Richard

Reaction score
Barbara Jean Barkley
Missing since May 29, 1981 from Pinellas Park, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: December 19, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 135 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

On May 29, 1981 Barbara Barkley disappeared from her place of employment, a retail store that sold PVC pipe furniture located at 9627 – 66 Street North Pinellas Park.

Barkley was working alone in the business at the time of her disappearance.

Her vehicle was later located in a parking lot at the southwest corner of US Higway 19 and State Road 60 in Clearwater.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Pinellas Park Police Department
Detective M. Lynch
727-541-0797

Agency Case Number: 81-49062

Source Information:

Pinellas Park Police Department
FDLE
The Doe Network: Case File 1724DFFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1724dffl.html
BBarkley.jpg
BBarkley1.jpg

I found a Barbara Jean Barkley , age 46 listed on Intelius in Reno and Spokane Valley. No other information.

I always tend to assume something bad happened to a person if they leave their car behind. In fact, leaving one's car pretty much automatically bumps you from "missing" to "endangered missing" on the Charley Project. I figure that (a) a car is the best means of transportation in this country and (b) they are usually quite valuable, so why would a person leave their car behind if they were just taking off on their own?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...pg=3538,4113607&dq=barbara-jean-barkley&hl=en
1981 Article. She lived with her Brother and he went to the store looking for her and discovered her missing. A calculator and a pencil were on the floor and her purse and cigarettes were in the store. There was no sign of a struggle. He is the one that filed the missing report.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...pg=2314,2053815&dq=barbara-jean-barkley&hl=en
Front page, scanned off center, you will have to look for the yellow highlighted area and then move up to the beginning of article.
A mention of Barbara's name in reference to a few women that went missing at that time.

I'm bumping this up because I think Barbara Barkley might be a match for an unidentified female I'm looking into.

I noticed Barbara does not appear in NamUs, so I contacted LE to see if they could add her info. I also asked if they have dental/DNA records on Barbara.

Does anyone know anything more about this case than has been posted here? I've found articles referring to her in connection with other crimes taking place in that area, and a couple of articles about Barbara's disappearance. I'd like to find something more about Barbara herself.

I know her brother's name is Bernard and I could try locating him as a last resort.

Does anything about this article strike you as odd?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...2dQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=clkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6622,2523879

The man mentioned in the article, JS, is still involved in tennis in Florida. It sounds like he was a little obsessed with Barbara.

Here is an article I haven't seen before about Barbara's boyfriend, and what was found in her abandoned car:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=PZE8UkGerEcC&dat=19810602&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Cushions from the store where Barbara worked were found in the back seat. Maybe consensual sex got out of hand and she was killed?

I found the following sketch of Barbara's possible abductor:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=PZE8UkGerEcC&dat=19810606&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Scroll over to page 8 and the sketch is in the middle right side. I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to do this any other way!

Here is a photo of John Brennan Crutchley:

http://twistedminds.creativescapism.com/img/post/JohnCrutchley.jpg

I know there must be a way to get these photos side-by-side, but my limited computer skills aren't up to it.

Per Wikipedia, John Crutchley (the "Vampire Rapist") was a convicted kidnapper and rapist who was suspected of murdering more than 30 women, but was never tried nor convicted of those crimes. He died in prison of autoerotic asphyxiation.

I see a resemblance between the two, but it could be my insomnia making my eyes go nuts.

Does anyone else see a resemblance? I don't know if Crutchley was in Florida in 1981, but I'm going to check him out.

If I was LE, the bf and the guy who gave the mom his trophy and had a thing for Barbara would be on my list of suspects. Both had some really strange comments to say.

<modsnip>

The boyfriend, Dan Ullian, is married and is a yacht broker.

The fact that cushions were found in the back of Barbara's car certainly makes it seem like some type of sexual encounter took place.

I agree. JS, the tennis player who gave Barbara's mom the trophy sounded really weird to me. He is still fairly big in the tennis circuit in Florida. I don't believe he is married.

The boyfriend, Dan Ullian, is married and is a yacht broker.

The fact that cushions were found in the back of Barbara's car certainly makes it seem like some type of sexual encounter took place.

The bf said in the article that the cushions where used to cover her up(conceal), I would have thought the angle you did. Kinda surprised me when I read that like, how did he know that? Also, I found him rather controlling in his own statements and especially bothered that he said she was over weight and that she dated other people. He really didnt seem too concerned IMO.

I agree, his comments about the cushions seemed odd. Why assume they were used to cover her up? He also appeared very interested in the scratches on Barbara's car.

The comment about her weight gain seemed very inappropriate under the circumstances, IMO.

He was a few years older than her and maybe he was controlling. If they had been dating as long as the article indicates, he was dating her while she was in high school and he was in his mid-twenties.

The furniture store where Barbara had worked and from where she disappeared went out of business. This business was owned by her boyfriend's family. Joan Ullian, the boyfriend's mother, said none of them could stand the thought of working there any more.

I wonder how closely LE looked at Barbara's boyfriend for this?

I keep thinking about JS, the tennis guy who had an obvious thing for Barbara. He was in the habit of dropping by her old place of business. Maybe he dropped in at her new job, Barbara told him he shouldn't be there, and things escalated from there.

I keep thinking about JS, the tennis guy who had an obvious thing for Barbara. He was in the habit of dropping by her old place of business. Maybe he dropped in at her new job, Barbara told him he shouldn't be there, and things escalated from there.

I agree that JS seems a little weird, and I think he should have been looked into... Maybe he made a pass at her when visiting her at work and she resisted, and he got angry...

I didn't like the fact either that the boyfriend said in the article that she was overweight... what a jerk! Why even mention that!

That bugs me too, like he was trying to put her down for being overweight. Why bring that up at all?

And I felt he seemed overly interested in the scratches on her car, even volunteering that it looked like the car had been driven through some brush.

His comments about the cushions in the back seat being used to cover her up were either very stupid or very incriminating, IMO.

There are a few people missing over the years in Pinellas. I just cant imagine where they would hide them, Pinellas County is pretty well developed. Maybe a few sparse areas off Bryan Dairy Rd. The bf selling boats is interesting. Wonder if he had one back then. Stretching but a thought.

There are a few people missing over the years in Pinellas. I just cant imagine where they would hide them, Pinellas County is pretty well developed. Maybe a few sparse areas off Bryan Dairy Rd. The bf selling boats is interesting. Wonder if he had one back then. Stretching but a thought.

I don't know if you are stretching or not on that. I don't know how wealthy the bf and/or his family was, but I doubt the furniture store was their only source of income since they closed it down after Barbara's disappearance.

I know nothing about that area of Florida, but I know there were a lot of disappearances all over Florida in the 70s and 80s. Some probably had to do with the drug trade.

<modsnip>.

<modsnip>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine