GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #7

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Coldpizza, May 5, 2014.

1. CUCKOOHEAD

CUCKOOHEAD New Member

To me rationalizing is when I admit what I did but then I go into some length justifying what and why I did it.

Minimizing is not fully admitting what I did and then try to further lessen it's severity by saying the result was better, they no longer suffer, in a better place, get everything they want. Ya know the old 'the end justifies the means'?

2. Zuri

Zuri Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if it Would it have been up to her to plead guilty to avoid prosecution? And who determines what prison she goes to? TIA

3. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

You would only dismiss all the alternates if you knew you had a verdict...they sat through the whole trial and if one of those people could not longer serve they would then have to start over...so I would like to know at what time did he dismiss them? It seems like "James" the alternate and the judge all knew they were in agreement. Something is not connecting up for me...can anyone explain...you just don't dismiss all of them...is that for sure that they were all dismissed?

4. CUCKOOHEAD

CUCKOOHEAD New Member

Yes and as far as I know insanity doesn't seek to justify, rationalize or minimize it's actions. IMO only sane people do.

5. CUCKOOHEAD

CUCKOOHEAD New Member

I believe she had that option but choose to enter a not guilty...

I think the State decides which prison the inmate will be housed in.

6. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

okay maybe minimize in a more correct term but in any event my point is it is a strategy (so guess that implies some sanity) to make a wrong a right because gee now they are so happy...I think that is my point...sorry if I did not use the right term. I don't think most of us really think the kids are happier now than living normal lives as kids should and having their lives stopped so violently so young.

7. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

After reading the alternate juror numbers he had them wait while the other jurors went back to the jury room to begin deliberations and then thanked the alternates and dismissed all 4 of them.

8. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

does anyone else think that is odd? could they continue with deliberations with 11 if one had an emergency and had to leave? I have never seen it done this way...last trial I watched...I think maybe Dunn there was much discussion about holding them vs letting say 2 go and alot of care taken to be cautious. And I would think while they are dismissed they may be asked not to discuss until the verdict is in?

9. rob

rob Active Member

I served jury duty week of May 5th. Criminal court, 3 day trial. When we started deliberations, first thing we did a hand raise poll of guilty or not guilty. Everyone was united on the first hand raise of not guilty, but we still went around the room and had our say on why. Several people stated that on the first day, they had pretty well decided not guilty.
    I hope he's just speaking for himself and assuming others felt the same way.

10. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

If you listen to "James" he clearly said "Minds were made up" and then later when asked about the possible verdict he said He was for guilty. I think the judge needs to speak with this juror. When the defense tried to talk to the judge about it he really did not want to deal with it and the mike was "hot" at the time and some overheard him say he was going on vacation next week. They were often careless with these types of conferences...we should not have heard this but this judge did want the case done by Friday for sure...and yes of course he should go on vacation, I doubt we will hear more on this but bet the defense will follow it...does not seem right.

11. CUCKOOHEAD

CUCKOOHEAD New Member

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was nitpicking but I was trying to explain how far away I think JS is from fully acknowledging what she did.

The steps-

Denial
    Minimizing
    Rationalizing
    Acceptance

JMO

12. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

I thought the discussion at the bench was about allocation and wanting more time. My hearing isn't so great anymore either as that wouldn't have done any good according to the law. Maybe they wanted more time to have JS write out her speech? jmo

13. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

I couldn't hear what was being said at the bench, just low murmuring, the defense attny seemed awfully concerned but I couldn't get the context of her words.

14. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

Im glad this was quick and guilty. I did not watch this case. I could not think of someone murdering their children in such a manner.

15. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 5m
    Foreman in #JulieSchenecker trial says first vote was 11- 1 guilty. One juror voting for insanity.

Foreman juror in #JulieSchenecker trial says jurors had verdict decided in 30 minutes into deliberations

16. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

I re-listened to it and although I still had trouble hearing. It could have been about the juror's statement. I guess maybe we will find out when she files her paper's.

17. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

Charles Madison foreman of #julieschenecker trial speaks to Fox 13 abt decision pic.twitter.com/O7djbKre8D

18. azmama

azmama Member

I know I am very late to this discussion, I had to leave even before the end of closing arguments yesterday.

But, that said, isn't it possible that this juror was just posturing for the cameras, getting his 15 minutes of fame? Do we think for sure there will be an appeal based on that? It does seem likely, but just because he said that was the case (minds were previously made up) it doesn't make it true.

Does that make sense?

19. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

yes it makes perfect sense to me and I don't think if you tried this case 50 times in the state of florida the outcome would be any different...but he should have kept his mouth shut at least until the deliberating jurors had announced their verdict.

20. Dmacky

Dmacky Well-Known Member

This all started over an email that PS sent out to her family members. In one email dated Jan. 21,2011 her sister wrote to PS that JS had asked her, her bother and parents to forward the email that PS sent the family. She also said that she thinks the uncertainty of NOT KNOWING what he wrote is probably more distressing to her than what was actually written. JS assumed it said PS was divorcing her, (which it didn't)

Last night I heard an interview with the gun shop owner. Julie came in on a Friday, so she actually had to wait 5 days (weekends aren't business days.) She picked the gun up on Thursday, and you all know the rest. My heart breaks that Beau knew what his mother was doing to him. I'm hoping that JS came up behind Caylix, and she never saw it coming.
    This is just so heartbreaking.

One thing is for sure, she is extremely mentally ill and has been for most of her adult life. If only she would have just killed herself.