GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO -
1. i think trying SG and KM together is great news for the prosecution. i think when the jury looks over at that table and sees them both sitting side by side together and hears and sees the evidence against them (video surveillance, cash transactions, etc), it will really help the jury visualize this conspiracy and eventually they'll say - "yup. i can see how this played out. they did it. guilty." especially when you throw in what will be Luis Rivera's riveting testimony against both of them. this is worth the delay IMO. now these two are tied to the hip. not sure i'd want to be tied to SG's hip when they got him on video near the crime scene and they got his partner in crime testifying against him. i think this is ultimately very bad news for the alleged masterminds. if SG and KM go down together, the alleged masterminds are cooked.
2. as i've said before, i don't think either will sing against the alleged masterminds until post-conviction. i think SG's "machismo" doesn't let him rat on the mother of his kids. we know KM already REJECTED AN IMMUNITY DEAL! WHY? i think KM is repeatedly being reassured by her bad-advice attorneys (who's their REAL client, who is their puppet-master? who are they really protecting?) that she will easily beat this thing and that there's an even bigger pot of gold ($1M?) waiting for her when this is all over. the reality will only set in on KM when she hears that guilty verdict. THEN perhaps she can and will cut a deal. but until then, i think she's got dollar signs in her eyes. she's holding out for the big payday. the big reward for keeping her mouth shut.
3. i get that defense attorneys need to advocate and argue for their clients. but i think it's despicable IF any are involved in communicating or facilitating the bribery of a co-conspirator in a crime in order to gain her silence in order to protect their client AT HER OWN JEOPARDY! how is that ethical? presumably the alleged masterminds would not/can not directly communicate with KM (or SG for that matter) - for ~2 years. so how would an alleged bribe and reassurance be communicated? from attorney to attorney? perhaps located in the same building? if true, it's despicable and it should be grounds for permanent disbarment. and we still don't know who's paying for all of these legal fees! i don't mind honest lawyers advocating for their clients, but i don't like crooked lawyers doing unethical things and crossing the line if that's what's happening here. the possibility of that outrages me almost as much as the murder because if it's happening it's a mockery of our justice system.

constant communication, dangling big $1M pot of gold for silence, and reassurance? if so, unethical??? -

KM<----->KM's Attorneys<----->CA's Attorney<----->CA

Is there such a things as a deal AFTER she's been convicted? My impression is it's too late at that point. Is there something that prosecutors could hold over her head, to encourage her testify against the others, or are you thinking it would just be spitefulness.

Ironically, if KM and Garcia did admit guilt, WA could sue on behalf of her children for damages for the loss of their father. Wouldn't that be a twist.

Is there such a things as a deal AFTER she's been convicted? My impression is it's too late at that point. Is there something that prosecutors could hold over her head, to encourage her testify against the others, or are you thinking it would just be spitefulness.

Ironically, if KM and Garcia did admit guilt, WA could sue on behalf of her children for damages for the loss of their father. Wouldn't that be a twist.

Motion to Modify Sentence
Rule 3.800 of the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedures allows for certain modifications to sentencing after an individual is convicted and sentenced. These modifications may include corrections to the sentence, or reduction in the sentence. In order to accomplish this there must be a motion to modify sentence.
Florida courts consider modifications to sentences if one or more conditions are met:
* The sentence contains an error.
* The defendant assists with a separate criminal case.
* Other circumstances, including the defendant's age.

https://www.fightyourcase.com/practice-areas/motion-to-modify-sentence/

from the article post #44:

Several charges have been made in relation to Markel’s murder. One of the two hit men who killed him, Luis Rivera, pled guilty to second-degree murder; he implicated Adelson in a police interview.

So why has she not been charged??

The other hit man, Sigfredo Garcia, had a more direct connections to the Markel family: He has two children with Katherine Magbanua, who was dating Adelson’s brother Charles at the time of Markel’s murder. Charles Adelson had joked about putting out a hit on Markel.

I thought Katherine was Garcia's wife?? No?

Both Magbanua and Garcia were charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy, and solicitation of murder; Magbauna pleaded not guilty. Garcia is set for trial in July, and Magbanua is scheduled for October.

I must have missed something here! I have them both coming back on 9/18 for a pretrial hearing??? Nothing about a trial for Garcia in July?!? And her next date would final pretrial hearing 10/4, with trial starting 10/8.

And "what" county is this in?
TIA! :)

edited to add - never mind - I'm getting old... LOL! I went back & read a few posts, so I "know" what happened on the July trial being moved. I should have read my notes too! Geez... it's a getting old! :confused:

Last edited:
Embezzlement arrest of Magbanua's in-law being investigated for ties to Dan Markel case

Tallahassee detectives are investigating whether Dan Markel murder suspect Katherine Magbanua’s legal fees were being paid, at least in part, by her sister-in-law.

Samantha Chez-Magbanua, who is married to Katherine Magbanua's brother, was arrested in March in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19 million from her employer. She faces charges of grand theft of over $100,000 after her arrest by the Plantation Police Department.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-24_22-39-6.png
    upload_2018-7-24_22-39-6.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
According to the BROWARD COUNTY COMPLAINT AFFIDAVIT (page 6 of 6), Samantha's whopping alleged thefts started as far back as 2012, which was two years prior to Dan's murder. She confessed (page 5 and 6).
https://www.browardclerk.org/Web2/CaseSearch/Details/?caseid=OTk2OTQyNQ==-PcOCM1XOghs=&caseNum=18003070CF10A&category=CR
State of Florida Vs. Chez- Magbanua, Samantha
good morning!
Your link took me to an error page. I would like to read it and look at it. Please repost the link...

Prosecutors: Who's paying Magbanua's legal fees?
Karl Etters, Democrat staff writer Published 12:21 p.m. ET Feb. 21, 2017 | Updated 9:22 p.m. ET Feb. 21, 2017

But Magbanua's attorneys Tara Kawass and Christopher DeCoste say their client's legal fees are being paid by her immediate family, who has gone into financial hardship to protect her.

"They’re wrong on their theory of the murder just like they're wrong on their theory of who's paying for Katie's defense, which is her immediate family," DeCoste said in an email. "They’ve gone into their savings, into their retirement accounts, causing financial hardships, all in order to protect Katie from a wrongful conviction at the hands of an overzealous prosecution. In time their suspicions of the murder will be disproved just like the offensive suspicions that Tara Kawass and myself are focused on anything other than our duty to Katie."

Prosecutors: Who's paying Magbanua's legal fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998