GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #7

FYI
This is the first draft of my transcript of the controversial interview with an alternate juror for the Schenecker trial. It is not an official transcript of 10News, ABC Action News, or any of the participants in the interview. Any errors are my own.

Primary Reporter:
Charles Billi of 10News, Tampa Bay, Sarasota
Court Reporter, Schenecker Trial, for 10News

Subject:
Alternate juror who wants to be identified only as "James"

Second Reporter:
Unidentified but from abc action news, Tampa Bay

Setting: Sort of a walk and talk down the street.

Transcript of Alternate Juror Interview, Schenecker Trial
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/05/15/schenecker-trial-verdict/9123057/

CB: So, this must have been a very emotional experience for you?

J: No. Not at all.

CB: It wasn't? Can you tell me why?

J: I mean, it is what it is. Two kids got killed, and you have someone who's accused of it.

CB: If you were in there right now, if you were deliberating, what would be going through your mind, sir?

J: Well, I think all this again, but I think their minds were made up for maybe a day or two already.

CB: So, do you think it's guilty, sir?

J: In my opinion, I think so.

SR: So do you think she was sane when she did it?

J: Yes.

CB: What's the smoking gun for you? Pardon the pun.

J: Well, there was no smokin' gun. There was a number of things.

CB: Can you elaborate, sir?

J: Well, the evidence that was presented
cross talk
At the time

CB: What was the biggest impact for you?

J: I think her, her journal had a big impact. I think her actions--going to get the gun, the delays, and, you know, the planning. She went there, she could't get it, then she went back days later.

CB: Anything that, anything you would like to say to people who've been watching the trial, who had a lot of questions, 'cause there were a lot of questions from people. What would you say to the public?

J: Don't base it on what you saw on TV. You have to be there to see it all the evidence.

SR: What's your name sir?

J: (Snorts.) James.

CB: Thank you. I appreciate it.

Thanks Wendiesan

Will the cross talk lead to an appeal ((or was that just a reference to background noise at the time of the interview?

just in case someone wants to read the whole journal of JS I found a link --

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/jurors-say-scheneckers-journal-sealed-her-fate/2180124

two items of interest for me

she knows that PS will be successful at whatever he choses

notes that she needed psych rehab not alcohol rehab and that she needed more compassion from him and the kids in Nov

THANK YOU! :loveyou: I've SOOOO wanted to see this! Am grabbing my muffin and refilling my coffee cup and will sit down to read.

ETA: I can't find it on this page -- just a photocopy of one page, and the article's quotes from here and there

ETA: OK, got it here -- thanks! http://tampabay.com/tbprojects/dcloud/dcloud-template.html?doc=1160789-julie-schenecker-journal

FYI
This is the first draft of my transcript of the controversial interview with an alternate juror for the Schenecker trial. It is not an official transcript of 10News, ABC Action News, or any of the participants in the interview. Any errors are my own.

Primary Reporter:
Charles Billi of 10News, Tampa Bay, Sarasota
Court Reporter, Schenecker Trial, for 10News

Subject:
Alternate juror who wants to be identified only as "James"

Second Reporter:
Unidentified but from abc action news, Tampa Bay

Setting: Sort of a walk and talk down the street.

Transcript of Alternate Juror Interview, Schenecker Trial
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/05/15/schenecker-trial-verdict/9123057/

CB: So, this must have been a very emotional experience for you?

J: No. Not at all.

CB: It wasn't? Can you tell me why?

J: I mean, it is what it is. Two kids got killed, and you have someone who's accused of it.

CB: If you were in there right now, if you were deliberating, what would be going through your mind, sir?

J: Well, I think all this again, but I think their minds were made up for maybe a day or two already.

CB: So, do you think it's guilty, sir?

J: In my opinion, I think so.

SR: So do you think she was sane when she did it?

J: Yes.

CB: What's the smoking gun for you? Pardon the pun.

J: Well, there was no smokin' gun. There was a number of things.

CB: Can you elaborate, sir?

J: Well, the evidence that was presented
cross talk
At the time

CB: What was the biggest impact for you?

J: I think her, her journal had a big impact. I think her actions--going to get the gun, the delays, and, you know, the planning. She went there, she could't get it, then she went back days later.

CB: Anything that, anything you would like to say to people who've been watching the trial, who had a lot of questions, 'cause there were a lot of questions from people. What would you say to the public?

J: Don't base it on what you saw on TV. You have to be there to see it all the evidence.

SR: What's your name sir?

J: (Snorts.) James.

CB: Thank you. I appreciate it.

Well take away from this: (1) glad "James" was not in the deliberating jury (2) It seems clear some sort of general talk had taken place in advance of them getting the case...he does not say "I" he says "their" and that is exactly what I heard...I was stunned when he said that and (3) "James" should have kept his mouth shut. I imagine the others are not happy with him.

Snippet from James interview thanks Turaj

"Well, I think all this again, but I think their minds were made up for maybe a day or two already."

" I think their minds were made up" It means what it says ( his thoughts on the matter). Doesn't mean the jury was talking together! Just because I think everybody believes the same as I doesn't mean they do!!! JMO

Thanks Wendiesan

Will the cross talk lead to an appeal ((or was that just a reference to background noise at the time of the interview?

Hey Newone.

It was the reporter trying to ask his question before James had finished speaking.

Hi everybody! Coming out of lurkville to share the Parker Schenecker interview with you.
(sorry if it's been posted already, I didn't see it)

Part 1
http://www.wtsp.com/videos/news/local/hillsboroughcounty/2014/05/16/9186549/

Part 2
http://www.wtsp.com/videos/news/local/hillsboroughcounty/2014/05/16/9187341/

I so appreciate all that you all share!!

Thank you for these links - interesting viewing for sure. Am guessing that I can't view part 2 right now due to high traffic.

Snippet from James interview thanks Turaj

"Well, I think all this again, but I think their minds were made up for maybe a day or two already."

" I think their minds were made up" It means what it says ( his thoughts on the matter). Doesn't mean the jury was talking together! Just because I think everybody believes the same as I doesn't mean they do!!! JMO

I had the same impression. He was giving his thoughts based on his experiences in the courtroom, his understanding of the evidence, perhaps his "reading" of the body language and facial expressions of the other jurors. He did not say anything other than that he was second guessing what other people on that panel may have been thinking. I hope that this interview can't be twisted into something more than it is.

Also, I thought that he wanted to be sure the general public understood that there was a lot of evidence presented than those of us who only saw JVM, NG, and commentary on news shows would know about. My impression of James was that he had been very shaken by what he had heard and seen, and the reporter had caught him when he needed to release some of the tension after being involved for so long. Not saying that was an excuse, sort of my explanation.

For those who could watch gavel to gavel, were there times when the jury would see or hear evidence that was not available for the "audience" in the courtroom?

Hi everybody! Coming out of lurkville to share the Parker Schenecker interview with you.

Part 1

Part 2

Thanks Bar Bee Jay

Part 2 was very inspirational - you can tell he's definitely going to be successful in all that he does (to quote JS).....he's very connected to the families and kids who were in their circle still.

His revenge will be enjoying his life - it's clear that he is.

WELCOME TO WS BAR BEE JAY!

I had the same impression. He was giving his thoughts based on his experiences in the courtroom, his understanding of the evidence, perhaps his "reading" of the body language and facial expressions of the other jurors. He did not say anything other than that he was second guessing what other people on that panel may have been thinking. I hope that this interview can't be twisted into something more than it is.

Also, I thought that he wanted to be sure the general public understood that there was a lot of evidence presented than those of us who only saw JVM, NG, and commentary on news shows would know about. My impression of James was that he had been very shaken by what he had heard and seen, and the reporter had caught him when he needed to release some of the tension after being involved for so long. Not saying that was an excuse, sort of my explanation.

For those who could watch gavel to gavel, were there times when the jury would see or hear evidence that was not available for the "audience" in the courtroom?

We heard all the evidence they heard. Almost all the physical evidence... we didn't see... which I can understand for graphic images. Comparing this to Zimmerman's trial, we saw much more, almost all of the physical evidence. imo

Part 1

Part 2

Hi BBJ :wave:
Welcome to websleuths!
My video keeps saying "buffering" and going around in circles...maybe too much traffic? or maybe lousy computer?? I really want to see this. Thank you for posting and coming out of "lurkville." :wink: I too, lurked for awhile before actually getting up the nerve to post.

page 7 of the journal is the ''worst'' convoluted writing ..barely legible/understandable to me.. what jumped out at me though was the name "James".....who is James?

http://tampabay.com/tbprojects/dcloud/dcloud-template.html?doc=1160789-julie-schenecker-journal

I just read the journal for the first time and now I really do think she should have been found not guilt by reason of insanity. She was completely out of her mind when she bought the gun and thereafter seemed to drift in and out of reality -- more out than in.

I thought the jury got it right according to the high standard for legal insanity but after hearing her speak after verdict and now reading this journal, I've changed my mind - I do think the defense produced clear and convincing evidence of insanity and the state did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was not insane at the time she killed the kids.

I just read the journal for the first time and now I really do think she should have been found not guilt by reason of insanity. She was completely out of her mind when she bought the gun and thereafter seemed to drift in and out of reality -- more out than in.

I thought the jury got it right according to the high standard for legal insanity but after hearing her speak after verdict and now reading this journal, I've changed my mind - I do think the defense produced clear and convincing evidence of insanity and the state did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was not insane at the time she killed the kids.

Agree - I am one of the few who believes she was insane and stated it here several times. The quick verdict was a shocker. I am unemotional and stoic by nature. Last time I cried was three years ago when a beloved cat was euthanized in my arms. With the JS verdict, I cried again. I know none of this is about us. Just wish mental illness would catch a break in our society. And wish the jury had not been so quick to judgment.

So extremely sad. We, as a society, really need to find better ways to care for our mentally ill. This woman is to be pitied, not despised. That should not be read to take anything at all away from the extraordinary tragedy of two young teenagers who lost their lives, nor am I discounting in any way the horrendous impact this has had on so many lives. But there's a reason we have an insanity defense in this country - people who commit horrific acts when they are extremely ill like Julie Schenecker should not be treated by the judicial system as equal to a murderer who plans his acts with full knowledge and the benefit of rational thought.

I disagree, I don't think she was insane, although she certainly had continuing mental health issues- she killed her children (I think partially to punish her husband & assert dominance) & she needs to incarcerated for the rest of her life- those poor kids never knew what was coming...I have teenagers, sometimes they drive me crazy, but I would never in a million years think about hurting them. She crossed a line, & I think she was aware of her feelings & actions, & that she should be held accountable. It's terrible that it couldn't have been prevented, but she is ultimately responsible for her actions.

I'm married to someone in the Army- there are problems specific to this community, but there are also resources that are available. I'm not surprised that she & her husband were able to hide the depth of her problems, but she had a lot more choices available to her than many people. It's a tragedy, that no one intervened (realizing how sick she is), but she is responsible for her actions.

So extremely sad. We, as a society, really need to find better ways to care for our mentally ill. This woman is to be pitied, not despised. That should not be read to take anything at all away from the extraordinary tragedy of two young teenagers who lost their lives, nor am I discounting in any way the horrendous impact this has had on so many lives. But there's a reason we have an insanity defense in this country - people who commit horrific acts when they are extremely ill like Julie Schenecker should not be treated by the judicial system as equal to a murderer who plans his acts with full knowledge and the benefit of rational thought.

As I was thinking about that family something very obvious came to me...I guess because mental illness is so misunderstood in general and was by the Schenecker and Powers family...I thought Parker was arranging for the wrong person to be leaving the home...sending Calyx to boarding school when she had a close group of friends and seemed fine at school...he should have been sending his wife to a boarding school of sorts...a mental hospital. Also that last stay at the rehab for alcohol was not targeting the real issue. I can't believe the professionals all really missed the signs this woman was sending daily towards the end.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back