GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Doyle said:
I am reminded Alphonso Rodriguez, who kidnapped Dru Sjodin, and of the scene in Dirty Harry, where Harry has the culprit on a football field, and gets the culprit to say where the girl is.

I have a hard time with the defendants rights right now, when the girl could still be alive somewhere. Leave me, or someone else alone with this guy, and find out where she is.

I keep thinking that if they could just let the family at this guy, just for a few minutes, maybe he'd talk! I know it's wrong to think this way, but the desperation we feel to know where she is, ...can you imagine how the parents feel?

I've been thinking since they announced they had him, that if I were the mother, I'd beg the police to let me see this man. I'd beg and plead and cry in front of him to no end to see if I could find a conscience in him...surely to goodnes, he MUST have some feeling for what they are going through...even use the ploy that what if it was his child, what if it was his mother going through this..anything I could do or say....I'd be begging the police to let me try.

Man Questioned in Girl's Taped Abduction
By MITCH STACY, AP

NOW FIND HER FAST!! :(

Police are questioning Joseph P. Smith, left, in connection with the disappearance of Carlie Brucia.

SARASOTA, Fla. (Feb. 5) - A drug felon was being questioned Wednesday in the disappearance of an 11-year-old girl who was apparently kidnapped while walking home from a friend's house, authorities said. The girl's whereabouts were not immediately known.

Joseph P. Smith, 37, has been in custody since Tuesday on unrelated charges that officials did not specify. His car, a Buick Century station wagon, was being combed by investigators for any clues in the disappearance of Carlie Brucia, whose apparent abduction Sunday evening was captured by a car wash surveillance camera.

''We have strong evidence that he is in fact the perpetrator,'' said Capt. Jeff Bell, the lead Sarasota County sheriff's investigator on the case.

Col. Terry Lewis called it an ''ongoing, dynamic investigation.'' He said his investigative team will continue working through the night, but would not have further comment until a press briefing Thursday morning.

Sheriff Bill Balkwill said investigators were led to Smith after a tip was phoned in by a citizen.

Meanwhile, Chuck Chambers, a private investigator, hired by the girl's family said late Wednesday that he had a ''possible lead'' to her whereabouts based on an anonymous tip.

Several people - including Carlie's stepfather, Steven Kansler - went late Wednesday night to a home where Smith had recently been living, but no information was released on what clues, if any, were at the scene.

Sheriff's officials would not comment. Officers had the area cordoned off with yellow tape for several hours and removed some bags. Reporters were kept well away from the immediate area until the yellow tape was removed.

Smith has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993, according to state records. He was arrested in 1997 by Manatee County officials on kidnapping and false imprisonment charges, but was acquitted a year later, records show.

Other arrests range from misdemeanor battery to felony drug possession charges, records show, with Smith placed on probation for cocaine possession last March.

Surveillance video footage of Brucia's apparent abduction showed a man in his late 20s or early 30s in a mechanic's shirt with a name patch on one lapel. Investigators said he also had tattoos on both forearms.

Smith has many tattoos on his body, including on both arms, officials said.

From the photos, Carlie did not appear to know him, and the girl's parents said they did not recognize him.

The FBI worked with a NASA image lab to enhance the images. Balkwill did not say whether those enhanced images helped lead them to Smith.

''I think it's helping them out quite a bit and giving them details they need to solve this case,'' said Armando Oliu, who is overseeing the image lab.

Friends from the girl's former Girl Scout troop took a day off from school Wednesday to pass out fliers at malls, canvass neighborhoods and distribute pink ribbons adorned with Carlie's name.

''I don't feel too good about this, knowing my best friend is out there with a stranger,'' said Tiffany Meeks.

Many people pulled up to the site of the abduction, rolled down the windows of their cars and asked deputies how they could help. Officials were creating ''a database of volunteer support'' to try to locate the girl.

The girl's father, Joe Brucia, looked exhausted when he appeared on national television Wednesday morning.

''I'm doing OK. I have to be for Carlie's sake,'' he said on ABC's ''Good Morning America.'' ''I always have hope. I maintain that. I have to. I look forward to my daughter's safe return.''

AP-NY-02-05-04 0059EST

Jovin, I agree. As a mother, I would want to do the same. Cry, beg, plead for information on my daughter. As we all know, the percentage of finding Carlie is not high. I think they consider the first 4 hours very crucial in finding someone abducted still alive.

My heart literally breaks for her family. I talk to my daughter over and over about stranger danger. I sometimes feel like I sound like a broken record. I hate to say this, but I called my daughter in to the family room when they showed the video clip of this perp approaching Carlie. My daughter is only 8 years old and I hated to let her watch this but I wanted to show her how important it is when someone approaches you and grabs you like this to kick, scream, bite, pull hair, scream "stranger!", anything....to get away. Carlie was probably so afraid. I'm sure he threatened her with harm.

I pray literally on the hour that they find Carlie safe and alive.

Jovin said:
I keep thinking that if they could just let the family at this guy, just for a few minutes, maybe he'd talk! I know it's wrong to think this way, but the desperation we feel to know where she is, ...can you imagine how the parents feel?

I've been thinking since they announced they had him, that if I were the mother, I'd beg the police to let me see this man. I'd beg and plead and cry in front of him to no end to see if I could find a conscience in him...surely to goodnes, he MUST have some feeling for what they are going through...even use the ploy that what if it was his child, what if it was his mother going through this..anything I could do or say....I'd be begging the police to let me try.

If I were the parents I would be doing everything in my power to get in to see that guy......

And what is this with him not cooperating - is he denying the kidnapping or just not saying anything at all!!!

Let Doyle have at him...................

Jovin said:
They had a child safety expert on CNN right now...Bob Stuber and something tells me this is the man that I'd seen before on tv, giving that "pull down on the hand rather than away" manoever that I'd mentioned earlier.

