FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

This is an excellent documentary on killer whales for those that are interested called "Call of the Killer Whales" by Jean-Michel Cousteau shown on PBS and now available for viewing on their site. I believe it was made in 2007-2008. It also includes the story of Keiko and his release into the wild.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1099394282/feature/91

Tillikum, sometimes spelled Tilikum, was about 2 years old when captured in Nov. 1983 near Iceland. He is believed to be the largest orca in captivity, weighing in at 12,300 pounds and measures about 22.5 feet. He is now around 29 or 30 years old and has sired 13 offspring. There are a total of 42 orcas in captivity with only 13 of those having been born in the wild. There are only around 100,000 orcas left in the wild. SeaWorld has 20 of the 42 orcas in captivity. Reference source:http://www.orcahome.de/orcastat.htm

Here is some information on the other attacks attributed to Tilikum.

snipped from: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/whales/debate/trainers.html

On February 20, 1991, University of Victoria marine biology student and part-time trainer Keltie Byrne, 20, slipped and fell into the orca pool at Sealand of the Pacific. She had just finished a show with the three orcas. Since Sealand trainers stay out of the water, she was not wearing a wetsuit. One whale took her in its mouth and began dragging her around the pool, mostly underwater. A champion swimmer who had competed at the international level, she was no match for three huge orcas determined to keep her in the pool. At one point she reached the side and tried to climb out but, as horrified visitors watched from the sidelines, the whales pulled her screaming back into the pool.

"I just heard her scream my name," said trainer Karen McGee, 25, and then I saw she was in the pool with the whales. "I threw the life-ring out to her. She was trying to grab the ring, but the whale, basically, wouldn't let her. To them it was a play session, and she was in the water." McGee and other Sealand staff tried to distract the whales by throwing them fish, banging on the water with steel buckets and giving them hand and voice commands. Nothing worked. Byrne came up screaming one more time and then, as the whale swam round and round the pool with Byrne in its mouth, she finally drowned. It was several hours before her body could be recovered.

She had ten tooth marks on her body, the largest on her left thigh, but was otherwise untouched. The whales had stripped her clothes off. "It was just a tragic accident," Sealand manager Alejandro Bolz told newspaper reporters. "I just cannot explain it."

snipped from: http://www.kitv.com/news/22660616/detail.html

Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.

Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the nude body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.

I think one of the things we have to remember is that Killer Whales are animals with a great deal of intelligence but just how intelligent are they? