Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also not trying to say that MH specifically had this disease, but the story is interesting because of how it deteriorated an outstanding young Green Beret into a skeleton of a man who may have lost his life if his parents had not intervened.

Ousted Green Beret Was Sick

Creutsfeld-Jacob destroys the brain. As in physically destroys. ME would not miss it during the autopsy.

I suspect MH was ill with something that caused malabsorption. That means he ate (and therefore prouced stool) but his small intestine was unable to absorb the nutrients ftom the food. He got weak, thought it was temporary and a couple of days in a tent would help him regain some strength. Days turned into weeks, he got weaker and weaker , got into marasmus and, oh well, we know how it ended, sadly.

Unfortunate news from the other end of the AT this week: according to a Baxter State Park news release, a male hiker was found dead on the summit of Mt. Katahdin Thursday morning. One person on SM suggested it was due to hypothermia, but that is just speculation and it is clearly too soon to know the actual circumstances. Another hiker there died Wednesday. The news release doesn't say anything more about that, but it may have been a 75 year old gentleman who was rescued earlier and was in critical condition following a fall. News
The hiker from the summit of Mt. Katahdin was identified today. It seems to fit the hypothermia scenario but why someone would continue to an exposed summit instead of going down below the treeline to seek shelter when conditions worsened is hard to explain.
Hiker Found Dead on Summit Identified

I sent the notes on the case/code to my son (senior computer engr mgr.), and he glanced at said it appears to be an essay on a program with snippets of code, like he is documenting a game.

If they have some of his code check if there is a .git folder or use code snippets to search open source projects. He may have had a github account that would have tied his code to an email address.

I looked at github and found a Benjamin with similar/differently spelled last name and picture, (not him), but perhaps he was a follower?

My son is very busy but he said he would take a better look at the code and github at a later date to try and match it up. (I am not a computer person so I hope I have relayed this accurately.)

I sent the notes on the case/code to my son (senior computer engr mgr.), and he glanced at said it appears to be an essay on a program with snippets of code, like he is documenting a game.

If they have some of his code check if there is a .git folder or use code snippets to search open source projects. He may have had a github account that would have tied his code to an email address.

I looked at github and found a Benjamin with similar/differently spelled last name and picture, (not him), but perhaps he was a follower?

My son is very busy but he said he would take a better look at the code and github at a later date to try and match it up. (I am not a computer person so I hope I have relayed this accurately.)
The code has been pretty well researched. It's for a game called Screeps. And the owners of Screeps were not interested in helping research who he might be.

The hiker from the summit of Mt. Katahdin was identified today. It seems to fit the hypothermia scenario but why someone would continue to an exposed summit instead of going down below the treeline to seek shelter when conditions worsened is hard to explain.

Malnutrition can do horrible things not only to your body, but also to your mind. Someone starving can even become psychotic.

I know someone else transcribed most of the pages of the large notebook and put the typed results on Imgur. They said some pages were too messy and they didn’t get to the smaller notebook. I’ve been working on transcribing the messy pages and smaller notebook, would I be able to post an Imgur link or something similar here? Just a last effort to see if anyone recognizes his code or writing.

Edit: Someone posted an Imgur link in an old thread of the old transcriptions, so I’ll post mine when I’m done, which should be later today :)

Last edited:
Malnutrition can do horrible things not only to your body, but also to your mind. Someone starving can even become psychotic.
Sorry for any confusion, but this was referring to a separate case where someone recently died alone at the complete opposite end of the FT/AT, not MH. I don't think malnutrition had anything to do with it.

"Summit fever" is a real phenomena, as you get closer, you think you will have time to make it up (and then back down) safely.

I know someone else transcribed most of the pages of the large notebook and put the typed results on Imgur. They said some pages were too messy and they didn’t get to the smaller notebook. I’ve been working on transcribing the messy pages and smaller notebook, would I be able to post an Imgur link or something similar here? Just a last effort to see if anyone recognizes his code or writing.

Edit: Someone posted an Imgur link in an old thread of the old transcriptions, so I’ll post mine when I’m done, which should be later today :)

This is great, good luck in your transcription! I look forward to seeing what you can make out.

Kudos that you became a podiatrist, however, I fail to see how that gives you the ability to interpret whether an individual is avoiding eye contact or is avoiding looking at the sun. As a lay person, wrong or not, I am quite comfortable going with the latter!

Did the coroner overlook evidence of arthritis, psoriatic or rheumatoid during autopsy? I thought it seemed that MH was depressingly healthy other than the fact he died from starvation and cachexia.

And try as I might, I can't recall one individual who met him in the flesh suggesting MH was not who he seemed to be, that in reality he was shifty eyed and untrustworthy hiding his true demeanor or personality.

I didn't refute anything about his right foot metatarsal since I'm not a podiatrist. You can't refute what you aren't aware of. However, since you are an expert in the field of podiatry (which might be a good idea to become a verified expert in your field, btw) can you show me on this image where there is evidence of psoriatic arthritis?
Where did you get the photos?? I've only seen the photo of his scar.

Stopping by to see if there has been any developments on this case. I think of him often and wonder when we'll see him ID'd. Someone loved him at some point, it's so sad he remains nameless. Hoping for news soon.
We are waiting on Othram to complete the forensics. DNA has been extracted.

I think the aforementioned comment was on a Facebook post of an article about his possible connection to Lake George. I think it was a New York paper

I’m late to the party here on websleuths but I’m from the Glens Falls/Lake George area and around the same age as MH. I don’t know how much the MP photos show, but If anyone has images of his face in the PM photos and could send them to me either cropped or uncropped, I don’t care, I would be grateful. I am thinking that if he is the possible person I’m thinking of, he had an eating disorder back when I was hanging out with an overlapping group of ours (late ‘90’s and very early 2000’s). It’s very hard to tell given time and his looking much healthier in early photos. I can’t find this person on social media. I have had some contact with Collier County Sheriff’s Office, but I can’t be certain and would like to put my mind at ease. I have zero knowledge of his family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches