FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #2

KateB

Reaction score
Perry Cohen & Austin Stephanos
missing-teens.jpg

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...continues-search-for-missing-teens-nea/nm6b3/

Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen are strong swimmers and avid boaters and fisherman. They grew up on the water and had vacationed with their families in the islands 85 miles east of Palm Beach County. They had the skill and knowledge to make the journey, even if it seemed like quite a feat for boys about to start high school.
<snip>
As of 10 p.m. Saturday, the Coast Guard had searched more than 7,100 miles of ocean waters from Jupiter to Melbourne. Crews overnight were concentrating on an area 35 miles east of Fort Pierce.

Ocean currents current alone could have taken the boys far from the inlet, Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Barney said Saturday. Authorities notified the Royal Bahamian Defense Force and provided them with photos in the event they come across the teens while doing patrols, he said.

Both families are begging anyone with any information about the boys whereabouts to come forward.

Thread #1

Heli Aviation search update:
https://www.facebook.com/HeliAviationFlorida
UPDATE: We have finally got access to the northern restricted areas around the Kennedy Space Center (NASA) and the controlling agency gave us a two-hour window to search the area around the launch pads with certain restrictions our pilots have to follow. Depending on how quickly we can get funding we may be able to get started tomorrow morning already and send our aircrafts over to Jupiter, FL and then northbound towards the aforesaid restricted areas..... It is our intention to cover these largely unexplored areas meticulously and as quickly as possible and our goal is to reach Wilmington, NC....
We will provide updates about our progress on a daily basis and as soon as the pilots are able to sit down and do their review. Any assistance by the community is appreciated and we are open for all recommendations and equipment that may be helpful (including night-vision googles, HIDef camera equipment, etc.)......

Do the parents read the FB page? I thought someone said that one of the parents posted on it? If they read it, then what effect will thousands of people insisting that your children will be coming home have on you? I don't think being in denial is a good thing. I doubt you would be able to grieve properly, and it could definitely tear your family apart. I wonder if the parents will have a memorial service or funeral for the boys, and will the FB people finally accept what has happened? I don't mean 5 years from now, but in the next month or so. I feel like maybe the best thing to do is close the FB group, maybe start it up again in a month or so, when the people who are just looking for some excitement in their lives will move on to another story, and those who truly care, and will support parents whose sons died in a tragic boating accident will have a place to go.

After reading the article and the statement by the parents, I think we will see a memorial service/funeral for the boys in the coming weeks. I really hope that the people who keep saying the boys are still alive will back off after that. If they don't, I don't see it as any different than people who say the kids killed in the Sandy Hook shooting are still alive.

After reading the article and the statement by the parents, I think we will see a memorial service/funeral for the boys in the coming weeks. I really hope that the people who keep saying the boys are still alive will back off after that. If they don't, I don't see it as any different than people who say the kids killed in the Sandy Hook shooting are still alive.

I agree

Completely agree re closing the FB group.

I wonder about the half million raised for the search . Will that start the foundation ? Or will that be returned ? Or has that already been used in the searching to date?
The thread will likely stay open here because there may be clues and , sadly, UID's that come up from time to time that may be related.

It must have been a hard decision to make for the parents. But it's the right thing to do now.

May they find peace in their hearts ... at some point.

I wonder about the half million raised for the search . Will that start the foundation ? Or will that be returned ? Or has that already been used in the searching to date?
The thread will likely stay open here because there may be clues and , sadly, UID's that come up from time to time that may be related.

Blu Stephanos said they went through 100k in one day of pricate searching so I doubt there is anything left.

They certainly did everything to find their boys, more than most people would or could. Hopefully that will bring them some comfort.

Heli Aviation found a life vest today..
said it was far too aged to be related to the missing teens.

Today's Flight footage at the link:
https://www.facebook.com/HeliAviationFlorida

Well, they would have to know what the condition of the PFD was before it went in the water to draw any conclusions based on that.

I've seen plenty of PFDs in worse condition that were actually in service on boats. Heck, I own some myself that look worse than that. No way I'd take them along for offshore use, but people do.

I think a wonderful tribute to the boys (depending on the amount of money remaining) is to equip each new kid 18 years or under from Palm Beach/Martin County that passes their boating course a "spot" device ($150.00). Do this until the money runs out.? This "spot" device helps locate boaters much like a GPS. In doing something like this, it increases awareness of boater safety & may save a few lives too.

I think this idea is appropriate & fitting for the cause. I hope the parents look into this as a concept for a charity or tribute for their sons. Moo.

^^^ I think many of those would get put up for sale.

I'm not sure how giving free gear away makes one more responsible. It is up to the responsible kid and parents to make sure the boat is equipped with everything needed. If you're not capable of doing that, should you really be out in the ocean?

The Coast Guard has classes and gives courtesy inspections. They also board boats and issue citations, also make you return if you don't have the minimal gear. This is going to be one more in a long list of stories the CG will use to try to get you to boat safe.

In time, maybe produce a public service video, radio spot and posters that airs the beginning of summer and a few times throughout might be helpful. The parents can talk about all the mistakes that were made in the hopes of preventing other families from going through the same thing.

Just another example how people don't learn. Annie Lennox's 22 yr old daughter & boyfriend were kayaking the Hudson River over the weekend. Not wearing life vests! Kayak overturned. She was rescued but the boyfriend's body was found later today.

People without common sense will continue to become victims. Darwinism. Bad enough when all the right things are done and all the correct safety gear is worn, but putting oneself at a decided disadvantage is just plain asking for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back