Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey... Lurker here.
Sorry its just my nature :oops:
I've been following Ben's story, I can't call him MH or JD .
Here's some thoughts, its totally okay to disagree. :D

1- I personally think Ben is young 30's no older.
2- He's not running from a crime but wanted to escape something, maybe life.
3- He might be hiding a lifestyle we all know what press are like if we find out who he maybe its something he didn't want out in the public.
4- I'm convinced Louisiana is correct.
In a hikers blog they mention meeting a young man who was hiking around New York and they met on of the trails -"He was happy to speak with us in french his mother is Cajun- this was Monday 01, 2017.
Bellamy is also french
Ben Bellamy is mention in The white Horseman by J.S.Grayson.
5- I do believed he twisted the truth about visiting his sister as too many hikers debunk this idea that the time frame just couldn't match.
6- I believe Ben actually reached Florida Keys its very possible in the time frame and was on his way back when his body just gave up he couldn't go any further. :(
7- Everyone had mixed reviews when it comes to codes not even people who do this for a living can make it out between being average and didn't think he played to he was on top leader board - what if its a code within a code? or something like Morse code.
8 - Yes, I see military in him, the way he wear his cap maybe his dad?
9- he said about an illness- Motor neuron disease?
10- he stayed in Georgia more than anywhere else is there a reason?
11- where did his wallet do?
12- He was incredibly smart, perfect teeth and no accent does this tell us something about his background?

Hey... Lurker here.

6- I believe Ben actually reached Florida Keys its very possible in the time frame and was on his way back when his body just gave up he couldn't go any further. :(

Great points! I want to pick your brain but I'll just ask one for now - what makes you think he made it to the Keys? This is something that I have been going back and forth on. It doesn't seem like anyone had contact (that they remembered) with him for quite a while before he was found. I believe in that time he definitely could have made it to the Keys and back. On the other hand... I can't imagine he wouldn't have been spotted in the Keys. I took a trip on google street view and was kind of shocked how long but narrow the trek would be - I had no idea! I think it would have been fairly easy to track down where he would have stayed while he was out there - if he had been. I don't know, I can't decide! Thanks for your post!

Hey... Lurker here.

1- I personally think Ben is young 30's no older.
2- He's not running from a crime but wanted to escape something, maybe life.
3- He might be hiding a lifestyle we all know what press are like if we find out who he maybe its something he didn't want out in the public.
4- I'm convinced Louisiana is correct.
In a hikers blog they mention meeting a young man who was hiking around New York and they met on of the trails -"He was happy to speak with us in french his mother is Cajun- this was Monday 01, 2017.
Bellamy is also french
5- I do believed he twisted the truth about visiting his sister as too many hikers debunk this idea that the time frame just couldn't match.
7- Everyone had mixed reviews when it comes to codes not even people who do this for a living can make it out between being average and didn't think he played to he was on top leader board - what if its a code within a code? or something like Morse code.
8 - Yes, I see military in him, the way he wear his cap maybe his dad?
9- he said about an illness- Motor neuron disease?
10- he stayed in Georgia more than anywhere else is there a reason?
11- where did his wallet do?
12- He was incredibly smart, perfect teeth and no accent does this tell us something about his background?
Can you please link the blog you mentioned in point #4?

Hey... Lurker here.

BBM & SBM

Who is J.S. Grayson? Couldn't find this name on Google.
Is "The White Horseman" a book? Couldn't find it either...

Sorry for my ignorance.

TIA

BBM & SBM

Who is J.S. Grayson? Couldn't find this name on Google.
Is "The White Horseman" a book? Couldn't find it either...

Sorry for my ignorance.

TIA

Replying to my own question.

@Rav i think you meant J.S. Graydon and not Grayson. And the name mentioned in the book is "Ben Bellamy" not Ben Bilemy.

The White Horseman

ETA: There's an interesting paragraph in the book though...

"I'm not stupid! I swear it! I promise that i'm no one. I'm Ben Bellamy. I was on a stupid camping trip that my brother was supposed to go on with my sister and dad, but my brother got sick and couldn't go. I'm not whoever you think i am."

