GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd go ahead & copy this guy's tweets - I did notice he skipped over the car rental guy.

Karl Etters
@KarlEtters
·
4h
And we're live. Luis Rivera will return to the stand today as Katherine Magbanua's attorneys continue their cross examination

Prosecutors have entered into evidence recorded jail phone calls. Defense attys are contending they have not been able to review them. Judge Wheeler will hold a hearing on them on Monday. Apparently the calls occured after jury selection. At least one is in Spanish

The defense contends they occured before jury selection. The state contends they were after

Magbanua's defense team is having to work around Luis Rivera not being able to read. So they're playing back to him recorded interviews in lieu of handing him transcripts to use as impeachment of his courtroom testimony

Rivera said he doesn't remember which bridge the gun that killed Markel was thrown off. Magbanua's attys are trying to press him into talking about wanting to avoid unrelated federal charges for possession of a firearm by deceiving investigators about its location

Rivera testifies that Magbanua and Garcia had throw away phones, which would explain no call records when the killers say they spotted Wendi Adelson, and that he never drove the car on the first trip, despite getting an FHP citation...

..DeCoste "Isn’t this you evolving your story to make up for the mistakes?"

Rivera: "It’s the same answer I gave since day one. You’re not going to sit there and confuse me."

Rivera is off the stand but subject to being recalled as a witness

TPD Sgt Chris Corbett, cell phone data analyst, is recounting where suspects and Wendi Adelson were the day Markel was killed. This is a highly dense review of cell phone tower data

Corbett details a single call in which Sigfredo Garcia called Harvey Adelson, Wendi's dad, 17 days before Markel's murder.

The same number pinged off a cell tower servicing Premier gym the day Markel was killed.

That's lunch. Be back at 1

link:

"Corbett details a single call in which Sigfredo Garcia called Harvey Adelson, Wendi's dad, 17 days before Markel's murder.

The same number pinged off a cell tower servicing Premier gym the day Markel was killed."

I am confused here. LR said that KM and SG were using throwaway phones on the day of the murder. But the cell that pinged off the tower near Premier gym was identifiable as SG's phone, if it is known that he used the same phone to call Harvey Adelson. Does that mean that he used his own phone at some point at the time of the murder? Or did he use the throwaway to call HA, and if so, how did the police know that it was SG calling HA?

Looks like there are no tweets from either one after lunch. I'll pick them up in my morning - if no one else posts them.
Good night...

"Corbett details a single call in which Sigfredo Garcia called Harvey Adelson, Wendi's dad, 17 days before Markel's murder.

The same number pinged off a cell tower servicing Premier gym the day Markel was killed."

I am confused here. LR said that KM and SG were using throwaway phones on the day of the murder. But the cell that pinged off the tower near Premier gym was identifiable as SG's phone, if it is known that he used the same phone to call Harvey Adelson. Does that mean that he used his own phone at some point at the time of the murder? Or did he use the throwaway to call HA, and if so, how did the police know that it was SG calling HA?
I'm pretty sure that law enforcement is saying that SG's main cell phone (not a burner) was used to call HA on July 1, 2014. I don't think law enforcement has information on any of the alleged burner phones. JMO.

I'm pretty sure that law enforcement is saying that SG's main cell phone (not a burner) was used to call HA on July 1, 2014. I don't think law enforcement has information on any of the alleged burner phones. JMO.
Thank you. So SG did use his own phone in Tallahassee on the day of the murder, and used it near the Premier Gym?

A good day for the prosecution. ... Of course, the big question hanging now is what, on earth, will Katie's recorded jailhouse conversations reveal. I'm not going to get too excited, because she has been exceptionally careful, and it is difficult to imagine her admitting anything significant on a jail telephone. Nevertheless, we've all had situations where we've let our guard down and there is a possibility, however slim, that she made some sort of admission.

Thank you. So SG did use his own phone in Tallahassee on the day of the murder, and used it near the Premier Gym?
I don't have time to go through the testimony right now, but in opening (see link below at 44:45) the prosecutor said that cell tower records showed LR and SG's phones in the area of Premiere gym while Dan was there on the 18th, and that LR and SG both powered down their phones minutes before the murder. As to actual phone calls, I would need to look at the testimony again but what I recall now is that SG did not make any calls in Tallahassee that day -- that he was about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours away from Tallahassee when he powered his phone back on (around 12:30 pm) and contacted KM. JMO.

