GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by SoloFlyer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. SadieMae

SadieMae Former Member

Well I guess I read your post in an entirely different tone when it began with you were opposed the death penalty. Sorry!!! :blowkiss:
    We are much too civilized to do the eye for an eye method of justice. I wouldn't want to see a murderer put to death the same way he killed their victim. Bottom line they are a human being, regardless of the heinous act they committed. I'm all for just getting them the h*ll out of this life.

2. PrayersForMaura

PrayersForMaura Help Find Maura Murray

SARASOTA - -- Joseph P. Smith left a trail of evidence as he abducted, raped and murdered 11-year-old Carlie Brucia: his semen on her shirt, hair that matched hers in his car and, afterward, admissions in encoded letters to his brother, prosecutors said.

They revealed the totality of their case for the first time during opening statements Monday in Smith's trial.

Smith left his DNA in a semen stain on the back of Carlie's red shirt, the only other piece of clothing besides a sock found on Carlie's body, prosecutors said. They had hair and cotton fibers that were found in the car Smith borrowed, and they deciphered an encoded letter to Smith's brother in which he reveals what he did with the girl's missing clothes and backpack.

But Smith's attorney criticized the police work as he spoke to the jury about the case.

Assistant Public Defender Adam Tebrugge said detectives focused on Smith too quickly, ignoring other suspects. Tebrugge also attacked the FBI's lab work in DNA cases, saying it is unreliable.

"Prosecuting attorneys say that all of the evidence points to Joe," Tebrugge said. "But they didn't tell you about all the evidence."

Assistant State Attorney Debra Johnes Riva offered some of the first details revealed about Carlie's death.

When authorities found the child's body, she was naked from the waist down, Riva said. Insects and animals had fed on her body. That's why the medical examiner couldn't rule on whether she had been raped.

Smith's confession, Riva said, came in several conversations with his mother and brother.

Tebrugge used his opening statement to try to create doubt. He attacked a video showing Carlie's abduction, saying the man in the nationally aired carwash surveillance video is another suspect and not Smith.

He questioned Smith's supposed confession to relatives, saying the defendant's brother wanted to help authorities because of the reward.

Tebrugge also laid the framework for battling DNA evidence that is said to link Smith to Carlie. He said examiners didn't find the semen stain but ultimately came up with the result they were "supposed to get."

"Approach the evidence with a certain degree of skepticism and try to take an objective look at everything," Tebrugge said. "You are the first group of citizens to look at all the evidence in the case."

Carlie went missing Feb. 1, 2004, when she was walking home from a friend's house. Police said it was Smith's brother who led police to Carlie's body days later near a church.

Tebrugge told jurors to question John Smith's motivations throughout the case. He led police to Carlie's body only after looking for it himself with his mother and then asked about a reward offered in the case, Tebrugge said.

Tebrugge also brought up Ronald Choquette, a tow truck driver who spent the morning with Carlie and was a suspect in the case.

Echoing previous criticism of the FBI and its crime lab, Tebrugge tried to discredit the piece of DNA that prosecutors say links Smith to Carlie.

"While DNA can be extremely powerful, it is also extremely sensitive," he said. "The FBI has had some major problems with their lab."

Tebrugge made a point of highlighting the weaknesses in the case: Sexual assault could not be established, and the hair found in the car also matches the car owner's hair.

More: http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBD9MNQRFE.html

3. Mel1024

Mel1024 New Member

I thought the family has said numerous times that they did not know Joseph Smith. I wonder if her drug use is the only way she can deal with this. I am not excusing it but people deal with things differently and if they had not been getting along the guilt must be great. I know if anything ever happen to my daughter i would not go down that road but would be devastated. I really can't stay how I would handle it. I pray i never find out.
    When kids are in their preteens and early teens attitudes start flowing and they change from your little girl to someone you don't know. I know I have seen children that i know are the sweetest thing but put them with their parents and like typical kids they can fight and act badly. I again don't know if this is the case but my heart goes out to this mom this has got to be the hardest thing ever to deal with. I often wonder if their fighting was normal fighting like i have with my daughter and now the guilt is too much for her to bear.
    I can't pass judgement because i really don't know how these parents live from day to day after their children have been killed so horrible.

4. 13th Juror

13th Juror Inactive

Hi Jeana - thanks for your response. :)

I guess I'd have to agree that Smith has "nothing to lose" by going to trial. And yes - the State of Fla picks up his tab for the whole shooting match.

I just thought that this is such a "slam dunk" for the prosecution that Smith's defense attorneys would have better served their client with a plea for LWOP rather than risk a DP verdict.

Here in Fla - the rules for a jury recommending a death sentence are different. With a jury of 12 - only 9 need to vote for the DP for the judge to impose it.

In California, Peterson case - for example, the jurors must reach a unanimous verdict for death in order for a DP sentence to be imposed. One jurist holdout that cannot be swayed in the sentencing phase would negate the Death Penalty & mean LWOP. (Definitely NOT a 75% majority rule in Calif.)

Gotta say - from my side of the fence - I like our rules here in Fla better. :D

However, for Smith's defense team - it doesn't give them very good odds of beating a death sentence recommendation. That's why - I, more-or-less, thought Smith's team would try to plea bargain. Even though, IMO - he certainly deserves the DP for the atrocities he perpetuated on 11 yr. old Carlie.

Seeing the defendant's face while hearing the jurors reverberate their "guilty" finding is one of my favorite moments too. :D

As a side note - Adam Tebrugge's verbiage (manner of speaking) is driving me "NUTS"! It's like he's speaking to pre-kindergarten kids. :banghead:

13th Juror :)

5. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

The bloodhound, "Ruby," began her mission on the corner of Bee Ridge Road and Lalani Boulevard on Feb. 2, 2004.

Fresh off the scent of a pillowcase used by 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, Ruby pulled firmly on the leash held by Wesley Waysham of DeSoto County Fire and Rescue and led her master down Bee Ridge Road, turned by a drainage ditch and entered the parking lot of Evie's Car Wash. There, she circled around and around, unable to pick up more of the microscopic particles that Waysham said are the building blocks of a human being's scent.

That was a sign, Waysham told jurors in the opening day of the murder trial of Joseph P. Smith, that the target left the area abruptly, as she might on a bike or a car.

The images from the digital video
    http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/13108734.htm

6. PrayersForMaura

PrayersForMaura Help Find Maura Murray

Business associate: Tape shows Smith abducting Carlie Brucia

SARASOTA -- A business associate of a man accused of raping and strangling Carlie Brucia testified today that he recognized his co-worker in images captured by a security camera that showed a suspect grabbing the 11-year-old girl.

The suspect in the images, which were broadcast worldwide on television, had Joseph Smith's gait and wore a uniform like the one worn at the garage where they worked together, Ed Dinyes said.

More: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-1108brucia,0,3387368.story?coll=sfla-news-florida

7. golfmom

golfmom Former Member

The brother's testimony is 95% unintelligable. It's tough to even distinguish between a yes (yeah) or no (naw).

He at least makes an attempt to string together a bunch of garbled grunts in response to defense questions.

8. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

On thing I did understand that he said is that Joe Smith wanted the brother to find the body so he could collect the insurance money and put it in a trust for Joe's kids. I cannot see him getting off.

9. golfmom

golfmom Former Member

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/13123282.htm

Mumbling and occasionally closing his eyes under questioning on the witness stand, John Smith reluctantly recounted the jailhouse conversation. His brother told him he had intercourse with the girl and made her perform oral sex. Crying, their mother left the room at the jail, and the brothers cried and "were hugging each other close," John Smith said.

After leaving the jail, John Smith and Patricia Davis drove to the church property where his brother told him they might find Carlie, looking for landmarks such as "a concrete structure and tree lines." They didn't find the body, and they didn't tell authorities about what Joseph Smith had told them until the next day when Carlie's body was found late at night, John Smith said.

"I was thinking, maybe, the child was still alive," John Smith said.

John Smith testified that he had recognized his brother in the car wash videotape as the tattooed man in a uniform grabbing Carlie's arm and leading her away. Several other people, including Joseph Smith's business partner, had testified Tuesday they also recognized him on the tape.

Under questioning by a defense attorney, John Smith admitted that at the time of Carlie's disappearance he hadn't talked to his brother in a couple of months as a result of a falling out. He also conceded he had asked investigators about a reward, but he said he was interested in it because his brother wanted to use the money to set up a trust fund for his children.

10. Details

Details Former Member

Still seems so weird to see this going to trial. It's all pretty obvious.

11. marine

marine New Member

I just cant't believe how this ******* was concerned about the reward money being used to benefit his children. He should be put to death TODAY, before any more money is waisted on his trial.

12. j2mirish

j2mirish Former Member

i have watched thru out the day while at work- the one question i have about the brothers testimony--- the defense attroney and the prosecutor both brought this up- and i am confused---- they talked about a phone call from joe, i believe on sunday night- they said john saw the caller id and didnt pick it up-= then they argued about did he or didnt he actually answer it-- the thing that really confused me, was i thought- they said the caller id was the wife ( soon to be ex) of joe--- he wasnt living there at the time- already seperated.....so why would he have been at that house calling his brother- I am sure i heard the brother agree it was from joe's wife's phone number...did anybody hear this and can you explain either what i missed...or if that doesnt make sense? and for anyone that wonders--- i think he is so guilty it is absurd...................the defense attorney makes me want to:sick:

13. concernedperson

concernedperson Former Member

The wife testified that the call was from Monday not Sunday.

14. j2mirish

j2mirish Former Member

ok- date or day side- i am still confused why joe would have been at his wifes house-when did she tesitfy? i missed her- thanks

15. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

Article on Brothers Testimony

SARASOTA, Florida (AP) -- The brother of a man accused of abducting and killing Carlie Brucia wiped his eyes Wednesday as he recounted his sibling's account of sexually assaulting and killing the 11-year-old the girl.

John Smith testified that his brother, Joseph Smith, told him that he had "rough sex" with Carlie and then strangled her.

The abduction was captured by a security camera at a car wash and broadcast worldwide on television.

16. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

More on Brothers Testimony

SARASOTA, Fla. — The brother of murder defendant Joseph Smith mumbled through much of his testimony Wednesday, but ultimately described for jurors the rape and killing of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia last year.

Occasionally wiping away tears, John Smith avoided eye contact with his older brother as he related how he used information by Joseph Smith to lead police to Carlie's body on Feb. 5, 2004, on the grounds of a church near an interstate highway.

Police and concerned residents searched for Carlie for five days after a car-wash owner discovered that her abduction was captured on his surveillance camera.

17. Greywing

Greywing Member

Is anyone else as affected as much as I am with the highlighted description as I am? I have been physically ill since reading this yesterday and just have to rant! This is a violent, disgusting rape and murder of an 11 year old child ... I just feel like slapping the defendent, the brother, even the prosecutor for allowing this crime to referred to anything as simplistic as "rough sex". I thought I was becoming desensitized to a certain extent but I'm obviously not. Let me at all these b****rds!!!!!!!!!!! Growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllll!!!

18. golfmom

golfmom Former Member

The term "rough sex" just set my teeth on edge. Sex is not appropriate with a child -- much less sex that is so rough it kills her.

Reminds me of Taylor Behl's murderer's description as well. :razz:

19. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

SARASOTA, Fla. — Graphic images of the body of Carlie Brucia, the 11-year-old girl whose abduction was captured on videotape and broadcast around the world, were shown Thursday at the capital murder trial of the man authorities say strangled her.

Calling crime-scene photos and a short video "explicit" and "unsettling," Judge Andrew Owens Jr. ordered that the images only be shown to the jury and not released publicly.

Jurors appeared stoic, and at least one sighed heavily, as they viewed the images of Carlie's half-naked body, which was discovered on the grounds of a church not far from her home. Prosecutors say auto mechanic Joseph Smith, 39, abducted Carlie from Evie's Car Wash on Feb. 1, 2004, raped and strangled her, and left her under tree branches.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/brucia/111005_ctv.html

20. hollyjokers

hollyjokers New Member

Does anyone else think that fat bloated POS looks just like Michael Myers?

This case is making me completely sick to my stomach, I don't want to hear anymore, I can not take these details that are coming out. Carly is the same age as my own daughter. If I had to sit in that court room, I'd have a complete mental breakdown. Just fry the disgusting pig already! He said he didn't realize she was so young - he may be right, Carly could maybe pass for as old as 13 in which case having "rough sex" with her would be acceptable. :furious:

Attached Files: