FL FL - Brenda Riley, 13, Merritt Island, 24 May 1971

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Richard, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

Brenda Riley, 13, eighth grader
    Unsolved murder
    24 May 1971
    Brevard County, Florida

Brenda Riley was a 13 year old, eighth grader from Merritt Island. In the late afternoon hours of May 24, 1971, Brenda told her father she was going to a nearby store to purchase a birthday gift for her sister.

By 8:00 p.m. on that evening, Brenda had failed to return home, and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office was notified by her father. A search of the area was conducted, but Brenda was not located.

Although Brenda was 13 years of age, she had learning disabilities relating to hearing problems, and was somewhat immature for her age.

On May 27, 1971, a lawn maintenance worker discovered the body of Brenda Riley in an overgrown field several blocks from her residence, off Catalina Isle Drive in Merritt Island. Brenda's body was identified through dental records the next day.

Investigation revealed that Brenda may have been befriended by a white male, approximately 18 to 20 years of age, at a nearby convenience store. This person has never been located or identified.

A composite drawing was completed in 1971 by witnesses who observed the subject walking with the victim in the area of the Sunoco Gas Station and U-Tote-M Convenience Store.

Source:
    Brevard County Sheriff's Office

LINK:
    http://www.brevardsheriff.com/ciu/cold_cases.htm

2. Loading...

3. Rhett

Rhett Member

Is this anywhere near Jacksonville Florida where Glen Davenport went missing and was found dead? Just wondered. He was 10 years old and it was 1968 I think.

4. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

Several hours away, but on the I95 corridor.

5. Richard

Unsolved Homicide of Brenda Riley
    [​IMG]
    Brenda Riley​
    Brenda Riley was a 13 year old, eighth grader from Merritt Island. In the late afternoon hours of May 24, 1971, Brenda told her father she was going to a nearby store to purchase a birthday gift for her sister. By 8:00 p.m. on that evening, Brenda had failed to return home, and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office was notified by her father. A search of the area was conducted, but Brenda was not located. Although Brenda was 13 years of age, she had learning disabilities relating to hearing problems, and was somewhat immature for her age.
    On May 27, 1971, a lawn maintenance worker discovered the body of Brenda Riley in an overgrown field several blocks from her residence, off Catalina Isle Drive in Merritt Island. Brenda's body was identified through dental records the next day.
    Investigation revealed that Brenda may have been befriended by a white male, approximately 18 to 20 years of age, at a nearby convenience store. This person has never been located or identified. The composite was completed in 1971 by witnesses who observed the subject walking with the victim in the area of the Sunoco Gas Station and U-Tote-M Convenience Store.
    Any persons providing information in reference to this case may be eligible for a reward up to $5,000.00.

6. Richard

It is most likely that Brenda was not the first or the last victim of this guy. I wonder if there might be other cases which are linked to her murder.

7. Richard

Bumping case up.

8. kat-999

kat-999 New Member

I knew Brenda Riley we were in the same girl scout troup. There is so information that was not printed and what was printed was wrong. Her body was was found very decomposed it was Speculated that she was given decomposing medicine and she had been redressed in very young children’s clothing. The police suspected a doctor on the island was involved.

9. Richard

I wonder if there are any other cold cases which might have similarities in geography, victimology, or methods.

10. folieadeuxnola

folieadeuxnola Lake Pontchartrain Jane Doe

VIDEO: ‘Cookin’ Up Justice’ With Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey’ Highlights 37-Year Old Cold Case

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2018/05/...-wayne-ivey-highlights-37-year-old-cold-case/

CUJ-1971-CC-580.jpg

11. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels 2 Corinthians 13:11

That’s a pretty distinctive sketch. I wonder if it has been compared to pics in that era of known and arrested Perps? I hope they run the DNA again, this Perp didn’t stop at one, and I bet he is in prison...if not dead by now.