Y’all I can’t believe Charlie Adelson has been got! I found out a couple weeks ago and immediately thought of this thread! Ha!

As for the retrial, it feels lethargic but maybe it’s because I already know all the facts. I’m disappointed that Cappelman is prosecuting again. I was hoping they’d get someone with more energy but I guess it’s her case. She prob knows it inside out and it’d be too much work for someone else to take over. Rivera looks more scary with the ugly neck tattoos! What was he thinking?

A good day for the prosecution. ... Of course, the big question hanging now is what, on earth, will Katie's recorded jailhouse conversations reveal. I'm not going to get too excited, because she has been exceptionally careful, and it is difficult to imagine her admitting anything significant on a jail telephone. Nevertheless, we've all had situations where we've let our guard down and there is a possibility, however slim, that she made some sort of admission.
Yeah, the prosecution and Sgt. Corbett did an incredible job summarizing very complex cell phone evidence which paints a very clear picture about Katie's direct involvement. If DeCoste scored any points against Rivera this morning, all of that will be washed away by the damning cell phone evidence. There's just no innocent way of explaining how she could be at the guy's house who the Defense admits ordered/paid for the hit the night of the murder and then to be calling both killers to arrange the money drop the next day. The only time she ever called or tried to call Rivera was when he was either going to kill Dan Markel or the day after. And that doesnt even include her driving Garcia to rent the first rental car or getting rid of her phone just days after the murder. These are her electronic fingerprints of how she quarterbacked this crime.

The recorded jailhouse conversations are interesting but I agree that she has been incredibly cautious so am not expecting a bombshell. Why would she be talking on the phone now? Pure guess, but my only thinking is it might be related to Garcia's testimony next week - possibly trying to get a message to him or more likely through a third party to him prior to his testimony. I guess we will find out soon enough!

Last edited:
Note for Kath with numbers 1963??

Have a look at the Arrest warrant for KM which is referenced in these pages. It is mentioned on page six. the call from 786-372 5986 to
954- 980 zzzz which was Harvey's phone around July 1st (a desperate attempt to find CJA ??). It's the same old S Garcia phone all along. This phone was dumped 19th July and ceased transmitting - or was crushed. SG should have bought a new phone for cash just for this killing if he had any sense.
Separate related subject. I have a cold memory of the police getting hold of Rivera's Iphone (which must have been stored on the outside as he was in Fed Pen and sentenced on Racketering charges when the finally fingered him as the driver. If this is true , there appear to have been no identifiable "burner" phones. Rivera used an Iphone as it had features that suited him as an illiterate.

We often create an interactive timeline using the web service Tiki-Toki for cases we are involved in. We also occasionally create them for cases we are simply following and have an interest in. For instance, here's a link to a VERY EARLY timeline we created for the Suzanne Morphew case. (Again, this was early in the case, and we did not go on to continue the timeline, so it is not complete, nor particularly useful).

Here's a link to a fully completed timeline we created for a big case involving Covid at a restaurant in New Orleans. Note that in the lower right corner you can adjust the settings for how the timeline is displayed and enter searches for terms. On the lower left side if you click the "3D" button you can view the full timeline as a trippy 3D experience!

I would like to create a Timeline for all of us in this thread to be able to use. The timeline is searchable, and its graphic presentation makes it really convenient to see links between information. Our problem is we are really busy with several ongoing cases for work, so I figured I throw out the possibility of having members of the thread pitch in and help build it. In particular, I'd like to see if we can get the relevant communications posted, since there are so many calls. I can give anyone willing to help the "secret word" that will allow you to post entries to the timeline. We can moderate and edit by adding information or correcting, if necessary. I kicked it off with a couple entries you can see HERE.

No pressure and no obligation. Even if you just post a couple entries, that would help. You will only be able to edit your own entries. You can use your websleuths name or invent a new name for use only on the timeline. We find this approach to be very useful to catalog and collect information. Send me a PM if you are interested in helping and I'll ask Tricia to put the timeline in a pinned post for this thread when it gets further along.

Last edited:

The recorded jailhouse conversations are interesting but I agree that she has been incredibly cautious so am not expecting a bombshell. Why would she be talking on the phone now? Pure guess, but my only thinking is it might be related to Garcia's testimony next week - possibly trying to get a message to him or more likely through a third party to him prior to his testimony. I guess we will find out soon enough!
Good thinking. We know Garcia penned a love-sick note to her upon his conviction (saying, among other things, that she wouldn't have his "bad juju" sitting next to her in her retrial) and it would make sense that she might communicate with family or others regarding his professed love and her appreciation of his support. Anything that shows his devotion to her or her appreciation of same would be useful to the prosecution to cross him and establish he'd say anything to help the woman he loves.

Oh Garcia will testify? To say what? That she had nothing to do with it I assume? Sorry y’all I’m just today catching up and I’ve only seen openings and the Rivera cross and redirect so far.

Separate related subject. I have a cold memory of the police getting hold of Rivera's Iphone (which must have been stored on the outside as he was in Fed Pen and sentenced on Racketering charges when the finally fingered him as the driver. If this is true , there appear to have been no identifiable "burner" phones. Rivera used an Iphone as it had features that suited him as an illiterate.
Rivera testified last time that he had two iPhones and he describes the phone Garcia had as a "burner phone" that was a flip phone. Go to the transcript HERE and scroll down to page 1050. (or you can type in Control-"F" and search for the term "burner."

Oh Garcia will testify? To say what? That she had nothing to do with it I assume? Sorry y’all I’m just today catching up and I’ve only seen openings and the Rivera cross and redirect so far.
On opening Ms. Kawass promised 100% that they would prove Katie knew nothing about the murder before it occurred. She also said Garcia was part of the conspiracy, so it seems she is going to have him say he conspired with Charlie and kept it from Katie. (good luck with this hail mary)

On opening Ms. Kawass promised 100% that they would prove Katie knew nothing about the murder before it occurred. She also said Garcia was part of the conspiracy, so it seems she is going to have him say he conspired with Charlie and kept it from Katie. (good luck with this hail mary)
Thank you! I did note that defense is now bolder in saying Garcia conspired with Charlie directly. Although they still argue Rivera is the shooter. I guess now that Garcia has been convicted he can protect Katie and they are free to throw him under the bus. I don’t know I still feel worried that it will be a hung jury again. Cappelman just doesn’t sell it well IMO. I noticed she didn’t open.

I don't have time to go through the testimony right now, but in opening (see link below at 44:45) the prosecutor said that cell tower records showed LR and SG's phones in the area of Premiere gym while Dan was there on the 18th, and that LR and SG both powered down their phones minutes before the murder. As to actual phone calls, I would need to look at the testimony again but what I recall now is that SG did not make any calls in Tallahassee that day -- that he was about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours away from Tallahassee when he powered his phone back on (around 12:30 pm) and contacted KM. JMO.

Thank you!

Note for Kath with numbers 1963??

Have a look at the Arrest warrant for KM which is referenced in these pages. It is mentioned on page six. the call from 786-372 5986 to
954- 980 zzzz which was Harvey's phone around July 1st (a desperate attempt to find CJA ??). It's the same old S Garcia phone all along. This phone was dumped 19th July and ceased transmitting - or was crushed. SG should have bought a new phone for cash just for this killing if he had any sense.
Thank you!

Don't know the motivation but it makes it harder to compare/distinguish her testimony on the two different days when she is wearing the same thing. It looks like one day of testimony. JMO.
Looks like there are no tweets from either one after lunch. I'll pick them up in my morning - if no one else posts them.
Good night...
Thank you Niner for all the updates!

I have a few questions: first, what is the significance of asking wendi about her estranged brother and the family not liking the fact he wanted to marry outside of his faith. wendi said she wasn't speaking with him but not because of that, and I didn't understand why GC didn't follow up with - so why then don't you speak? because the reason is that the brother said on a public podcast that he believes his family murdered dan. Why not push on that? why not push on the fact that she broke up with her boyfriend after a year the week before the murder? maybe because she isn't on trial so saving the bigger questions?
second, can garcia's testimony be used against charlie in his trial? if he says he conspired directly with him - isn't that an immediate conviction for charlie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie