GUILTY FL - Bodies of couple, 2 sons found along turnpike, Port St Lucie, 13 Oct 2006

Technicalities, they require a sound mind to determine. If you have a blue and red light signaling you down and no cellie, how are you going to know where the closest police station is? Color me a bit clueless, but if I were in an unfamiliar area, I would have no idea what to do but drive until they took me over, which is what real cops would do. They would pull out around and in front of your car so you had to stop.

I think Cheetah had a similar run-in as this family, but she escaped as she drove faster than they could and caught up with traffic.

It is not a known fact that the killer was driving in the car with this family all along.

Scandi

...officer for ID, and if it looks hinky, you can call in the badge number on your cell to the local PD (calling the non-emergency #, of course), to verify it...

I think that either this family was riding with someone they knew who turned on them, or, there was some kind of ruse by someone to stop their car...

Now, since carjacking has been ruled out, this has to be a revenge thing, which is why I am curious as to whether either parent was in law enforcement...

Amraann said:
A couple of points.....

Someone above mentioned they would use Sunpass... I doubt whoever did this would us Sunpass as its paid via creditcard. Would be a direct link to place you on the Turnpike that night.
I think a killer has a much better chance paying a person since they see so many everyday they hardly look at anyone.
Thanks for the correction. Not having used one but just seeing them for sale in Publix or wherever I had thought they were a little like a pre-paid calling card or the kind of thing one uses at Kinkos, ie essentially not tracable. But I see on the official Turnpike site you need to register and this info is recorded when you pass through the electronic gate.

Though it still doesn't alter my basic take, which is that this is a kinda risky place to choose to commit such a crime. While I'm sure the toll operators' eyes do glaze over about 5 minutes into a shift, the person responsible is still placing themselves right with the victims (or their car) within a few hours prior to and after the murders. which, being the overnight, and therefore many fewer drivers and cars for the attendant to remember, seems like a huge chance to take for any would-be killer.

Beyond Belief said:
We may be looking at this in the wrong direction. Its possible, someone hi jacked them in their own area and forced them to drive north to pick up something or somebody, then committed the murder on the way back.
Good point and based on what little information has been released, certainly not impossible.

scandi said:
It is not a known fact that the killer was driving in the car with this family all along.
No, not a known fact. OTOH, as far as I can tell, the police, at least publicly, seem to think that's the case and are working on that assumption. Doesn't mean it's not a faulty assumption and of course have no idea why they're reasoning that way, but the alternative (eg two [or more] individuals in a car pull them over, kill the family, one takes the family's car and the other drives the vehicle the killers drove) hasn't been given any play in the press.

Black Jeep Cherokee found this morning at about 9:15 am at the 3200 block of Tuxedo Avenue in West Palm Beach (the Belvedere exit off of I-95).

It's being transported to the sheriff's dept to (was it St Lucie county?) be tested for forensics.

This info source was Fox News and is still covering the case now. Orlando Salinas reporting from So FL.

cappuccina said:
...officer for ID, and if it looks hinky, you can call in the badge number on your cell to the local PD (calling the non-emergency #, of course), to verify it...
The only trouble is if it's a fake cop looking to grab someone now you are face to face with them if you pull over. If they have a gun and order you out of the car what then? This is why in south FL we need police in police cars. Not that other states don't also, I can't really speak for them. All I know is south Florida is literally crawling with sex offenders, and other criminals looking to harm people.

SewingDeb said:
http://www.wesh.com/news/10084391/detail.html

Slain Family's SUV Found In Palm Beach Co.

Hopefully now they can get some answers.

I saw in another article the father's 29th birthday was to be Saturday.

This is a horrible crime. I truly hope they find who did this.

It's heart-breaking, the mother protecting the children. She probably did that when they shot her husband first.

My prayers to the family and friends.

fran

If you don't have a cell and you are uncertain if it's a police officer pulling you over or not you don't have to drive to a police station-any public place with people around is fine-a gas station or rest stop with people is fine. You can acknowledge to the officer that you are aware of them by turning on your emergency flashers or it's daylight gesturing that you are driving ahead to pull over.

Is used to work for our State troopers charitable organization and asked one of the troopers on our board about that once-(I'm always a bit paranoid). He said that if he was in an unmarked car he would not be concerned about someone looking for a safe place to pull over as long as they weren't acting like they were going to bail-no speeding up trying to loose the cop or anything.

southcitymom said:
It's sounding more and more like a car-jacking gone bad - perhaps gang-related.

yeah, could be....the thing about it being a "coyote" is pretty interesting also, since the family moved, to start a new life in Florida, from Texas.....