He was giving tips on how a child could get away today and the first thing he said was to use the "windmill manoever" which is when the victim (whose hand or wrist is being held) makes a large circular motion(vertical) and it breaks the perp's hold..he explained that it puts the grabber's hand in an upside down position or something so that the victim can get loose and run.

Those are pretty good tips. Our organization, Rachel Alert Network, is sponsoring free self-defense and awareness classes. Our instruction teaches a simple move that would break the hold he used on Carlie. It's probably the same one CNN demonstrated.

We are currently teaching the seminars at night but hope to bring them into the middle schools and high schools. The seminar is geared towards teens and women but Carlie was the same size as most 14-year-olds. You can read more about our M.U.S.T. seminars at rachelalert.org/must .

Authorities said a news conference would be held at 4 p.m. today.

An arrest report released today says Sarasota County sheriff's deputies found cocaine and a hypodermic needle in the car of Joseph Peter Smith, the suspect in Carlie Brucia's disappearance.

Meanwhile, a state Department of Corrections official said a probation officer had asked a judge to declare Smith in violation of his probation on Dec. 30 because the unemployed mechanic had not paid all his fines and court costs.
http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040205/NEWS/40205001

I recieved a call from FDLE about this case! Travelling home on Sunday evening/Monday morning, I stopped at a rest area to use the restroom and a man walked out of the ladies room. He did resemble the photo but my immediate thought was that he was part of a cleaning crew. Once in the restroom I could hear someone in the furthest stall and wondered way the restrooms were being cleaned when it was being used. Too bad I did nothing but get back in the car and head home. The rest area has video surveillence, maybe they know more. I hope it was not him and the person in the stall was not Carlie. I am feeling a bit sick about this.

Solo, maybe I read your post wrong so I apologize if that is the case..but what the heck are you waiting for and call the authorities if not look yourself in and around that restroom?

Curious too as to if the man you saw left frazzled, tainted, upset, emotional, angry..?? Did he go BACK to the restroom? Did he come out only because you were in there...surprised? Then he more than likely left and came back once you left. Was there whimmpering, crying>? I guess I am as disturbed as you are but please get on the phone and let the authorities check this out not rely on a restroom camera?? Who knows if anyone will ever look at that at all let alone in time?

I dont have to call them they called me. FDLE is Florida Dept of law Enforcement. The man had something is his hand but I can't remember what maybe a towel?????. He walked out of the restroom and behind the vending machines, I thought he left but my friend was waiting in the car and said they never saw a man. The sound in the restroom was (at the time) interpretted by me as someone having a little trouble with constipation, kind of grunt sounds. The person in the other stall did not come out while I was in the restroom or washing my hands. It was after midnight and I was in a hurry to get back in the car.

Suspect has attorney...........has been formally charged but they have no bond on the unrelated charges. just on MSMTV.........
This guy has 3 little girls...............sick or what? Smith is not charged yet.
400 tips so far, reward is $15,000.
It is 11:00 am here in CA.

mama

SoloFlyer, why did FDLE call you? How did they get your number? Did they look at videotape from the rest stop and check your license plate numer? Perhaps they were checking all the rest stops.

I am just sick over this. I literally feel like throwing up after reading Solo's post. Not because of anything Solo did, but just the idea that if that was Carlie, that help was so close by. It is too bad the Amber Alert had not been issued yet and Solo hadn't heard of the abduction, but even then, it might have been a stretch to immediately relate what happened at the rest stop to the abduction.

Then again, maybe Solo's experience at the rest stop had nothing to do with Carlie.

How close is the rest stop to the abduction site, does anyone know?

I can't believe they have to protect this guy's rights when Carlie's life might depend on being found NOW. In the worst case, her family needs to know and bring her home. This guy needs to be tortured.

IMO.

Wow Solo, maybe you can help them track where he was and when. Don't be scared, don't be afraid of the memory, us adults have to take back our neighborhood's for our kids and stand up to these creeps.

You know, when these stories come along I try to stay at a distance emotionally, that works for a bit so your brain can think, but she's getting to me big time. Even her full name is beautiful. Ugh, I hate that we live in a world where this happens.

kk's mom said:
...... I hate to say this, but I called my daughter in to the family room when they showed the video clip of this perp approaching Carlie. My daughter is only 8 years old and I hated to let her watch this but I wanted to show her how important it is when someone approaches you and grabs you like this to kick, scream, bite, pull hair, scream "stranger!", anything....to get away. Carlie was probably so afraid. I'm sure he threatened her with harm. .......

You did the right thing! If my kids were little, I'd do the same thing...as much as you don't want to scare them, you HAVE to make them see what can happen...a video would register more than your words.

I was wondering also if anyone else saw this on the news today...I'm in a hurry here..haven't been able to read everything..but today on either CNN or MSNBC they said that they had gone to the house where the suspect had been staying and last night searched, and then they said that the stepfather had been seen running out of the house "crying hysterically" and that was the exact term...I have been watching ever since and haven't heard any reference to that again..but a few minutes ago, they mentioned that the house had been searched last night and that they had removed evidence!

Oh Lord! What do you believe? Earlier I heard that they felt she'd never been in that house???? I think they jump too soon with these tidbits...I have to run....won't be able to see the 4pm news conference..have to go out of town for the evening..I'll be praying for Carlie....

They really haven't said much more than we already know.

They are really focusing on wanting people to look for her pink backpack and also if they saw the vehicle.

They are also going to release the enhanced photos.

Carlie's mother spoke briefly. She asked that they keep Carlie's picture and the picture of the vehicle in the news constantly. Carlie's mother reminds me of Brenda Van Dam. She was very strong when she spoke through her extreme pain. My heart just breaks for her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back