Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Attempt%20to%20identify%20Collier%20hiker_1533232465182.JPG_93999161_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Noble%E2%80%99s%20Campground%20in%20Big%20Cypress%20National%20Preserve%202_1533232465249.jpg_93999163_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Noble%E2%80%99s%20Campground%20in%20Big%20Cypress%20National%20Preserve%203_1533232465135.jpg_93999160_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Noble%E2%80%99s%20Campground%20in%20Big%20Cypress%20National%20Preserve%201_1533232465183.jpg_93999162_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. -- Collier County investigators are looking for help identifying a man who was found dead in a remote campground in Big Cypress National Preserve.
According to the Collier County Sheriff's Office, the unidentified man was found on July 23rd in Noble's Camp, approximately 5 miles north of Interstate 75.
He had no identification, and it appeared that he had been living in the preserve.

Investigators want help identifying man found dead at preserve campsite

Law enforcement has created a composite sketch of what the man may have looked like. He is described as being between 35 and 50 years old, 5-foot-8 and a very lean 83 pounds, with salt and pepper hair and beard. The deceased man had blue/gray eyes and his teeth were in excellent condition. He was found wearing a beige shirt, green shorts, and black Salomon hiking boots. He was also using hiking equipment including black and copper Outdoor Products hiking poles and a two-person yellow Brooks-Range Mountaineering brand, Foray model tent.

http://naplesherald.com/2018/08/03/...-identify-body-found-in-big-cypress-preserve/

The tent and boots are not cheap. Cant tell if the poles are due to lack of info on model. Combined with teeth in excellent condition, this gentleman, at least at one time, was not poor. The tent seems to be a 2013 model. They may want to date the boot model and poles, and then go from there. Since Nobles is so close to 75- he may have hitchhiked. Unless they have a medical cause for that lost weight, I'd say he has been in the preserve for quite awhile. So sad.

"NATIONAL PRESERVE'S NORTHERN BOUNDARY TO INTERSTATE 75
Approximately 8 miles one way

This section of trail follows Nobles Grade, an old oil road, through hardwood, prairie and pinelands. Beyond the national preserve boundary the trail is limited to a small number of hikers who are members of the Florida Trail Association per month traveling through the Seminole Reservation.
Please contact the Florida Trail Association for more information"

Florida National Scenic Trail - Big Cypress National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Looking at the map, he could have hiked in at mile marker 63 or in from the Seminole Reservation ( supposed to be a Fl trail member but...). These are the most obvious routes due to there being a trail.

Last edited:
This is a photo of the man that was posted to the Florida Trail Association. They believe this is the man that was found but only know him as "Mostly Harmless", his hiking tag. You can even see the two hiking poles, same brand & everything. The grey & white Columbia hat. In the second photo he's basically wearing what the Doe was found wearingView attachment 140879 View attachment 140880

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1533371912527.jpg
    FB_IMG_1533371912527.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 2,644
  • FB_IMG_1533372188012.jpg
    FB_IMG_1533372188012.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,844
This is a photo of the man that was posted to the Florida Trail Association. They believe this is the man that was found but only know him as "Mostly Harmless", his hiking tag. You can even see the two hiking poles, same brand & everything. The grey & white Columbia hat. In the second photo he's basically wearing what the Doe was found wearingView attachment 140879 View attachment 140880

If that is him, he looks to have been a healthy weight at the time those photos were taken. If he was terminally ill that would have shown up at autopsy, and given his age range I'd suggest cancer if he was nearer 50 and maybe something like HIV or leukaemia if he was nearer the lower end of the range.

I wonder how long it would take for someone to go from a healthy weight to approaching skeletal, whether due to terminal illness or starvation.

I'm convinced. The photo and sketch are quite similar and the gear is a good match.

I would just like to say you have some seriously good sleuthing skills. Good job!

Interesting, looking up “Mostly Harmless” brings up Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Mostly Harmless - Wikipedia

Mostly Harmless is a 1992 novel by Douglas Adams and the fifth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. It is described on the cover of the first editions as "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Trilogy". It was the last Hitchhiker's book written by Adams and his final book released in his lifetime.

I would just like to say you have some seriously good sleuthing skills. Good job!

Ha, I can't take credit for finding the photos, they were beginning to spread on FB before I found them!

I did find some good info from hikers that had encountered him a few times. He was hiking the ECT, Eastern Continental Divide & and he decided to do it with no phone & no GPS. Many people do this hike each year. They run into eachother, set up places for people to stop and eat, stop for supply drops & sometimes stay in hostels, which it sounds MH did at least once.

Several of the hikers even saw his tent there in that spot but assumed whoever was in it was tired & just left him alone when they didn't get an answer.

He is known to be a very experienced hiker with very good quality equipment.

From a couple other hikers, they say he was working for food during the hike. It sounds likely that he ended up getting too weak at some point when no other hikers were around to ask for help until it was too late.

Several others who have done this hike before have had to call it quits part way because they had lost over 40+ plus pounds & were too weak & delirious to continue. At one point MH was asking for directions to a hostel. Without a phone, he couldn't get much help.

These trails, like ECT, Appalaichan Trail & the Florida Trail have several groups on FB. People are constantly posting on there during their hike with photos & updates on supply drops. One hiker had commented in June I think that MH had missed a supply drop and needed some directions & he asked someone to leave the info on a note for him at one of the stops.

He was said to be an extremely friendly but quiet guy, and so far I haven't found anybody that knows his actual name. He is listed on the ECT Thru-Hike's website as part of the ECT class of 2018, but unlike the other people listed who had their actual name, their trail name & where they are from, his only said Mostly Harmless.

Someone, somewhere has to know this sweet man. The hikers are all very sad & said he was a great guy & very kind. One hiker said while talking to him that he mentioned he was in one of the FB groups which I tried combing through a couple of last night to no avail. I couldn't figure out which one they were talking about though.

Maybe Robert Wayne Roush?

Missing Person Case

"Indicated to family that he had interest in hiking the Appalachian Trail. Spoke to sister on telephone from Virginia stating that he lost his wallet, but retained his New York ID."

Perhaps he hiked the AT and kept on hiking after that?

Height is a range: 5'8"-5'11" - UID was 5'8".
Weight 160lb -- IMO, it would be believable that he could have gone down below 100 lbs if he hiked for 3 years and only ate what others gave him or what he could catch himself.

Eyes say hazel, not blue-grey, but that could be incorrect-- It's hard to tell eye color from photos but his seem like they could appear greyish in some lighting.

If anyone feels this is a potential match, please submit, thanks.

Maybe Robert Wayne Roush?

Missing Person Case

"Indicated to family that he had interest in hiking the Appalachian Trail. Spoke to sister on telephone from Virginia stating that he lost his wallet, but retained his New York ID."

Perhaps he hiked the AT and kept on hiking after that?

Height is a range: 5'8"-5'11" - UID was 5'8".
Weight 160lb -- IMO, it would be believable that he could have gone down below 100 lbs if he hiked for 3 years and only ate what others gave him or what he could catch himself.

Eyes say hazel, not blue-grey, but that could be incorrect-- It's hard to tell eye color from photos but his seem like they could appear greyish in some lighting.

If anyone feels this is a potential match, please submit, thanks.
Original

Gardener...those eyes. I think this is probably him. IDK how to submit, but someone needs to turn this in asap.

The hair coloring and beard line on his face is what made me think he could be a match too.

Attempt%20to%20identify%20Collier%20hiker_1533232465182.JPG_93999161_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Original
Original

I'm not sure his nose is a match though-- the sketch is more upturned.

This is the only info I can find on how to "submit: as he is not in NAMUS yet-- requires a phone call to Florida:
"Anyone with information about the man’s identity is asked to call the Collier County Sheriff’s Office at 239-252-9300."
Investigators want help identifying man found dead at preserve campsite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member