GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.

According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day.
"While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.

By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/22/justice/fsu-professor-killing-mystery/

Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Hi all,
Just tried reading the last 1,000 plus threads as someone asked if I could do a "thing" for the upcoming trial.

I would like to know IF I have ALL this information correct. I skipped a few pages.... :)

FL - Dan Markel (41) ( July 18, 2014) - Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. DP case. Murder for Hire hitman. They split a $100K payoff for murder. Trial starts July 9, 2018.
Accomplices:
*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) - charged (Oct. 2016) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Trial starts Oct. 8, 2018.
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2017) and plead to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19 year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.
POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Adelson & father Harvey Adelson

How did I do?

TIA!

Bringing over my post from the closed thread:

Also, since I skimmed the 1000 posts - does anyone know the ages of the Adelsons? I like to have that on my descriptions! :)

also if there are "specific" dates of charges for Mangbauna & Rivera?

TIA!
wave-smiley.gif

Somebody tried uploading the Dateline special again - not the best quality, but it seems like the only option.

Edit: Wow, looks like this was taken down already. Part of what affected the quality was the sound was sped up and there was a box around the video - probably to make it less detectable.

Either NBC is incredibly zealous in ensuring that un-posted Dateline episodes never see the light of day or someone who has a problem with the content of the episode is ensuring this doesn't get wide distribution...

Looks like Garcia's pretrial is set for next Tuesday, 6/19

PRETRIAL HEARING SET: E-FILED: PRETRIAL HEARING SET: 06/19/2018 10:30AM /ROOM# 3A

https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...p?report=full_view&caseid=0&jiscaseid=1119072

Looks like another potential "delay of game". On 6/11, the defense filed for a continuance:

MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE Motion to Continue TRIAL

I think I recall hearing that the scheduled court date was final (in the judge's mind), but it seems like there is an ongoing request for discovery (at least there's a hearing scheduled for that purpose on 6/20). Also, KM's trial has been delayed until October and the prosecution may be open to trying them jointly.

Thank you kooshx!

Very much appreciated.

So, if I understand correctly - the 6/19 hearing is for a Motion for Continuance hearing and on 6/20 Motion for Discovery - ??

TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member