GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still rewatching LR testimony off and on and have a question. What do you guys think about LR saying he saw WA in the neighborhood? It sounds like GC believes him on that point and I don't understand why.

I'm really not sure, but I do know that LR did not intentionally say he saw her walking up the Markels driveway. IIRC, there was a little bit of a confusing exchange and he didn't know what he was saying "yes" to. If you come up to what I'm talking about (I'm not explaining it well) can you post the video you're watching and direct us to the time?

I think it could be likely whomever they saw was just another lady in the neighborhood walking with her kids. She may have looked at them because they looked suspicious or she didn't recognize the car, etc.

There is plenty of money for KM's next trial defense! In my opinion (based on common sense as well as June's sworn testimony), the alleged masterminds paid/will pay for KM's and SG's attorney fees. The alleged masterminds lose everything including their freedom and lives if their co-conspirators fall and then flip. They must try to save them at any and all costs - which maxes out at their last dollar. There is more than a wink and a nod among all of these sleazy attorneys.

We found a doc the other day that said SG attorneys are court appointed.

I'm really not sure, but I do know that LR did not intentionally say he saw her walking up the Markels driveway. IIRC, there was a little bit of a confusing exchange and he didn't know what he was saying "yes" to. If you come up to what I'm talking about (I'm not explaining it well) can you post the video you're watching and direct us to the time?

I think it could be likely whomever they saw was just another lady in the neighborhood walking with her kids. She may have looked at them because they looked suspicious or she didn't recognize the car, etc.

Starts at 33 minutes

Any more info about the holdout? Must have been dozing during all the evidence...or a bleeding heart.

IMHO

I sincerely hope we don't hear anything until after the sentencing. The defense could potentially call a mistrial if the jury was speaking to people before the sentencing was done?

After the sentencing, I hope each of the jurors, at least 11 of them, sit down with the prosecution and speak to them as far as what their weaknesses were so they can do it right the next time. I would hope and think they were invested in the outcome and wanting to make it right. M o o indeed I am more concerned that the prosecution knows how to better next time than for us in the public to know what was discussed behind closed doors with that 12th juror, and all twelve of them.

Last edited:

LR under cross exam talks about seeing WA on sidewalk close to house....51.30 on video

LR under cross exam talks about seeing WA on sidewalk close to house....51.30 on video

OK, so starting at 53:00 he does say he can't remember if she walked up toward the Markel house. First he says a hesitant yes, then quickly retracts and says he's not going to say that because he doesn't remember. Kawass then verifies he never said that in any prior statements. Just that he saw her in his rearview mirror.

Also, Kawass' tone....ugh....she's so accusatory about even the most mundane things lol. Is this what they teach in law school?

OK, so starting at 53:00 he does say he can't remember if she walked up toward the Markel house. First he says a hesitant yes, then quickly retracts and says he's not going to say that because he doesn't remember. Kawass then verifies he never said that in any prior statements. Just that he saw her in his rearview mirror.

Also, Kawass' tone....ugh....she's so accusatory about even the most mundane things lol. Is this what they teach in law school?

SG tells LR it's the woman with the kids. SG seems to know exactly who she is and makes me think they may have met in person. I'll take anything that incriminates that evil woman. And that attorney is extremely irritating.

SG tells LR it's the woman with the kids. SG seems to know exactly who she is and makes me think they may have met in person. I'll take anything that incriminates that evil woman. And that attorney is extremely irritating.

We need either Katie or SG to tell us if Wendi and SG had ever met!! C'mon guys....one of you do the right thing!

We found a doc the other day that said SG attorneys are court appointed.

Per the docs - SZ received $15,000 for SG's defense from KM right before she was arrested. SZ's total fee was $75,000. SZ told the government that he's not going to be asking the government to pay for the rest of his legal fees - he wants them to pay only for the expert witnesses. So does SZ think he's going to be able to collect his full fee eventually from someone? Was he promised it by someone? Or is he doing this $60,000 discount pro bono for the publicity? My money is on the former. Where did KM get the $15,000? Bottle Girl Service Tips? This video explains it in further detail -

Magbanua to pay $75,000 to Garcia’s lawyers before she was arrested
Oct 9, 2019
Mentour Lawyer

Last edited:
Good theory. If this is the case, SG knew who he was doing the job for.
yeah I was thinking the same thing, they had to all know, it was a plan. The one thing that keeps nagging at me is the fact he dropped off the kids so they were in his custody when it happened. I know they were in school but still, I cannot imagine a mother asking a couple of gansta hitmen to come to my house and whack my latex spouse when my kids were anywhere near there. What if SG saw his only chance and pulled the trigger with those poor boys there in the back seat? This is the only thing that makes me feel like WA didn't know about the hit. I dunno. In one interview LR said he was not going to kill no mens with kids or over some kids, something to that effect but hey here we are at trial and he is admitting he did it or was just the ride along for company. 35K to just ride along and keep the real killer company, That sounds so shady and fake. BTW, I know he has a personality but remember this guy would cut your throat or your momma's throat in a New York minute if it meant some payout. He is about as low as you can get IMO..

Last edited:
We need either Katie or SG to tell us if Wendi and SG had ever met!! C'mon guys....one of you do the right thing!

I'm betting that conniving KM has some hard evidence hidden away. Her arrogant persona broke when they convicted SG. Maybe to save SG from the death penalty she'll try barter with it, I can only hope. And hope it leads right to Wendi. I loath that woman.

I remember something similar -- SG was declared indigent for purposes of having his costs (investigator, experts etc) paid for by the State. Not sure about attorneys fees though. JMO.

From what I understand, the state pays the attorneys representing a DP defendant if the county where they are being tried has no DP qualified Public Defenders.
And Leon County's last DP qualified Public Defender retired right after The Gary Michael Hilton trial.

How does that jive with this February a submission to the judge saying that km was responsible for $75,000, and she is only paid fifteen thousand of his legal fees?

If I recall correctly and m o o[/

Right. Her attorneys got paid, right? Or have they? Where did she expect to get $75,000 from to pay SG’s fees?

From what I understand, the state pays the attorneys representing a DP defendant if the county where they are being tried has no DP qualified Public Defenders.
And Leon County's last DP qualified Public Defender retired right after The Gary Michael Hilton trial.
But SG isn’t using a Leon County Public Defender. SZ is a Miami based attorney who KM was to pay $75,000, bit has only paid $15,000 to date.

To be more specific, he asked who the lady is on the sidewalk, and Garcia tells him the identity is Wendi.

His identification of Wendi was based upon, from what he is saying that happened at that time and from what he knew, was due to what Garcia said.

In other words, in his testimony, I don't think he is stating that he knew it was windy, he was just stating that Garcia said it was Wendi.

And perhaps later, he was shown a picture (which I did not see evidence of within testimony,) that he also identified her as the lady he saw on the street.

It was referred to but I don't recall it being in Evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches