FL FL - David 'Donny' Pichosky, 71, & Rochelle Wise, 66, Hallandale Beach, 10 Jan 2013

Thank you for the welcome wagon. I really needed a place like this to voice my opinion and observations. it feels good to let it out and maybe come up with some answers. The family happen to be in the states when the couple was murdered. Now Mister police person comes out with a calming statement to people of that community only and not to the town of Hallandale. DO NOT be afraid we have some suspects and leaking out any info might jeopardize their investigation. Bunch of hogwash. Smoke Screen

I understand your concern
Its rather difficult not to be afraid when you have no information about a neighbourhood crime

What is the hold up about cause of death?

Welcome Wannabedetect!

Do you happen to know if the back of the condos have gate access through a fence?

From what I could see by looking at Real Estate listings, the back yards/patios are reached via a sliding glass door and are fenced in. The fences I saw, did not appear to have gate access. So, if the only way into the condo was through the front door, and the killer/s were either invited in, or knocked on the door and pushed their way in.

Police are still not giving out any details of the crime, and it has been two weeks now. But from what has been reported, it appears that they believe the couple were targeted, rather than it being a random killing, as they met with the residents of the condo complex yesterday to let them know that they had no reason to live in fear.

LE claim they are pursing “good solid leads” and plan on visiting Toronto to meet with family and local LE. Can we assume from this, that they believe people known to the couple are involved, and that they are working with Toronto LE on an arrest and subsequent extradition process?

The person who was murdered was a retired accountant. I have tried to google him to find out what type of accountant he was , no such luck. Lets say he had important information and this is a hit from someone who does not want info released. They did say they were tied up and bludgeoned to death. Was info forced by binding them to get info then killing them. You are right a fence goes around entire property. The person or person's were let in thru the front door. European murders tend to kill everyone ie.. Russians without regard to what the crime scene looks like. Lets say the killer crossed international boundaries to hunt their prey. It seems that way,that the killers are from Canada.

Hallandale LE will be in Toronto for 4 days investigating the homicide. I hope they decide to release more information after their visit, or better still, make an arrest.

While police have released few details about the case, the Hallandale Beach chief of police and three detectives are travelling to Toronto this weekend seeking more information about the victims.

The Florida investigators intend to speak with some of the victims' friends and relatives while in the city from Sunday to Thursday of next week

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lain-couple-florida-police-investigation.html

Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 08:16 PM EST
TORONTO - The slaying of an elderly Canadian couple in Florida earlier this month may not have been a random act, according to U.S. investigators.
“We’re trying to figure out who their business associates were, their neighbours. Were they liked? Were they disliked?” said Dwayne Flournoy, Hallandale Beach’s police chief. “We don’t have information (about) their activities as it relates to Toronto ... We’re trying to get a better understanding of who (they) were.”

When asked if Pichosky, a retired businessman, and Wise, the former director of a kids’ day camp, had been targeted, Flournoy didn’t rule it out as a possibility.

“We haven’t ruled anything out right now,” said Flournoy, who called it a “complicated” case. “If they were targeted, we’re not releasing that information. Right now, everything is in the realm of possibility.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/23/police-come-north-to-investigate-toronto-couples-florida-murder

The Residents Meeting
LE held a meeting with the residents of the condos, who are understandably concerned about the murders in their midst, but they still didn’t release any further information

“I came away from the meeting a little bit upset because we really learned nothing,” said Kolber.

Baron said that the police told residents not to expect answers any time soon. “They think it’s going to take a lot of time and a lot of hard work,” Baron told the Forward.

The Cause of Death
Sounds like they are probably in possession of the medical examiner’s report on cause of death, but are not releasing it

On January 15, Hallandale Beach police officials told the Forward that the medical examiner had not yet determined a cause of death. Hallandale Beach police officials did not respond to inquiries about the cause of death on January 23.

Broward County District 17 chief medical examiner Craig Mallak told the Forward in an email that information about the cases was “under a Police hold” and that his office could release no information about them.

Even in active investigations, authorities rarely withhold the cause of death from the public, especially for such a lengthy period of time.

The Security surrounding the Condos
It’s not clear what the purpose of the checkpoints are, if they allow all traffic through. Do they have surveillance video of all traffic going in and out during the time in question, and is it possible for pedestrian’s to avoid the cameras?

Venetian Park is a development of two-story condominiums on a small island in the Intracoastal Waterway just south of Ft. Lauderdale. Roads leading on to the island are guarded with security checkpoints, but the checkpoints are situated on public roads and allow all traffic through.

http://forward.com/articles/169834/...ries-jewish-snowbirds-in/?p=all#ixzz2Iu62HDGm

Just curious....but since this happened in Miami, does anyone know if The First 48 film crew are following this case?

Just curious....but since this happened in Miami, does anyone know if The First 48 film crew are following this case?
This really wasn't in Miami. Hallandale is in Broward county - north of Miami. And I don't anything about The First 48 at all.

It sounds as if there is more to this story then a random home invasion

I doubt it, because they will have got zero information out of Hallandale LE. About the only information we have is that the couple was found dead, and it looks as if they are not looking locally for the answers, but are looking at someone known to them in the Toronto area.

