GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still giggling about Gardenista’s post, thinking KM was writing her new name over and over.

In her mind, she is probably thinking she is nearing her prize, CA, that is. He and the rest of the narcissistic A’s have their bags packed and Uber on call for a trip to MIA, and then out of the country. All of them have long forgotten KM, and her assistance.

IMHO

The prosecution has the burden of proving all elements of a crime so that defense counsel always use a scattershot approach hoping to raise any questions, however minor. The great late Louis Nizer made an argument once that I found particularly persuasive. He looked hard at the jury and said, "The truth has a smell and we all know it. In the real world, cause and effect operate so we always see the logical and appropriate consequences that follow. You, the jury, can use your experience and common sense to gauge the evidence. And from its weight you will recognize the truth. Memories may not be perfect and there may be missing pieces to the puzzle because, quite simply, humans are not machines and people will try to mislead and prevaricate in order to avoid being found out or held responsible. I submit, however, that in the end the smell of the truth will always guide you. Look at what is logical and appropriate and use those guides to test the evidence presented to you."

I was gone the last few hours and I’ve had no internet!!!

How did the rebuttal go?

How are you all feeling!?
GC's rebuttal was effective. She was strong and steady and got in a few zingers about the defense's arguments. I don't see how the jury could find anything other than G for both defendants. JMO.

Last edited:
Still giggling about Gardenista’s post, thinking KM was writing her new name over and over.

In her mind, she is probably thinking she is nearing her prize, CA, that is. He and the rest of the narcissistic A’s have their bags packed and Uber on call for a trip to MIA, and then out of the country. All of them have long forgotten KM, and her assistance.

IMHO
Oh absolutely! The A’s have no loyalty except to each other. They couldn’t give a crap about KM.

The prosecution has the burden of proving all elements of a crime so that defense counsel always use a scattershot approach hoping to raise any questions, however minor. The great late Louis Nizer made an argument once that I found particularly persuasive. He looked hard at the jury and said, "The truth has a smell and we all know it. In the real world, cause and effect operate so we always see the logical and appropriate consequences that follow. You, the jury, can use your experience and common sense to gauge the evidence. And from its weight you will recognize the truth. Memories may not be perfect and there may be missing pieces to the puzzle because, quite simply, humans are not machines and people will try to mislead and prevaricate in order to avoid being found out or held responsible. I submit, however, that in the end the smell of the truth will always guide you. Look at what is logical and appropriate and use those guides to test the evidence presented to you."

Thanks for sharing this. Excellent quote.

KM's testimony definitely stunk and it wasn't the smell of truth!

I can imagine DA taking the fall on behalf of the family if it comes down to it. The ultimate martyr's sacrifice for the ultimate manipulator. I did it all for family! My family, who need me and abandon me! Like Frank Pentangeli in The Godfather, when he sees his brother from the Old Country like a ghost at the back of the courtroom.

Or like (though with far lower stakes) my own archetypal Jewish grandmother, who would regularly ply us with gigantic plates of heavy food we didn't want and couldn't finish so she could kvetch to the neighbours about her poor ravenous grandchildren -- look at them! Starved by their shiksa mother who never cooks!

What a toxic crew this is.

220px-Steely_Dan-Katy_Lied.jpg

It don't seem right
Well I been strung out here all night
I'm waiting for the taste you said you'd bring to me
Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban children
Sleep all day
I'm searching for the song
You used to sing to me
Katy lies
You can see it in her eyes
Imagine my surprise
When I saw you

This is excellent! Thank you!

Annoying for sure. But not a bad strategy. The odds that one person on a N Florida jury would hold the view that "the government" is somehow an evil entity that is designed to oppress and defraud are not low. DeCoste is basically trying to change the state from the good guys seeking justice to the bad guys who are arbitrarily throwing around their power to crush innocent people. Total BS IMO but if you can make that narrative stick with one person--mistrial.
GC's rebuttal was effective. She was strong and steady and got in a few zingers about the defense's arguments. I don't see how the jury could find anything other than G for both defendants. JMO.
Thank you so much! I’m still catching up! I’m optimistic, but still nervous. Dan and his family deserve justice.

Good one! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I smell something rotten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members