FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by lizzybeth, Feb 24, 2010.

1. jon_burrows

jon_burrows New Member

2. keyleigh

keyleigh Land down under

I'm so glad stations continue to air Blackfish. The more people that see it, the more people will realise how horrific and cruel these amusement parks are.

3. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

The Blackfish effect: SeaWorld loses $25.4 million after documentary criticizing treatment of killer whales cuts park attendance

SeaWorld reported a wider loss in its fourth quarter of $25.4 million as attendance to its theme parks continued to fall

SeaWorld has been battling negative publicity after a 2013 documentary, 'Blackfish,' said treatment of animals led to the deaths of trainers

Attendance to the company’s 11 parks between October and December fell 2.2 percent to 4.4 million from 4.5 million in the same period a year ago

Jim Atchison, who had served as CEO and president since 2009, stepped down in January following the documentary

A beluga whale named Nanuq who was on loan to under-fire SeaWorld has died after fracturing his jaw during an 'interaction' with two other whales

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...les-lowers-park-attendance.html#ixzz3SwsPaVEM

4. Blondie in Spokane

5. Blondie in Spokane

6. keyleigh

keyleigh Land down under

Disgusting. I have no other words.

7. Blondie in Spokane

SeaWorld launches new ad campaign after backlash from 'Blackfish' and ahead of former trainer's book release, but company says timing is not intentional

SeaWorld has been battling negative publicity after a 2013 documentary, 'Blackfish,' said treatment of animals led to the deaths of trainers

It has launched new print and YouTube campaign

SeaWorld claims timing of campaign has nothing to do with a former trainer's book release set for Tuesday which could bring more bad press

Company says campaign focuses on the marine-life theme park's efforts of caring for animals in captivity and in the wild

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gn-disparaging-documentary.html#ixzz3VG7yDZ3r

8. LucyVino

LucyVino New Member

I bought the new ibook today so far it's pretty good.

9. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

SeaWorld goes on attack against former trainer John Hargrove

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ainer-video-john-hargrove-20150331-story.html

On Tuesday, SeaWorld sent to reporters an almost 5-year-old video of Hargrove drinking and repeatedly using a racial epithet during a recorded cellphone conversation. The company also said Tuesday that Hargrove quit "after being disciplined for a severe safety violation involving the park's killer whales" that resulted in his transfer from the orca stadium.

Hargrove disputed the company's portrayal of his departure and accused SeaWorld of conducting a smear campaign against him.

An attorney for Hargrove, Steve Berman, said last week SeaWorld sent a "threatening letter" about the book; Berman did not give details. A lawsuit Berman's firm filed last week against SeaWorld on behalf of consumers says Eric Davis, editor of AwesomeOcean.com, sent a threatening email to Hargrove.

"Hey John, Just your friendly AwesomeOcean guy Eric here!" the email says, according to the lawsuit. "Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that some journalist (sic) are digging DEEP into your past. They have some crazy stuff that is ready to drop when your book drops."

Davis said the email was not meant to be threatening and that he was not referring to the video.

* Amazes me how the desperate grasp at straws.
    JMO

10. Blondie in Spokane

SeaWorld accused of drugging killer whales, leaving them to suffer sunburn in shallow pools and PAINTING over injuries

SeaWorld Florida accused of drugging its performing killer whales

Lawsuit alleges park's pools are so shallow the orcas get sunburned

Accuse staff of painting over killer whales' injuries and burns

Claims marine park use chlorine 'many times stronger than bleach'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-pools-PAINTING-injuries.html#ixzz3X2G75Ssa

11. Blondie in Spokane

Taking a dive: SeaWorld profits slump by 84 per cent following claims of animal cruelty

Aquatic theme parks are still suffering from 2013 documentary Blackfish

The movie claimed company's mistreatment of orcas led to their violent behaviour and the deaths of three people

But SeaWorld said attendance - and share prices - are starting to pick up

It blamed tough competition, heavy rain and late Spring Breaks for the drop

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-Breaks-bad-weather-shares-inch-higher.html

12. Blondie in Spokane

'The cops are just going to have to wait a while': Jackass star Steve-O live streams reckless 'SeaWorld sucks' stunt atop 100ft LA crane and taunts helpless Hollywood police below

Jackass star mounted structure on Sunset Boulevard, and shared footage

Thousands of fans watched as he crawled along with 100ft deadly drop

Appeared to plan to inflate plastic Shammu branded 'SeaWorld sucks'

Emergency vehicles swarmed round him as the stunt progressed

According to local media reports, Steve-O was arrested after the stunt

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ess-Hollywood-police-below.html#ixzz3iOU6ddS0

13. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Was this bill passed? Because I was at Marine World (different chain than Sea World) in Vallejo, CA in June, and there no longer was a killer whale show there. They moved the Dolphin show to the former Killer Whale theater...

14. LinasK

BBM. I agree with these things, even if it's turned unpopular on this thread. I don't want to see SeaWorld sabotaged and ruined because they do do alot for marine mammal protection.:truce:

15. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

They do a lot of good for some animals and they also do horrible things to others.

Rescuing, rehabilitating, and releasing (when possible) injured animals is a great thing. But that does not negate nor excuse what they have done and are continuing to do to Orcas, dolphins, belugas...

I can't do charity work and help some children while I keep other children in my bath tub for 30 years, making them do tricks for cookies and still be a good person.

JMO

16. LinasK

Playful orcas visit dog in a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ encounter off Washington
    August 12, 2015 by Pete Thomas

Kate and Jaycee Butler on Sunday enjoyed a magical encounter with endangered Southern Resident killer whales, especially an adult female who turned upside down to inspect the boaters, and even flipped water onto them with her fluke.
    But the real connection appears to have been with the Butlers’ dog, a yellow lab named Sailor, who wagged his tail and seemed as intrigued by this strange beast in his midst as the orca seemed by his presence at the bow of the Butlers’ 22-foot boat.

Read more at http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/pla...encounter-off-washington/#KL4EBcgQIWVWaFWa.99

17. Sulamith

Sulamith Well-Known Member

I could not get the grindtv link to work for me. Is it just me?

18. seattlechiquita

seattlechiquita Well-Known Member

OMG I watched that video and almost cried. They are such majestic, wonderful beings. They do not belong in a @$@% bathtub.

Sulamith, you can also catch in at thedodo:

https://www.thedodo.com/wild-orcas-footage-happy-1293103546.html

19. Xara

Xara Active Member

20. jon_burrows

jon_burrows New Member