A very strange case. LR have made statements that they have strong leads but then also say not to expect answers any time soon. Those two statements seem at odds to me.

A woman from Toronto has a friend who went to the funeral of the murdered couple in Toronto and said the husband Donny was involved in diamonds. Also said the wife was found slumped over in the kitchen and husband in the bedroom.

A woman from Toronto has a friend who went to the funeral of the murdered couple in Toronto and said the husband Donny was involved in diamonds. Also said the wife was found slumped over in the kitchen and husband in the bedroom.

Thats very interesting
There was a murder in Vaughan (West of Toronto )back in the eighties, Tadio Masuko was found shot to death in his office. There was also talk about him being involved in the diamond industry. It was never solved AFAIK

Hallandale LE should be in Toronto today, and have outlined who they will be interviewing. They will be accompanied by local LE, and they may call upon the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police, ie, federal/national police force) to assist with their investigation and coordinate the analysis of their findings.

I’m really hoping that their leads pan out and they find out who is responsible for this horrific crime.

“We will be working with some of the Toronto law enforcement authorities who will be accompanying us,” said Flournoy. “Monday we’re going to be meeting with [the victims’] family members and conducting interviews; Tuesday we’ll be perhaps visiting some prior places of employment and their residence; Wednesday we’ll do some wrap-up and Thursday morning we may have to finish some more wrap-up.”

http://www.jewishtribune.ca/news/20...-day-visit-to-toronto-as-part-of-murder-probe

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...no-signs-of-trauma-florida-tv-station-reports
"Retired homicide investigator Mark Mendelson said it makes sense that Florida officers are now interviewing the victims’ friends and family in Toronto.

“It’s nothing unusual for them to come up here and want to meet with their families, to try and find if there’s something in their lives that’s a catalyst for the homicides,” said Mendelson, a former lead Toronto homicide investigator who now runs a security and investigations firm.

Mendelson said he’s impressed that the force for the community of 38,000 has sent their chief and three investigators north."

Snip
“The feeling is that nobody knows because the cops are still tight-lipped,” Beauchamp said. “Nobody knows so nobody talks about it.”

Mendelson said it made sense for the Florida team to travel north to try to better understand the victims in order to develop theories and leads.

The Toronto police service is cooperating with the Florida investigators.

Mendelson said this would include things like property checks, search warrants, banking information and cell phone records.

It’s also useful to have local officers make introductions for interviews, he said.

“It’s much better if it’s done with the assistance of somebody from the home force,” Mendelson added.

Snip

“There’s video all over the place,” Mendelson said. “Security equipment is everywhere. It’s Florida. Everybody’s security conscious in Florida.”

The couple’s email records would also be probed.

It’s all important to get to know everything possible about the victims, Mendelson said. “You’ve got financial issues. You’ve got familial issues.”

Mendelson said it’s also important for investigators to know everything of value that was in their home before the attack.

“Was there something in that house that somebody wants"?

[video=youtube;tXjfjiOo5sE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjfjiOo5sE[/video]

If I’m reading the quote below, correctly, it appears as if Hallandale LE are saying that the killer/s left behind plenty of evidence, which has now been analysed by the lab.

As they sent their police chief and investigators to Toronto, can we assume that the evidence points to it being someone known to the couple, and they are are in Toronto to finalize things by building up their case (and make an arrest). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the case, otherwise why would they be so confident that they are going to solve the case.

Police haven't said much about the crime, including how the couple was killed.

"I can tell you that I'm elated as to where we are considering the short time span and the complexity of the case. We are analyzing a tremendous amount of evidence," Flournoy said. "There's a tremendous amount of evidence in the custody of the lab and we're processing that. And I believe, I truly believe, we're going to solve this case."
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Hallan...tigate-Canadian-Couples-Murder-188810261.html

It doesn’t sound as if this will be solved quickly, if they are looking at returning to Toronto in two months.

Florida police work non-stop in Toronto on murder case
“It has been morning till night,” Dwayne Flournoy, chief of police for Hallandale Beach, told the Jewish Tribune at Toronto Police Service headquarters early on Wednesday morning. “In fact, we could have perhaps used another day here, but unfortunately we’re not going to be able to extend it another day. So we may be back here in a couple months after we go back [to Florida] and put all the evidence together and look at our case.”

With the assistance of Toronto Police, the team spent Monday and Tuesday meeting with Pichosky’s and Wise’s children and speaking by phone with the couple’s accountants and financial managers.

Today (Wednesday) police were planning to visit Bialik Hebrew Day School, where Wise was vice-principal of the preschool program before she retired, and to meet with former business colleagues of Toronto Floor Rental Mats, the business Pichosky co-owned before he retired (and subsequently sold to Cintas).
http://www.jewishtribune.ca/news/2013/01/30/florida-police-work-non-stop-in-toronto-on-murder-case

It doesn’t sound as if this will be solved quickly, if they are looking at returning to Toronto in two months.

Florida police work non-stop in Toronto on murder case

http://www.jewishtribune.ca/news/2013/01/30/florida-police-work-non-stop-in-toronto-on-murder-case

Its hard to believe that this trip was all about getting to know who this couple was.
It feels very much like the police suspect the motive stems from something going on in their lives at home, not something in Florida

A couple of months????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back