FL - Boy, 14, dies from fall on Free Fall Drop Tower ride, ICON Park, Orlando, Mar 2022 *graphic*

PrairieWind

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
Was he yelling at the riders or to another ride attendant? I don't know why they couldn't have stopped the ride right then.

They should have never let him ride in the first place. Even the kid seemed to know something was wrong. How could they not see that he didn't fit properly in the seat and safety restraints?
The ride should have been built with another level of restraining. The ride never should have been altered by the owner/operator. The boy should have never been allowed on the ride given his size. And no one appears to have done a final walk around safety check prior to it being started. Just sooooo many failures here.

frenchmoxie

Reaction score
Was he yelling at the riders or to another ride attendant? I don't know why they couldn't have stopped the ride right then.

They should have never let him ride in the first place. Even the kid seemed to know something was wrong. How could they not see that he didn't fit properly in the seat and safety restraints?
My thoughts exactly. Not to be insensitive here at all, but the kid was morbidly obese. And something like over 6 feet tall? Shouldn’t have happened.

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Not to be insensitive here at all, but the kid was morbidly obese. And something like over 6 feet tall? Shouldn’t have happened.
I saw headlines last night about a woman being “fat shamed” because she wasn’t allowed to ride a roller coaster at an amusement park. The ride attendants instructed her that she wasn’t able to ride after she was unable to secure the harness due to her size.

Of course the article didn’t mention the safety issue of being unable to secure the ride restraint.

ilovewings

Reaction score
I saw headlines last night about a woman being “fat shamed” because she wasn’t allowed to ride a roller coaster at an amusement park. The ride attendants instructed her that she wasn’t able to ride after she was unable to secure the harness due to her size.

Of course the article didn’t mention the safety issue of being unable to secure the ride restraint.
Unfortunately she couldn't figure out that she was not being "fat shamed"- she is lucky they took precautions and would not let her on that ride. If that had been done for that young man, he would still be with us.

Cryptic

Reaction score
If you purchase an infant seat and alter the straps to allow a larger baby to sit in it, exceeding the manufacturer’s size and weight limits, that isn’t the fault of the manufacturer if the seat fails.
A good analogy and I think your conclusion would be held to be legally sound- in the end.

And now, the "buts".....

- Personal injury attorneys often do not base their lawsuits on what is legally sound (proving a lawsuit is frivolous is nearly impossible) . Rather, they can target "deep pockets" simply because they have deep pockets.

- The lawsuit then becomes a legalized "shake down" for cash where the Injury Attorney hopes that the target gets tired of fighting the lawsuit, then accepts a settlement offer instead of successfully defending it.

Last edited:

Cryptic

Reaction score
One theory that could be used against the manufacturer of the ride is that there was a design flaw in that the ride harness was easily modified to allow larger people to ride it
Nearly any mechanical device can be said to have design flaws that allow for easy modification to override safety features.

For example, I have seen contractors remove safety guards on saws- and still operate the saw by inserting a metal clip to keep a detent button down.

Likewise, You Tube features videos of drivers over riding very sophisticated Tesla software requiring that a driver have his hands on the steering wheel simply by taping bean bags to the steering wheel.

In the end, it would probably be impossible to design safety features that cannot be over ridden by a little olde fashioned human ingenuity.

Last edited:

Laughing

Reaction score
Nearly any mechanical device can be said to have design flaws that allow for easy modification to override safety features.

For example, I have seen contractors remove safety guards on saws- and still operate the saw by inserting a metal clip to keep a detent button down.

Likewise, You Tube features videos of drivers over riding very sophisticated Tesla software requiring that a driver have his hands on the steering wheel simply by taping bean bags to the steering wheel.

In the end, it would probably be impossible to design safety features that cannot be over ridden by a little olde fashioned human ingenuity.

Hhhmmm, as in -- make it idiot-proof and the world will produce a bigger idiot?

jmho ymmv lrr

airportwoman

Reaction score

That reminds me of the short-lived thing of cars that wouldn't start unless the driver's seat belt was fastened, so, you guessed it - people who didn't believe in them would fasten them over the seat, and the paramedics would show up, remove a dead or seriously injured driver, and there was the "fastened" seat belt.