Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Gardener1850, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetsbeach

Sweetsbeach Well-Known Member

I ran it past my programming peeps and have come to the same conclusion.

2. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Way upthread a poster told us that the State of Florida holds to a very high privacy standard, so we do not have the autopsy results and there is unlikely to be a DNA comparison.

AFAIK YMMV

3. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

That particular sheet looks like he might have been analyzing the flow of game play, or something like that.

Java is what they call an "object oriented" language, so at the design stage you're mostly trying to figure out what the objects are, what they do, and how they fit together. If you do a good job of that, and think it through properly, the code kind of falls into place* when you get that far. The letters and symbols in the circles could represent keyboard keys, as mentioned above, or might be shorthand for the kind of actions he envisioned in the game, or places the players would visit.

*drastically oversimplified.

4. Phaelenopsis Amabilis

Phaelenopsis Amabilis Active Member

I don’t mean to pester, but do you have any more pages you’d be willing to share with us? I showed it to a programming friend and he’s very enthusiastically digging into it.
    Cheers, and thank you for sharing what you did!

BRS, neesaki, branmuffin and 14 others like this.
  5. Vespertine

Vespertine Active Member

I'm interested in seeing if every page is written exactly like that and to see the last few pages of code.

6. PatLaurel

PatLaurel Well-Known Member

Do you know if they tried to look for writing indentations?

7. Savemecastiel

Savemecastiel Well-Known Member

8. Narkj

Narkj Well-Known Member

I don't know about writing indentations. Does anyone know if he was ever spotted in Tennessee, North Carolina or the Florida panhandle? I recall one FB comment mention he hitched a ride with "some girls" instead of doing the Alambama Road Walk on the Pinhoti

9. Narkj

Narkj Well-Known Member

Yes, here's another example. A lot of the notebook looks like this.

Attached Files:

hopimarie, BRS, kdsmith21 and 15 others like this.
  10. Ursamajr

Ursamajr Well-Known Member

11. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Except for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines, each line is the mirror image of the left and right side of itself. Don't know what it means but it's something I see.

Edit to add. In reference to the first code page.

12. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Also,I hate to say this, but when I have experienced a few dementia patients, who had a focus on money, I'd find pages and pages of meaningless numbers among their things. If this guy was in computer industry, he could've been losing it from delerium and the numbers and letters could be meaningless, but I would still assume their pattern would be somewhat recognizable to someone in that field.

13. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

Yes, he found it very interesting. He is almost certain that it was written in a state of mental...disorder? I can’t think of the word. He used schizophrenic and that’s close I guess. Mania! That’s it. He said he knows several people in his class who are the same way. Extremely intelligent when it comes to coding, but very socially awkward, quiet, and “in their own heads” a lot of the time.

That doesn’t really sound like the Denim we’ve seen described by other hikers, which makes me wonder when exactly he started really making notes in this book he had. And how much of this he had.

He could have slowly been deteriorating mentally (for whatever reason) as he progressed through his hike. That would explain a lot in my opinion. Including why he died the way he did. It would have been near impossible to detect a mental illness or psychotic break during an autopsy.

Like several people have said in recent comments combined with what my friend was telling me, I agree that this was more of doodling and brainstorming than anything. May be why the bottom part has an “X” through it? He was trying to come to a certain solution and didn’t get it. Or not on this page anyway. Whatever it is, my friend seemed to recognize the structure of it, although he didn’t go into detail about what every character meant or represented, he knows I’d have no clue what he’s talking about. :p And he might not know either, like Coffee56 said, it could be shorthand that’s somewhat unique to him and his method of coding or calculating.

I’m glad CCSO released the pages to someone! Hopefully they will release it publicly. I think someone would definitely be able to at least explain a little better what we’re looking at. Very interesting stuff, IMO.

hopimarie, Al Ka, neesaki and 17 others like this.
  14. Catmommy

Catmommy I see more than I say

As far as we know, Denim starved to death despite having assets to prevent that in his possession. He has note books filled with "code" which would be known to only him. He was Mostly Harmless except to himself, it seems, as he was the author of his own demise. Mental skipping for whatever reason and a sad existence and death, in my opinion only. I'll never forget him whoever he really was.

15. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I also think back to the lori ruff case and the stuff found in her lock box, which didn’t help anyone solve anything, and instead sent people (myself included) down deep rabbit holes.

LaLaw2000, Al Ka, neesaki and 14 others like this.
  16. Narkj

Narkj Well-Known Member

I hear you on the rabbit holes, if he’s not from Baton Rouge I wasted a good 10 hours look at yearbook photos.

17. Phaelenopsis Amabilis

I’m not a numbers person sadly, but this page absolutely floors me. It’s kind of incredible and bizarre all at once, to my untrained eye.

*edit for grammar*

SugarQueen, Al Ka, neesaki and 8 others like this.
  18. Phaelenopsis Amabilis

Worth a try, tho!

19. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

I don't think it will solve anything either, but it could help create interest.

Here's my version:

upload_2020-3-24_13-45-32.png

20. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about designing games and very little about coding, but if 'Sp' means 'spawn' then maybe it could be a game flow diagram of some kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.