Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can hardly wait to see which one! I especially LOVE IT when someone thinks they’ve gotten away with murder all these years and then BOOM! There go the sweet retirement years & community reputation. How soon will the announcement be released?

JudgeJoe. Your username plus this comment is hilarious :D.

I’ve mentioned before that his calculations were off, he knew some of what he was doing nutrition wise but not as much as you claim :) 1 gram of carbs equals 4 calories, 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of protein is 4 calories and this doesn’t always add upp in his calculations. So not a pro! And the ideal numbers for daily intake that is written above these calculations is very low for someone burning a lot of calories hiking, 65 grams of fat is very low!
This and others' past comments reminded me of his use of the word "nutrion". Given the degree of grammatical correctness elsewhere, this stands out as an odd misspelling of "nutrition", unless it's use is intentional. Someone previously pointed out an old (MS-DOS?) program named Nutrion once existed. There is also now a company named Nutrion (nutrionus.com) that markets customized pre-packaging of nutritional supplements. The meal replacement trend is closely related - think Soylent Green, like in the movie, it's been a fad of sorts within the Silicon Valley start-up/coder culture. There's even a company named Soylent. Maybe "nutrion" was intentional and refers to this company or a similar venture being planned.

Last edited:
This and others' past comments reminded me of his use of the word "nutrion". Given the degree of grammatical correctness elsewhere, this stands out as an odd misspelling of "nutrition", unless it's use is intentional. Someone previously pointed out an old (MS-DOS?) program named Nutrion once existed. There is also now a company named Nutrion (nutrionus.com) that markets customized pre-packaging of nutritional supplements. The meal replacement trend is closely related - think Soylent Green, like in the movie, it's been a fad of sorts within the Silicon Valley start-up/coder culture. There's even a company named Soylent. Maybe "nutrion" was intentional and refers this company or a similar venture being planned.
Here's more on Soylent. They also make bars called "Soylent Squared"
How Soylent Is Balancing Its Exotic Past With Its Mainstream Future
"The company first launched in 2013 with a powdered nutritional formula for mixing into liquids. The powder, popular among hackers and gamers, is "open-source," in that recipes are available online for anyone who wants to make their own version."

Here's more on Soylent. They also make bars called "Soylent Squared"
How Soylent Is Balancing Its Exotic Past With Its Mainstream Future
"The company first launched in 2013 with a powdered nutritional formula for mixing into liquids. The powder, popular among hackers and gamers, is "open-source," in that recipes are available online for anyone who wants to make their own version."
Knowing the movie plot of Soylent Green... well, it’s just sounding a bit creepy isn’t it.

Knowing the movie plot of Soylent Green... well, it’s just sounding a bit creepy isn’t it.
Perhaps it is. I wouldn't have chosen that name if it were my company. I'm just trying to connect the dots here and to suggest why someone with a deep software/gaming background might also have found an interest in nutritional calculations. I'm dubious that MH's interest in this was instead due to some kind of eating disorder.

Personally, I prefer real food. But the concept of pre-mixed meal replacements isn't that weird when you consider it's pretty much what we've been feeding our pets for decades.

Perhaps it is. I wouldn't have chosen that name if it were my company. I'm just trying to connect the dots here and to suggest why someone with a deep software/gaming background might also have found an interest in nutritional calculations. I'm dubious that MH's interest in this was instead due to some kind of eating disorder.

Personally, I prefer real food. But the concept of pre-mixed meal replacements isn't that weird when you consider it's pretty much what we've been feeding our pets for decades.

My opinion is that all the nutritional details are related to gaming, nothing to do with real life. Mainly because he uses the word 'nanites'. I also agree with the poster who suggests MH didn't misspell nutrition but that he was creating another term for a type of food, nutrion.

The notes are a fascinating window to a mystery, but I don't think they will unlock who he is/was. I just hope Othram can solve the puzzle. I'm also gearing up for us never being told who he is, which has happened before.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has put one ounce of effort into trying to identify this hiker. We don’t always agree with one another and sometimes it gets down to grasping at straws, but I know the majority of us are working towards one main goal - giving this man his name back. I’ve been amazed at so many people’s dedication and willingness to go above and beyond for a perfect stranger. It doesn’t go unnoticed!!!

