FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by 0101ABA, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvaldez1975

cvaldez1975 Well-Known Member

I find it in extremely poor taste to brag who your clients are.

2. GordonX

GordonX Well-Known Member

especially when they are all scumbags.

3. TacoChip

TacoChip Member

I'm a little impressed you found this, does this mean the state of Florida has to pay SG's attorneys fee's, or how does this work? I never heard of "indigent" before.I googled it but I still don't quite get it.

4. jdrive

jdrive New Member

Yes, in any non petty criminal case, the government must provide counsel to a defendant whose indigence prevents him from securing private representation. The overwhelming majority of defendants are represented by court appointed counsel, which is why many observers here are wondering who is paying for KM's lawyer. Possible she had enough recent deposits not to qualify as indigent. Or possible someone else had an incentive to pay.

5. reallybusy

reallybusy random person

Thanks. But don't be too impressed, I just request the court docs from the website: https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...aseid=&jiscaseid=1119072&defseq=A&chargeseq=1

Here is the previous motion requesting indigent status. It's interesting because it refers to KM as SG's ex-wife. I was under the impression that they were never married and no record could be found to say they were. During KM's bond hearing, I recall (DISCLAIMER: don't quote me on blogs -- order the transcript and please don't conclude I'm saying this defense or prosecution believes :) ) KM's defense used the fact that LR referred to KM as SG's wife during his confession tape as a point of yet one more thing LR was wrong about. However, SG's own counsel is making that mistake too. Interesting.

Also, it says that SG needs to take a deposition. Wonder of who?

Random side note, I was thinking back what happened to the engagement ring that DM gave WA. I sure hope DM's family has that back. So sad if it's still with the Adelsons.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-fsu-slain-professor-divorce-20160714-story.html

"Markel also found out that Adelson had taken family heirlooms from a joint safe deposit box, according to court documents. Among them was a 2-carat diamond ring that belonged to Markel's great-aunt, a Holocaust survivor. Markel said Adelson never even wore that ring "because her parents insisted upon [her] being proposed to with her own grandmother's diamond ring."

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. TacoChip

TacoChip Member

Thank you reallybusy! This is interesting stuff, really glad to have found this site. Learning things all the time.

7. reallybusy

reallybusy random person

Yay! Glad you found it too. Regardless of what has been said about us, we are group of nice and concerned citizens just trying to get to the truth and to get justice for the victim, Dan Markel and those who loved him. I know we all agree on that.

8. GordonX

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” - Matthew 5:6

9. cvaldez1975

right, but hell if I have the services of an attorney maybe I don't want ppl to know????

10. cvaldez1975

re reference to KM as SG's ex wife... sometimes there really isn't rhyme or reason how CO's refer to someone/subject. My husband's case title is "marriage of blank and blank" when in fact they have been divorced since 2009 and this is simply child custody. the child custody has a 2010 case number, but the divorce had nothing to do w the 2010 case number either, they had gone back to court in 2010 because she filed a retaliatory TRO as a tool to gain temporary full custody and to prejudice the court.

11. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/12/28/2016-year-crime/95103494/
    http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...mes-of-the-year-the-murder-of-dan-markel.html

12. cvaldez1975

it just occurred to me as well, referring to her as ex wife may be an attempt to keep her from having to testify against him "due to marriage" .. im sure lack of marriage cert can be proven easily enough...

13. Montrealaise

Montrealaise Well-Known Member

Perhaps SG and KM were in a common-law marriage (they did have children together). A lot of common-law spouses refer to one another as "my wife" and "my husband" even though they were never married.

14. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Is common law marriage in Florida as binding as the real thing?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

15. reallybusy

reallybusy random person

Interesting tidbit.
    https://www.flanews.com/2016/12/09/murder-for-hire-bail-hearing/

Prosecutors played a handful of taped phone conversations between Magbanua and former brother in law charlie adelson. In one, he is encouraging her to leave the country.
    “To live in that country, you are rich as (expletive) and you ar not working”

Lead Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman says flight is a very real possibility.

16. GordonX

the attorney most probably got each s̶c̶u̶m̶b̶a̶g̶'̶s̶ client's permission before posting. maybe even gave them a little service discount as part of the advertising deal.

17. GordonX

Philippines?

18. cvaldez1975

that's just icky :(

19. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, but here are the laws regarding common-law marriage in FL:

http://marriage.laws.com/common-law-marriage-florida

20. Pawns123

Pawns123 Member

For sure the PI. And it is true she would be rich even without CAs monetary assistance.

Easy to see that Charlie is out for himself. He will be picked but up soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.