GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart goes out to this jury as they have to attempt to fathom the unfathomable. If we go by the first two defense experts, she was insane. Dr. Solomon gave too shaky a defense of insanity by saying any parent who kills their child must be insane. We all know here that the reasons are much more varied.

The second doctor did a better job of explaining the defense case and has seemed to have brought out quite a healthy discussion here.

At the moment, I'm still wavering towards her not being insane, although very mentally ill.

I need to hear from PS as well as any other defense witnesses.

Then, I need to hear the prosecution's rebuttal case where, for the first time, we will hear from experts who are of the opinion that she wasn't insane.

Then, I'll rethink the whole situation from zero.

For some people, the only way out of Hell is through it. She went through it, instead of avoiding it altogether by following her MD's advice. Maybe she couldn't help herself.

"Madness" can be a kind of freedom, in a way, of not taking responsibility for the things you do, IMO. "Oh- she has a MI, so you must forgive the unforgivable." Can we forgive?? That's a hard "pill" (excuse the reference, since this was one of JS's problems )to swallow.

Finding her way back to a simpler time and place, when she didn't have a MI—seemed to be a very hard thing for her, and maybe for most who have a MI. Acknowledgement to what has happened is even more terrifying—a non-acknowledgment of the madness is even more madness. There's more chaos- the deeper down you go, the harder it gets to have the life "before MI" and before she shot her children.

Madness, is for some, the only means for expression of their being lost and confused in a world which has caused them deep hurt and pain( in their eyes). Regardless of the options she had chosen, she felt damned- the "correct" choice was too hard to achieve. Each coping mechanism that she has employed has led to failure and has not brought JS out of the unlivable situation that was her life. Her life is like a carousel - going round and round- and not being able to ever get off. She has become completely detached. But this detachment is only from the typical standards of the world. She remains haunted by the visions of her previous life and the way it was.

Being deemed “not normal”, feelings of always being alone and not understood, JS departed to a world where she remained alone from people and her family. Her trust had been shattered time and time again because no one can begin to understand her experiences and her thought processes, even tho' they (PS, MDs, etc) had tried to understand. "Get your life together" must be hard for people who have a MI.

The MI person, JS, having lost her equilibrium, is upset, is very literally upside down, psychologically, and therefore, sees things reversed than the "normal" person.

I was previously leaning more towards guilty- MI, not insane, but after rethinking the situation, so far (the second MD made some sense to me, in regards to "how" JS thinks in her MI ), I am now sitting in the middle, which is neither here (guilty of premeditated murder) -nor -there (guilty, but insane) right now.

I also need to hear from more MDs with different points of view. I need more. I, too, need to hear from PS and others who actually lived the life.

Was she angry at PS?- certainly she was and , IMO, I think she was generally angry at her whole situation- her life the way it was, but her thinking was flawed in many ways that she wasn't aware of, IMO- through no fault of her own?- I don't know yet.

Anyway- I'm not "there" right now with a verdict and won't be 'til the end of this trial.

This is hard.

(Thanks for all the tweets provided- it's the only way to get info on this trial for me- which really stinks.)
-------
The Meaning of Madness

Thinking of 'mental illness' as more than just illness:

‘Mental disorder’ is difficult to define. Generally speaking, mental disorders are conditions that involve either loss of contact with reality or distress and impairment. These experiences lie on a continuum of normal human experience, and so it is impossible to define the point at which they become pathological. Furthermore, concepts such as schizophrenia, depression, and personality disorder listed in classifications of mental disorders may not in fact map onto any real or distinct disease entities; even if they do, the symptoms and clinical manifestations that define them are open to subjective interpretation.".....

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201209/the-meaning-madness
--
Meet the jurors:

http://www.courtchatter.com/2014/05...m_campaign=Feed:+CourtChatter+(Court+Chatter)
-----------------
Everyone's experience is unique and equally valid. It must be very hard to make a correct diagnosis for any MD.

Just my observations from Day 2 of the defense:

JS seems more engaged today. Scowling less. I am on the fence about why that is. Is she more interested because the therapist is testifying and it's all about her? Is it because the therapist is doing something that JS wants? Is it because her DT read websleuths and all the other blogs and told her to try not to frown?

She stands up straighter today. Today when the jury took a 15 min break so the Psychologist could find one of the records, she stood up straight and put her hands behind her back (military: at ease).

I FINALLY figured out what JS is listening to when she puts on headphones. It's the sidebar discussions between the DT, prosecutor, and the judge. I feel kind of silly for not figuring it out before.

I might have missed it, but I did not see any instances of the DT interacting with JS. I've watched a lot of trials and the DT usually whispers to the defendant from time to time or vice versa. They're all scribbling on their pads (JS included) but not interacting.

I think she was tensed out about the term "insane" being tossed around repeatedly, (and in reference to HER, of course.) I had the impression that she had to employ all of her self-control to avoid shouting out, and that her DT avoided contact so as to not break her concentration. IMO.

Good morning!

pot-of-coffee-animated.gif

images

Final defense witnesses expected in Julie Schenecker murder trial

Defense attorneys for Julie Schenecker, the New Tampa woman accused of murdering her children, are expected to question their final witnesses and rest their case by the end of the day Tuesday.

Her ex-husband, former Army Col. Parker Schenecker, who divorced her after she killed the children, could be called to the witness stand Tuesday for a second time.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...cted-in-julie-schenecker-murder-trial/2179507

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 16s
Judge in cr calling in jury. #JulieSchenecker

good morning everyone! Has anything started yet?

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 2m
Missing email evidence found. The witness walked out w it during testimony. Mystery solved! #JulieSchenecker

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 1m
Observation: dressed up juror in suit is dressed more casual today

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 44s
Parker Schenecker is likely to discuss #JulieSchenecker mental illness and all the emails he sent her and her family.

Parker: She was athletic and that attracted me to Her #JulieSchenecker

First witness of day

Parker met Julie when he joined a volleyball team that JS was coaching when they were both stationed in Munich, Germany. They began dating sometime during the next year. He was attracted to her athleticism, her ability to stand up and take notice of things. They dated about 2 years, and then he was stationed in Arizona, where he was studying, and PS remained in Germany. They continued their relationship, long-distance. They spoke on the phone, wrote letters, and would occasionally see each other.

First wedding ceremony in June 1991, in New Orleans, by Justice of Peace. His family not aware of marriage.

Julie became pregnant prior to their marriage. She terminated the pregnancy, with Parker's consent; PS went with her to the abortion clinic.

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 5m
Parker: “Her athleticism, just her ability to kind of stand up and take notice of things, take responsibility for things” #ScheneckerTrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 6m
What attracted you to Julie? defense asks. #ScheneckerTrial

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 2m
#JulieSchenecker was preg before marriage and aborted baby in AZ

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 2m
Julie got pregnant before the couple married in 91. She got an abortion in Arizona, Parker went with her. #ScheneckerTrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 4m
Parker & Julie met in Munich, Germany. He joined an Army volleyball team, she was the coach. #ScheneckerTrial

Parker: #JulieSchenecker and I lived in AZ. She told him she was molested as kid

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 32s
Parker: in AZ #JulieSchenecker showed signs of depression. She was interested in playing volley ball anymore.

10 News ‏@WTSP10News · 24s
Parker Schenecker testifying right now... WATCH LIVE -> http://on.wtsp.com/1jqLxty #JulieSchenecker #ScheneckerTrial pic.twitter.com/abJKx521Mo

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 19s
Parker: 1993 #JulieSchenecker ended military career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members