GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this Dr S has done a very good job explaining Bi-polar with psychotic features and characteristics to the jury who know nothing about this illness. I am very familiar with all this and she is right on. Too bad she wasn't JS Dr.

The big deal I think that the defense will have to over come is how MI plays into her victim stance---how narcissistic she appears to be. They also need to overcome her anger at PS--and the children. The children were the only victims in this crime---So they are really going to have to explain a lot! :twocents:

As I have stated the only contact I've had with MI with growing up with a "quirky" mom who later had dementia and went thru a lot of the same things JS has gone thru. Thank God she didn't have a gun otherwise me being her primary caregiver.....:facepalm: But my siblings had no patience for mom and her dementia--they thought at times she wasn't as bad--crazy time!

I'm a bit surprised that Dr. Solomon didn't bring up JS's suggestion that a "bonus" be paid so she wouldn't have to go to jail (during her interrogation). Wouldn't that be a strong indication that she didn't comprehend the wrongfulness of her actions?

Also, she mentioned once, almost in passing, that JS seems to not understand that her children are not really dead (or, perhaps, that this understanding comes and goes). If I were her, I'd have reiterated that as an example of how JS floats in and out of a psychotic state.

Another point that no one's brought up yet - -JS talking about the squeaky chair when asked if she understands she can have a lawyer present (when read her Miranda rights).

I think the defense is dropping the ball.

And yet having her hair cut and colored somehow does not go along with staying in bed all day, unable to function. I see mental illness but I also see someone who was still able to function and make plans. jmo

Twitter
ABCActionNewsCourt

@actionnewscourt

#ScheneckerTrial back in session. WATCH LIVE: wfts.tv/1jG

Twitter
ABCActionNewsCourt

@actionnewscourt

On the stand: psychiatrist, Dr. Michael Maher. #ScheneckerTrial

Specializes in Forensic Psychiatry (to do w/ law). Has been Forensic Psychiatrist since 1999. Also attended USF medical school. Internship at Tampa General. Part-time Asst. Prof in psychiatry at U of S Fla.

ETA: testifying for defense, not state

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 3m
Maher is a clinical psychiatrist who also testifies in legal cases. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 5m
Court is back in session. Defense calls Dr. Michael Maher. #Scheneckertrial

Dr. Maher taught at USF until 2 years ago. Primarily teaching, not so much research.

Has testified in civil and criminal courts in Fla and other states, federal court, dependence and family court. Has testified several hundred times, for defense, for plantiff, at request of judge for criminal competency.

ETA: correction -- testifying for defense

Twitter
ABCActionNewsCourt

@actionnewscourt

Maher met with #JulieSchenecker 11 times, mostly in 2011, once in 2012 & 2013

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 3m
Dr Maher has testified in civil and criminal courts...most recently juvenile dependency courts #JulieSchenecker

Met w/ JS on 11 different occasions during several years between arrest and trial. Spent long time with her during meetings, because it was not easy to reach conclusions.

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 45s
Doc met with #JulieSchenecker on several occasions (11 times)for mental eval

Twitter
ABCActionNewsCourt

@actionnewscourt

Maher: It was not easy to reach conclusions or identify fundamental issues in this case. #ScheneckerTrial

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 15s
Dr Maher met personally w/ #JulieSchenecker parents and brother

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 24s
Doc relied on med records, LE records, crime scene records, emails, family history. He met with #JulieSchenecker parents and bro to eval her

10:47 AM

Twitter
ABCActionNewsCourt

@actionnewscourt

Dr. Maher interviewed #JulieSchenecker 's family, experts, and reviewed medical records & depositions in the case.

Did Dr Maher meet with Parker and his family, about some of the children's friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member