FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by KayElJay, Jan 17, 2017.

1. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

WHO WAS DAN MARKEL? THE MURDER VICTIM AT THE CENTER OF “OVER MY DEAD BODY”
    NEW DETAILS EMERGE IN THE MURDER OF FSU LAW PROFESSOR DAN MARKEL, THE FOCUS OF THE TOP-RATED TRUE-CRIME PODCAST.

3/20/19

"...The case, which sparked the popular true-crime podcast Over My Dead Body, is ongoing—Sigfredo and an accomplice are due to stand trial on June 3, 2019.

Here’s what we know about Dan Markel’s murder so far...."

Who was Dan Markel? The victim at the center of “Over My Dead Body”

Indy Anna, LadyL, BrownRice and 3 others like this.
  2. wildebeest

wildebeest Well-Known Member

I just watched the Dateline ( I think ) episode concerning the case and my take aways are:

1) How badly I feel for Dan’s parents. Not only have they lost a fantastic son, but their two grandsons, and their grandson’s last names have been changed.

2) The police interview when WA is told her exhusband has been shot. She’s not a very good actress.

IMHO

3. wildebeest

wildebeest Well-Known Member

Yes, “ the Maestro” has an excellent opinion of themselves. IMO, this was the mastermind.

dotr and minusfour like this.
  4. FIFTY

FIFTY New Member

This is a good read for some corrected facts on, for example, why the Markel's have not seen their grandchildren.

Retraction

Indy Anna, Niner, Razz and 2 others like this.
  5. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Very interesting!
    Retraction

[...] We regret publishing these statements, and have since pulled the post from our website. We apologize to Ms. Adelson and her children for any pain this article may have caused them. [...]

Excerpt of letter:

upload_2019-4-1_16-34-35.png

6. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Unbelievable gall.

Indy Anna, wildebeest, kooshx and 2 others like this.
  7. kooshx

kooshx Member

It would be interesting to see if Wendi would pursue a defamation action against a publication surrounding this case. If she did, I believe it would give opposing counsel the opportunity to depose her under oath.

I think there was another Dateline episode in which a man claimed to be inappropriately arrested. The police let him go, but he sued for wrongful imprisonment. The locality's attorney was able to procure enough information from the deposition that the DA felt comfortable indicting the plaintiff after all - whether it was truly due to the additional information or malice is not clear - the man was eventually acquitted.

Nonetheless, it seems like pursuing such legal action during an unresolved criminal case could lead to the procurement of undesirable information for a plaintiff.

Indy Anna, dotr and Gardenista like this.
  8. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Haha, good point. We will definitely not see any defamation lawsuits coming from that family.

9. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Well the good thing is that the kids and the M's must be able to visit one another after all, since that story is claimed to be false. imo.

kooshx, Razz and Gardenista like this.
  10. kooshx

kooshx Member

There were some factual errors - for example, at this time, the authorities have not disclosed that they feel Wendi is a party to the murder. They have only indicated that they believe her brother (and possibly mother) were involved.

I, however, wouldn't characterize Wendi's explanation as to why the children aren't able to see their grandparents as a correction of fact. Instead, this is Wendi's justification for why communication has been severed. The reader can decide for himself/herself if this is a reasonable reaction, but the fact that the Markels are not able to interact with their grandchildren is not in dispute.

11. friendlyobserver

friendlyobserver Member

The explanation that Wendi cut off the grandparents because they were in some way operating to remove the kids from her custody is false. the communication with the prosecutor that the letter is referring to is about arrangements to be made in case Wendi and her immediate custody are all taken into custody and prosecuted for murder. this was when it appeared likely to the prosecutor georgia that the hitmen and the middlewoman will confess and point to the family who hired them.
    wendi had been making it difficult for the grandparents to see the kids from the beginning, didnt show up the funeral or any memorial, did not bring the kids to any memorial for their dad, and then decided to not allow the grandparents to see the children AT ALL. this is cruelty not only to the grandparents but cruelty of a mother toward her own children. appalling. i dont think anyone familiar with the case believes Wendi was ignorant of her brother and parents' plans to murder her ex. I think she was shielded from the details of the money handed over to the hitmen and perhaps the details of the day of the murder. The podcast makes it clear that brother Rob very much knows that she along with his parents and brother are murderers. It took alot of guts of a brother to go public this way. He showed ethics when his whole family are ruthless. gives some hope. The podcasters omitted some important details like the fact that Wendi said very seriously to jeff lacasse that her brother was looking into a hitman.

12. BSBC

BSBC Member

Are you sure that WA did not attend DM's funeral? What led you to that conclusion? This passage from the CA probable cause affidavit states that HA and DA attended, and seems to suggest that WA did too (though it's somewhat ambiguous).

Attached Files:

Niner and dotr like this.
  13. FIFTY

FIFTY New Member

Honestly that's not how that letter reads and that's not how Wendi, quite reasonably, took it . It is straight up false (and I can speak to this personally) that Wendi was making it difiicult for the Markels to see the kids prior to that letter. In fact she made quite the effort to establish a connection despite their general weirdness and the difficulty of the situation.

To address some other hilarious inaccuracies: the book is based on a friend and is not an autobiography. And she agonized over the name change. Keep in mind the kids have pictures of their father in their room.

She's just not who you think she is. Every situation is more complex than a podcast.

Gardenista and dotr like this.
  14. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

While I appreciate your efforts as a new member, I'm not sure I'm going to buy into this.

This publication is not really a publication or mainstream at all. It looks like it just is a conglomeration of stuff, and somebody could have easily planted a PR piece in here, without it being reviewed.

I find this very hinky, the original article, and also the response. I think the entire article, and the response, it's a public relations move by one of them possibly. M o o

That is why this website usually is restricted to mainstream media only.

kooshx, jennyjenny, Indy Anna and 2 others like this.
  15. BSBC

BSBC Member

FIFTY -- you appear to have some sort of connection to Wendi. Perhaps then you could shed some light on the following questions:

1) Does WA believe that her brother CA and parents (especially DA) played a role in DM's murder?

2) Does she believe that SG and LR murdered DM?

3) Does she believe that KM played a role in DM's murder?

4) If yes to #2 or #3, what motive does WA believe they have to murder DM other than because of their connection (direct or indirect) to CA?

16. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Their general weirdness! Their son was murdered!!

kooshx, jennyjenny, Niner and 3 others like this.