GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm choosing to be hopeful this morning. Maybe they did come to a verdict last night, but just wanted to sleep on it, and have the free night and continental breakfast in the hotel, before delivering the verdict. They might not have wanted to be seen as delivering a verdict quickly just so they could get home and be done with this trial.

Good morning folks - So I Googled the defense attys in this case (just out of curiosity) and yeah 3rd rate at best. Zangeneh has very obvious typos on his website. It reads like copy and paste text. He worked as a Miami Dade prosecutor for 3 years and then went solo. DaCoste also worked as a Miami Dade prosecutor (several more years than Zangeneh) before going solo. None of the attorneys have any useful information about their experiences in criminal defense work. SG and KM should’ve got lawyers from Tallahassee.

Even though this is an obv slam dunk case for the prosecution IMO, more skilled defense lawyers could’ve done some real damage here esp for KM. DaCoste’s website almost reads like he’s some kind of personal coach. It says something about wanting to keep clients happy. Wtf? KM doesn’t need a lawyer who agrees with her narcissism - she needed a real advocate. He should’ve read her the riot act and gotten her to take a plea.

ETA: My impression is that these are the bottom feeder defense lawyers. This is them. As has been suggested by others here, they took this case for the publicity. They phoned it in - hence the theatrics. What a show!

Good morning folks - So I Googled the defense attys in this case (just out of curiosity) and yeah 3rd rate at best. Zangeneh has very obvious typos on his website. It reads like copy and paste text. He worked as a Miami Dade prosecutor for 3 years and then went solo. DaCoste also worked as a Miami Dade prosecutor (several more years than Zangeneh) before going solo. None of the attorneys have any useful information about their experiences in criminal defense work. SG and KM should’ve got lawyers from Tallahassee.

Even though this is an obv slam dunk case for the prosecution IMO, more skilled defense lawyers could’ve done some real damage here esp for KM. DaCoste’s website almost reads like he’s some kind of personal coach. It says something about wanting to keep clients happy. Wtf? KM doesn’t need a lawyer who agrees with her narcissism - she needed a real advocate. He should’ve read her the riot act and gotten her to take a plea.

Agree. For one thing, the defense attorneys should have gone to the clubs, gotten some witnesses if she indeed was a bottle girl racking up thousands in tips. Talk to Dr. Obed and get him to testify he did pay her some under the table like she claimed. Instead, DeCoste whined and acted offended that he should even have to do anything like that in his closing statement. Yeah, it's not required, but if you want to defend your client and prove she didn't do what they say, wouldn't you want to?

Good morning everyone! I haven’t been here for a while but binge watched the trial in the evenings after work. I work today but will sneak peeks on my phone to check if a verdict has come in.

I am anxious because juries scare me. I guess I am jaded after the Anthony, Chambers and OJ Simpson cases. Chris DeCoste and Saam Zangeneh threw out some outlandish, unsubstantiated theories. I was surprised that DeCoste didn’t state “If the bra doesn’t fit you must acquit”.

The first question from the jury was nonsensical and placed me more on edge. The evidence is overwhelming I am hoping justice prevails.

Here is a video of Dan speaking at a conference. Timestamp 17:09

Good morning all. I am choosing to be hopeful but just can’t shake the feeling that these convictions will feel like a shallow victory.
I think it’s good to prep for the worst and I feel similar but there’s so much there for a guilty IMO at the same time... but agreed that I don’t want to get my hopes up.
The Markels must just be beside themselves.

Agree. For one thing, the defense attorneys should have gone to the clubs, gotten some witnesses if she indeed was a bottle girl racking up thousands in tips. Talk to Dr. Obed and get him to testify he did pay her some under the table like she claimed. Instead, DeCoste whined and acted offended that he should even have to do anything like that in his closing statement. Yeah, it's not required, but if you want to defend your client and prove she didn't do what they say, wouldn't you want to?

I think the problem is that that was all obv a lie. No one would come and testify for this woman I don’t think. She wasn’t working at the clubs like that. So a good defense lawyer imo wouldn’t have made such a BIG deal about it. Raise it once and move on. But to put in such a show and then not produce a single witness hurts his client! Bad strategy. But it seems like there was no strategy. His closing was a mess. He spun some bs conspiracy between SG and CA for goodness sake! He seemed unhinged! Bad lawyering! Just bad! IMO.

ETA: My impression is that these are the bottom feeder defense lawyers. This is them. As has been suggested by others here, they took this case for the publicity. They phoned it in - hence the theatrics. What a show!

Great insight.
Agreed. To me, all three defense attorneys did treat the courtroom as some form of ego theatre, each fighting for an unobtainable prize.

“It’s the federal bureau of investigation, not the federal bureau of imagination.” DeCoste

I am extremely on edge about justice being done but I can fathom the defendants getting off. Just can’t.

I think the problem is that that was all obv a lie. No one would come and testify for this woman I don’t think. She wasn’t working at the clubs like that. So a good defense lawyer imo wouldn’t have made such a BIG deal about it. Raise it once and move on. But to put in such a show and then not produce a single witness hurts his client! Bad strategy. But it seems like there was no strategy. His closing was a mess. He spun some bs conspiracy between SG and CA for goodness sake! He seemed unhinged! Bad lawyering! Just bad! IMO.

I disagree and think it's actually a good move to make a big deal about it when the prosecution hasn't investigated it either. It leaves a question in the mind of the jurors, especially when the prosecution doesn't make the point the defense didn't investigate it (and I don't think this was stated by GC)

Good job, Weki. So where does Tara Kawass come in and why?

Great insight.
Agreed. To me, all three defense attorneys did treat the courtroom as some form of ego theatre, each fighting for an unobtainable prize.

“It’s the federal bureau of investigation, not the federal bureau of imagination.” DeCoste

I am extremely on edge about justice being done but I can fathom the defendants getting off. Just can’t.

SG won't get off. He might just not get the death penalty. I won't be mad at that. Because LR said himself he was going to be the shooter on the first trip, and his payout didn't lessen when he wasn't the shooter, there's a niggling doubt in my mind that SG may not be the shooter. I personally don't believe in the death penalty for someone who wasn't the actual killer.

[/QUOTE]
What happens if it's a hung jury for KM? Does she get released? Do they try again?

If the jury hangs on their decision with respect to KM the state will have the option of deciding whether to re-try the case against her and if they choose to do so she will remain incarcerated. She would be able to make a motion for bail but the court would be unlikely to change the current status.

1. the ATM pic and bus video (immediately following the murder) clearly shows that LR was the driver and SG was the shooter. the trigger man is never the wheel man (get away driver). regardless of who pulled the trigger, they both are principals. if i'm a juror, i can hang my hat on the ATM pic, bus video, and cell records alone.
2. the money spike, code talk, and no-show job sink KM for me. if i'm a juror, i can hang my hat on those 3 pieces alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member