests, a white throw cushion and an iPhone with a waterproof case were found off the coast of Georgia.Investigators are trying to determine if the items are linked to Austin and Perry.

what about the phone?

It's at the bottom of the ocean. Phones don't wash up. They sink. It may be at the bottom of the ocean in a waterproof case, but that won't make it float unless it was in a container meant to do so.

It's at the bottom of the ocean. Phones don't wash up. They sink. It may be at the bottom of the ocean in a waterproof case, but that won't make it float unless it was in a container meant to do so.
A phone will float if it is in a Lifeproof Lifejacket.

shop.lifeproof.com/en-us/life actio-iphone-6-lifejacket/lpax-all-iph6-lifejacket.html

A phone will float if it is in a Lifeproof Lifejacket.

shop.lifeproof.com/en-us/life actio-iphone-6-lifejacket/lpax-all-iph6-lifejacket.html
Like I said....only if it's in a container meant to do so. I have teenagers. Those boys would not carry around those hideous cases on their phones. Probably not even a regular lifeproof like I have (that sinks.) I'm pretty sure they didn't make the preparations to put a life jacket on their phone if they didn't put one on themselves. These boys, like most young teens, weren't thinking past 5 minutes ahead.

Perhaps you did not read what I post & the link- they did find an iPhone with a waterproof case.
I am simply questioning if this phone they found in the search has any connection to the missing boys

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BeachSky

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...00.shtml?wap=0
Two life vests, a white throw cushion and an iPhone with a waterproof case were found off the coast of Georgia.Investigators are trying to determine if the items are linked to Austin and Perry.

what about the phone?

<modsnip>

I know what they found. First, it is my opinion that the boys would not have that kind of case on their phone. It is not cool to have, or at least not by teens in my neck of the woods. I believe it would more likely belong to an unrelated adult. If the boys didn't make any safety preparations for themselves, I doubt one of them made this precaution, either.

Also, if the phone did belong to one of the boys, it would already be known and reported. Even with the screen locked (if enabled, and most teens do not disable this feature,) anyone could simply ask Siri who the phone belonged to, or ask the phone to "call mom," "call dad," or "call home." It can also be taken to the phone's provider store or any Apple store and the owner found using the phone's IMEI or MEID*number. I would assume that anyone smart enough to be LE or an investigator would know and have done this. I would hope so, or I might be making a huge assumption.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stawon31
Back