Page 10

Last edited:
Great points! I want to pick your brain but I'll just ask one for now - what makes you think he made it to the Keys? This is something that I have been going back and forth on. It doesn't seem like anyone had contact (that they remembered) with him for quite a while before he was found. I believe in that time he definitely could have made it to the Keys and back. On the other hand... I can't imagine he wouldn't have been spotted in the Keys. I took a trip on google street view and was kind of shocked how long but narrow the trek would be - I had no idea! I think it would have been fairly easy to track down where he would have stayed while he was out there - if he had been. I don't know, I can't decide! Thanks for your post!

In the time frame he wasn't seen he could of made it there and been on his way back. I'm not sure if its just me hoping he did, that he got to destination he wanted before his knees gave out.

Hey, after looking at multi hikers posts about this they all say it's very likely he made it and was on his way. He might not of been spotted as from what I can tell - Hiker don't tend to hike that trail in warmer months as it very hot, there not shelters like on the AT its more like camp grounds and even if you reach one of them it could be a mud bath, there's a lot of off road Motorsports go on in the area and would of ignored him.

I don’t think I can link it because it’s a private Group you have to join on Facebook, but it’s called “Who Are You, Doe?”. (Sorry if it’s been shared here before...I haven’t seen it though) There is a post from the latter part of 2019 that contains images of the autopsy report, transcription of the journals, and several other things. They’ll probably be of interest to those who can’t get some of the other links to work, for whatever reason.

Thank you to those who’ve put so much into this case! Retouching photos, sharing codes, writing entire magazine articles, etc. You all are very special people in my book! :)

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-1_8-29-53.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-1_8-29-53.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 360
Another point that keeps me thinking and would love all your input.
I'm sure Trail Angel Kev quotes that Ben said he removed shut down all social media because of hackers before the trail.
so this good and bad. Good we know he did have social media, so a friends, family that he communicated with. Bad as we can't track down an inactive social media account. but someone believed he must of gone on the computer after reading his codes.
it was in a thread I read on here.
  • Talking about his notebooks
    March 27th, 2018, so Mr. Mostly Harmless went online somewhere somehow to read the announcement after it's published. At least, this is my only idea about the sentence in 4-2
    Talking about the Screeps games staying at 1,500 not changing to 3,000 as Ben had written previously
4-2 was written before the discussion in March and then 4-11 written after. So I wonder if there any computer cafe or if he did have a phone maybe up to this point and this is where he might of checked in with friends and told them he's going of grid which would only been 4 months before he died.

Last night I watched a TV program about the use of investigation via genetic d.n.a and genealogy. The investigatiors used d.n.a from a crime and a genealogist investigator to solve a hot/active case. All through the program I kept thinking of Ben. At what point in a cold case can this type of thing be used to i.d. a Doe in Fla?

Last night I watched a TV program about the use of investigation via genetic d.n.a and genealogy. The investigatiors used d.n.a from a crime and a genealogist investigator to solve a hot/active case. All through the program I kept thinking of Ben. At what point in a cold case can this type of thing be used to i.d. a Doe in Fla?

From Thread #2, Post 29

Collier County Sheriff's Office
[Comment]
Try loading a raw DNA profile to GEDMatch. It is working for cold cases.
32w
[CCSO]
This is not a criminal case. Thank you.
32w

[Comment]
What about doing a DNA test & check ancestry who he might be related to...
32w
[CCSO]
Federal privacy laws and the policies of the private companies that provide ancestry services prohibit this. Thanks.
32w
[Comment]
Collier County Sheriff's Office If that’s the case how was it used to find out who the Golden state killer was ?
32w
[CCSO]
[T]hrough court warrants. There is no crime here so warrants do not apply.
32w
FL - FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #2

“The White Horseman” by J.S. Graydon on Goodreads:
The White Horseman by J.S. Graydon

Graydon is listed as from the UK on GoodReads...but via her posts to her author's page, she's actually local to South Florida. Also reported here by Naples News.

Check out the post from October 20, 2015 here, where she has a book signing at the Barnes & Noble on the Trail in Naples as part of a spotlight on local authors.

That particular B&N is less than 2hrs by car from where he was found.

Well, everybody who watches Leroy Jethro Gibbs knows Rule # 39: there is no such thing as a coincidence.

Name
Camping trip
Sister
Book signing location

JMHO YMMV LRR

Agreed. I grew up in the area, so I have Facebook friends in common with the author. Small world.

No brother listed in the mother's obit, but her father is listed as a Sr., implying there was once a male descendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv