GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

SNIP FROM FOX NEWS.COM ( HOPE OK TO DO THIS)

Before announcing the punishment for Joseph Smith on the charges of first-degree murder, the judge said Smith faces life in prison without the possibility of parole for the assault and kidnapping of his victim.
The judge agreed with the jury's earlier 10-to-2 recommendation that be executed.

"The scales of life and death tip unquestionably toward death," the judge said.

"Carlie endured unspeakable trauma, which began at the time of her kidnapping," the judge said before announcing the sentence. "The image of the defendant taking her arm and leading her away no doubt will forever be etched in our minds."

During the sexual and physical abuse Carlie was subjected to, the judge said, "at 11 years of age, there is no doubt she was aware of her dire predicament and that she had little or no hope of survival."

He added: "Her death was conscious less and pitiless ... calculated and premeditated." MORE AT FOXNEWS.COM

So glad SMITH was sentenced to DEATH.....Hope he rots for what he did to Carlie.

Justice will be served on this one. Great job by the judge.

I could tell where it was going as the judge was speaking, and so could the !! I'm so happy...justice for Carlie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) May that beautiful little angel be smiling in heaven today.

Beyond Belief said:
STAND FACE JUDGE
JOSEPH SMITH YOU HAVE FORTEITED YOUR RIGHT TO LIVE:

DEATH
-------------

YES!!! From the look of his Attorney I got the impression that he also felt the sentence was just..

englishleigh said:
I could tell where it was going as the judge was speaking, and so could the !! I'm so happy...justice for Carlie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) May that beautiful little angel be smiling in heaven today.
I agree Leigh. Bless her beautiful heart. :angel:

tHIS heart wrenching case has been with us a long time now. I can glad its finally in the last stages of completion.
The one positive thing is that the name of the criminal is common enough that his own children won't publicly be connected to him. I hope they are being taken care so they can separate themselves from him and live a happy life.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I hope he thinks everyday about what he did, that pig!!!

I am so happy to hear this. Joseph Smith deserves nothing less. I am sorry for his kids, but what he did to Carlie was grotesque and horrifying and death is the appropriate punishment.

Amraann said:
Nice Job Judge Owens!!!!!!

He was awesome. I loved the tone of disgust and disdain he had for Smith the entire time he was reading his decision.

beachcares2 said:
The judge did a very good job...WTG FLORIDA!!!!

He took so much time in explaining everything and gave so much weight or not to the aggravating and mitigating circumstances that I didn't have nearly enough time to cry as I thought I would. He was totally professional. I was glued to the whole process. It was so thought out and so reasonable.

With that being said, I am glad Joseph Smith will die for this crime.

englishleigh said:
He was awesome. I loved the tone of disgust and disdain he had for Smith the entire time he was reading his decision.
I wish I could have HEARD it-

just reading what he had to say was emotional-- I would have loved to have heard the tone and disgust applied-

:clap: Thanks for the news, BB! Justice for Carlie, may she rest in peace.

Does anybody know if there is a transcript of the sentence? I was clicking into CTV but was distracted by the ticker at the bottom of the screen that stated that he received life, I was so confused & upset that I couldn't continue to watch the Judge speak. Won't make that mistake again.

Relief took over when I saw the "real" sentence announced on the news. Now this creature can face fear on a daily basis until the sentence is carried out although it will never hold up to what horror he delivered to Carlie I just have to settle for that knowing that once the sentence is carried out he is going straight to hell for eternity. Just so sorry that the sentence can't be expedited.

His children are better off without him, imagine the delusion that he could be a positive influence on them, the day that he declared that my thought was "I have never heard anything so ridiculous."

Thank you Judge Owens.

I listened to most of what the judge had to say, and it was obvious that he was going to get that f'ing sicko pervert the death sentence. Of course, the SOB showed no remorse and just sat there as the judge described every single detail from the abduction to the strangulation of this poor, young girl.

He won't ever feel remorse for what he did. His only regret is that he was caught on camera and didn't get away with his crime. Of course, he will also be scared when his time gets close. It's amazing that he could brutalize and murder this young girl without missing a beat. Yet, he cries when he thinks about his own death, which will be a million times more humane than the one afforded to Carlie.

concernedperson said:
He took so much time in explaining everything and gave so much weight or not to the aggravating and mitigating circumstances that I didn't have nearly enough time to cry as I thought I would. He was totally professional. I was glued to the whole process. It was so thought out and so reasonable.

With that being said, I am glad Joseph Smith will die for this crime.
i was able to see it today-- you are sooooooooo correct in how you stated the judges demeanor (sp) it was priceless- perfect-- unjudgeable ( if that is a word)
he in my opinion, put an end to this nightmare very gracefully for the victim, and very bluntly for the defendant-i about fell out of my chair when he said " may God have mercy on your soul" :eek:

Very sad update:

CLEARWATER, Fla. — The mother of the 11-year-old girl whose abduction was captured by a security camera two years ago pleaded no contest Monday to drug and prostitution charges and was sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Susan Schorpen has said she acknowledged problems with drug addiction and depression since the slaying of her daughter, Carlie Brucia, in February 2004.

Schorpen, 36, was sentenced to 90 days in jail for the felony drug charge and 25 days on the misdemeanor count of facilitating prostitution — which means the officer suspected her of prostitution although she did not offer sex for money

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188516,00.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back