From cnn.com http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/16/florida.bodies/index.html

"Residents living near the scene of the shooting reported hearing gunshots between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m., Mascara said.

"A woman who lives across the turnpike from the crime scene told CNN she heard a series of six loud pops and looked at her bedroom clock, which showed the time as 2:24 a.m.

"The woman and her husband looked outside, but could not see anything in the dark, she said. They called police after hearing helicopters and seeing emergency vehicles after daylight."

People: If you EVER hear gunshots, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. Wait until the next morning? Sheesh!

I wonder how much evidence could have been recovered, lives saved, or suspects apprehended had the witnesses called LE right away.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here at websleuths.

Hoppy

Liz said:
Black Jeep Cherokee found this morning at about 9:15 am at the 3200 block of Tuxedo Avenue in West Palm Beach (the Belvedere exit off of I-95).

It's being transported to the sheriff's dept to (was it St Lucie county?) be tested for forensics.

This info source was Fox News and is still covering the case now. Orlando Salinas reporting from So FL.
Hi Liz,

In the new report I heard on Fox today they mentioned that the location where the Jeep was found was a "stones throw" away from the Palm Beach airport.

dragonfly said:
Hi Liz,

In the new report I heard on Fox today they mentioned that the location where the Jeep was found was a "stones throw" away from the Palm Beach airport.

interesting.....hopefully LE will get to the bottom of this soon..

hoppyfrog said:
From cnn.com http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/16/florida.bodies/index.html

"Residents living near the scene of the shooting reported hearing gunshots between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m., Mascara said.

"A woman who lives across the turnpike from the crime scene told CNN she heard a series of six loud pops and looked at her bedroom clock, which showed the time as 2:24 a.m.

"The woman and her husband looked outside, but could not see anything in the dark, she said. They called police after hearing helicopters and seeing emergency vehicles after daylight."

People: If you EVER hear gunshots, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. Wait until the next morning? Sheesh!

I wonder how much evidence could have been recovered, lives saved, or suspects apprehended had the witnesses called LE right away.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here at websleuths.

Hoppy
Actually in many desolate areas in FL the land is owned by Fish and Game and hunting is permitted.
Its really not totally unlikely that someone would hear a shot in these areas and not call the police.
Furthermore they probably did not think it was shots until they saw the Police the next day.
It could have been a number of things.

I heard their house was all boarded up. Who do you think did that? LE, after they found out that was their house?

Scandi

LE might have done that but some people still have boards on their windows for the hurricane season if they don't have hurricane shutters. Boards take forever to put up so some people just leave them. Or if they were leaving FL and not sure when they would return they could board up in case a hurricane comes while they are gone.

so... let me get this straight, say you're on a desolate stretch of road, you're just minding your own business, didn't do anything wrong (at least that you know of!) and an unmarked car comes out of nowehre and flashes its lights behind you. if you think it looks suspicious, you have to act fast to save your life because otherwise, you don't have a chance.
why would you pull over wait to ask for their badge?? by then they will have a gun in your face and you'll be dead (or kidnappend, raped, and THEN left for dead).
so.... if you speed up like cheetah did to get away, and it really DOES turn out to be a cop, then the person will be arrested for evading a cop??? (and,, hopefully the cop doesn't try to shoot out your tires or worse...?)

obviously if you're speeding to get away, you're not gonna be able to fumble around to find your phone and dial 911 (unless someone else is in the car with you). and on long stretches of highway there's often no cell signal anyway.
also, if it's not your neighborhood, how the heck are you supposed to know where the nearest police station is? or, any other public area?

cops need to reassess their policy about this... as law-abiding citizens have every right to do what we have to to protect ourselves. (but obviously, if it's a real cop in an unmarked car, and say you have a taillight out.. they're just doing their job. so if you speed up to get away, that's looks bad from their perspective too.)

i think cops should not expect anyone to pull over for an unmarked car, and maybe they should just do away with them altogether. it's a catch-22.. but what else is the solution?

it seems like we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

reb...you are supposed to turn on your emergency lights or flash your lights to acknowledge that you know you are being signaled to pull over, but not required to stop until you are in an area you are comfortable with. I would think that if it is really a police officer and they are concerned that your are a flight risk or problem, they would call for back up and then you would indeed know you were being pulled over for whatever infraction you committed.

I used to drive long stretches of highway with just my girls and I'll be damned if I stop and no one was around. Even if the nearest rest stop was not heavily populated, I would just keep on going til I got somewhere. I figure as long as have my flashers on and am within a reasonable distance of the police while driving, they cannot fault me for waiting to pull over. If wwhatever I did was so bad, then call out the troops and when I see them coming, I'll then pull over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back