FL FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #4

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Gardener1850, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baberuthless

baberuthless Member

Without the facial hair, he just looks so much younger. The notebook makes sense if he was writing a lot, think about how much of a nuisance it would be to not only keep a digital note-taking device charged, but also keep it from breaking/getting damaged in a hike. He mentioned to other hikers that he deleted all social media — so he did have a digital presence at one point.

I wonder why he took so much effort to hide his identity and where his wallet went. I hope the DNA testing is helpful.

2. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

If he was running/hiding from a past, it's odd how he sure did look straight into the camera for every one of these photos. No hiding from being photographed, no matter a beard or a clean shaved face. I doubt this theory MOO.

3. moonriverfarm

Duplicate post

4. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

But at the same time, everything that could identify him was removed, and I think it was done by him before he became too ill. He didn't appear to have a name, address, or phone number (his or anyone else's) in his notebooks.

I think he was very intentional about keeping his identify unknown for whatever reason.

5. moonriverfarm

But stared straight into the camera for so many of his photos.

6. HippyArtist

HippyArtist New Member

My thought, after looking at the body, is that he was robbed. I think whoever left the bloody mark on his head, ransacked his tent and left that mess. But because the police think he was a himeless man, they blew all of that off.

7. Podengo

Podengo Well-Known Member

This question has probably been asked and answered but I haven’t seen the answer anywhere so, does anyone know if he had water in his tent? I know a bottle was found, but I don’t know if it contained water? And how was he refilling it?

8. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

I need to get caught up but......looking at the body? His tent was ransacked? I don’t remember that. What do you mean looking at the body? Photos?

beth272 and Laughing like this.
  9. whosbobby

whosbobby Active Member

What else can you tell us about this person?

Laughing likes this.
  10. Coffee56

Coffee56 Well-Known Member

Watching some Rainbow videos just in case. They have nationals and regionals but I haven’t quite figured it out yet. 2018 was held in Georgia but he wouldn’t have made that one. Close enough (beginning of July) though to think he may have been headed back that way. 2016 was in Vermont. If he was in NY at that time and a Family member I would think this is one he’d attend. There’s a lot of video footage. If the fire starting info is true I can’t imagine he was a Rainbow Family member. They appear to have some really good camping skills. The kitchens run pretty flawlessly.

sassyblue and SugarQueen like this.
  11. GatorFL

GatorFL Well-Known Member

He had almost $4000 in cash if he was robbed the robbers were incompetent.

This is the second or third comment I've seen about a bloody mark on his head. Sorry, that is fake news.

There is one postmortem photo #87 that shows the back of his head and there is no bloody mark. I believe what is represented in that photo is livor mortis where the blood pools where the body is lying after death. There is no cut or gash on his head, front or back, nor were any noted on the autopsy. As I've said before I don't think the autopsy was as through as it could have been but the ME did note all the obvious stuff.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  12. GatorFL

There is a freshwater pond at Nobles that is suitable for drinking water. What is more curious to me, did he have a filtration device or purification tablets? I'm a FL hiker, even when we pump water out of a hand pump well we filter it because of parasites.

13. GatorFL

Along with the postmortems the police took photos of the tent. What I cannot tell is if the investigators moved the tent after they took him out and then took photos of the inside.

There are pictures of the tent staked into the ground. Without stakes and guy lines that thing can be picked up and moved easily. It looks to me like that happened after the removed him. Because before they removed him the belongings in the tent looked pretty orderly.

HelenaRigby, Laughing, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  14. GatorFL

I think he chucked the wallet somewhere.

Lots of thru hikers carry a notebook. When you're not hiking, there is a lot of downtime in the afternoon and evening. He was only going 10 miles a day he told others. That's like 4-5 hours of hiking except in swamp conditions. He had to do something during his downtime and journaling, writing, etc is a great time killer, and you can do it while resting.

For those that don't hike, there are lots of solar battery chargers available for hikers. They clip to the outside of your pack and in a day it can fully charge battery which can repower an iPhone and another device like a GPS.

15. HippyArtist

HippyArtist New Member

Yes. There is. His hair is bloody. You may not have seen all 187 pictures then.

Laughing likes this.
  16. HippyArtist

HippyArtist New Member

Yes, there is. There is also blood in his hair and on his ear. You may not have seen all 187 pictures then, as I have.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  17. HippyArtist

HippyArtist New Member

Yes. 187 of them. They were released by the PD. Since they are not autopsy photos, they are public.

18. Classito

Classito Well-Known Member

When someone says they know who the person is I don't consider it a rumor. We need to remember how the Grateful Doe (Jason) and many more was matched. Someone posted they knew who it was after seeing the photo.

19. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

Can anyone provide a link so I can look at them. I am way out of the loop.

20. GatorFL

I saw the pics I will take another look.

moonriverfarm and SugarQueen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.