- Impatiently waiting.

It's eerily quiet on this thread, but we haven't forgotten you, MH. Rest peacefully, young man. You'll be home soon.

I certainly did not forget him. Following this case through other channels.
BTW I came across this missing man, age would be way off, but the interesting thing is he was living from a trust fund (and kind of resembles Mostly Harmless, maybe ears are standing out much more)

Dean Merlin Lewis – The Charley Project

Lewis was last seen on September 25, 2003, entering Hamlin Beach State Park in New York, driving his 1987 Volkswagen van. A photograph of the van is posted with this case summary. Lewis, who is from San Francisco, California, was traveling the east coast at the time of his disappearance. He stayed in campgrounds in state parks. He has never been heard from again.

On September 29, his van was found abandoned at Hamlin Beach State Park; the park authorities contacted police and reported Lewis's disappearance at this time.

Lewis enjoys doing extensive traveling and has lived in his van, which has a kitchen and sleeping area, for months at a time. He relies on a trust fund to support himself. His family says he kept to himself but it is uncharacteristic for him not to contact them for this long a time. His case remains unsolved.

• Missing Since 09/25/2003
  • Missing From Hamlin Beach State Park, New York
  • Date of Birth 02/18/1961 (59)
  • Age42 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'1, 175 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Lewis wore his hair in a ponytail when he was last seen. He wears eyeglasses (he could have lasered his eyes)
upload_2020-10-4_7-35-1.pngupload_2020-10-4_7-35-58.png

I certainly did not forget him. Following this case through other channels.
BTW I came across this missing man, age would be way off, but the interesting thing is he was living from a trust fund (and kind of resembles Mostly Harmless, maybe ears are standing out much more)

I personally don't think he looks like our MH. Also, as you said... DML would be close to 60 now. MH doesn't look close to 60 to me.

Really wanting that dna. If MH was an only child & his parents were only children and deceased, what are the odds we’ll ever know who he was? What’s the closest you could ascertain in that kind of a scenario @othram? Or anyone else who is savvy with familial dna? Curious!

I know we've beaten to death the cause that might have initiated MH's descent into starvation but I came across this illness. I can't remember if it has been brought up before but Whipple Disease is a bacterial disease that interferes with the body's ability to absorb nutrients.

Here's a link to the disease. Notice the 5 most common traits of the disease experienced by 80 - 99% of people stricken with the disease. I know that an autopsy probably would show some evidence of this disease but it is extremely rare. I've also posted another link regarding symptoms and treatment.

Whipple disease | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD) – an NCATS Program

What Is Whipple’s Disease?

Like everyone else I am waiting patiently for Othram's DNA results.

I know we've beaten to death the cause that might have initiated MH's descent into starvation but I came across this illness. I can't remember if it has been brought up before but Whipple Disease is a bacterial disease that interferes with the body's ability to absorb nutrients.

Here's a link to the disease. Notice the 5 most common traits of the disease experienced by 80 - 99% of people stricken with the disease. I know that an autopsy probably would show some evidence of this disease but it is extremely rare. I've also posted another link regarding symptoms and treatment.

Whipple disease | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD) – an NCATS Program

What Is Whipple’s Disease?

Like everyone else I am waiting patiently for Othram's DNA results.
- weight loss
- Joint pain
- belly pain
- dark spots on skin
- diarrhea

Could be. The bacteria that causes it comes from soil- lots of contact with soil hiking AT. Or anywhere.

- weight loss
- Joint pain
- belly pain
- dark spots on skin
- diarrhea

Could be. The bacteria that causes it comes from soil- lots of contact with soil hiking AT. Or anywhere.

Those are listed but the first link shows these:

Medical Terms Other Names
Learn More:
HPO ID

80%-99% of people have these symptoms:
Abdominal pain - Pain in stomach
Anorexia[URL='https://hpo.jax.org/app/browse/term/HP:0002039'] [/URL]
Arthralgia - Joint pain
Arthritis - Joint inflammation
Cachexia -Wasting syndrome

Does anyone know how much longer it's going to be before the DNA stuff is done? I keep hoping that it will be finished soon and he can be given his name back and returned to his family.

Should be very soon, the data is coming off the DNA sequencer now. Next steps are building a kit and starting the genealogical search!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo