FL FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #5

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Gardener1850, Aug 3, 2018.

1. wary

wary Well-Known Member

You’d have him as a possibility—someone who was missing. He might be the only one of the possibilities who was missing. Then there’s photographs of him, or dentist’s records.

2. Canaille

Canaille Well-Known Member

I see a resemblance, but it’s my opinion that MH was much younger.

3. Curious_in_NC

Curious_in_NC Well-Known Member

OK, here's another. The age is within range and the date and location last seen might fit for MH. This picture from the Post shows a striking similarity IMO. But for this to really fit there would have to have been an extensive tattoo removal during the missing years.
    [​IMG]

4. branmuffin

branmuffin Well-Known Member

Even with tattoo removal there is always vestigial evidence of the tattoo. A huge back tattoo of an octopus would probably still be evident, especially since MH underwent a full body xray. He also seems too tall. Not sure if this guy was in the military but if he was his fingerprints would be on file. Not much to find on him.

5. Canaille

Canaille Well-Known Member

I think MH hair color was darker. But without looking at pics of MH, I seem to remember him looking like he had a little bit of reddish in his facial hair. Y’all have done a pretty darn good job lately of finding some that have resemblance to him, in my opinion.

youcancallmeal, Laughing and MadMcGoo like this.
  6. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

Great update, thanks!

7. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Maybe I have to take some time off.

Good luck! Fingers crossed.

8. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Maybe I have to take some time off.

OT It's creepy indeed. IMO everybody should watch this "cult" movie....although already dated, the message is still very strong, even today or should I say especially nowadays as Mother Earth is fighting back.

9. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

I know back in the beginning of this I found a young woman on one of the hiker blogs who was hiking very near Denim during the same time, and she had to leave the trail suddenly because she became very ill due to (I think) some sort of bacteria. Of course I can’t find the information now, but I’m fairly certain I mentioned it here. Seems like it was somewhere further south that she became ill.

10. Curious_in_NC

My apologies to everyone for posting this potentially misleading suggestion. Unfortunately it appears that NA is deceased. I can't explain why he is still being listed as missing on that NY missing persons web site. It may not be a reliable source. Notably he was not listed in NAMUS.

11. Curious_in_NC

I think you might be referring to this AT journal post from mid-October 2017. This was near the NC/TN section of the AT. No bacteria, but it does mention a hiatus due to norovirus.
    Rolling Thunder's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Day 144: A low point to start, a high point to finish : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

12. MadMcGoo

13. MadMcGoo

There was an update on the Unidentified Male Hiker Facebook page a little while ago. Says Othram announced that DNA testing is complete and they’ve moved onto the genealogy research phase. I’m not sure who runs that page and I didn’t see anything recent on Othram’s page, so I’m not sure of the source. For some reason I thought this was old news.

14. Kudzu

Kudzu Well-Known Member

Othram posted it here Sunday. Post #323.

Fireflize, j_in_c, MadMcGoo and 8 others like this.
  15. MadMcGoo

Thank you! I thought I’d already seen it somewhere. ;)

16. Curious_in_NC

Unfortunate news from the other end of the AT this week: according to a Baxter State Park news release, a male hiker was found dead on the summit of Mt. Katahdin Thursday morning. One person on SM suggested it was due to hypothermia, but that is just speculation and it is clearly too soon to know the actual circumstances. Another hiker there died Wednesday. The news release doesn't say anything more about that, but it may have been a 75 year old gentleman who was rescued earlier and was in critical condition following a fall. News

17. Curious_in_NC

Follow up - the first hiker, the 75 year old, was identified as a well known New England journalist. Veteran Massachusetts journalist dies after 50-foot fall on Katahdin
    No word yet on the second hiker found on the summit, other than he was a "young male hiker". Baxter Officials: Two Mount Katahdin Hiker Deaths In Two Days

I had a personal interest in this as a friend's son was through hiking the AT and was in Maine, but seems now to be temporarily off the trail. My hunch is this second hiker, the one found on the summit, was unlikely to be a through hiker, and more likely was a day hiker caught out in the elements over night. MOO

Truman, branmuffin, j_in_c and 7 others like this.
  18. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

IMO, the sad reality is, some hikers find themselves unprepared for the environment they are in, especially if weather changes drastically. Then you have sudden medical emergencies or a lone hiker who suddenly blew a knee, as an example, with no ER communication device.

Mother Nature is beautiful but can be very unforgiving.

SAR is busy, especially during peak seasons.

IMO

sceawian, Truman, branmuffin and 8 others like this.
  19. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

AT is like no other trail I’ve ever been on. I’ve hiked steeper, higher altitude, extreme heat, less populated trails that are so much easier. AT left me feeling like a total wuss. The trail surface is so constantly uneven- embedded rocks & roots are unrelenting. This single difference is what makes the trail tougher; your foot is rarely coming down on an even surface. Add to that the weight of your pack & the increased constant torque of your ankles, knees & hips and fatigue, injury & accidents are almost inevitable. At first I thought it was just my aging bod & diminished fitness level. But along the way you meet other experienced hikers who’ve done Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, international treks, etc. And so many concur AT is butt-kicking tougher. IMO, little training/prep can prepare your joints/ tendons/ ligaments for that constantly jagged surface. Imo, jmo, etc.

sceawian, Tabirey, Laughing and 17 others like this.
  20. zinnia2020

zinnia2020 Member

Where may I find the Trace Evidence Podcast?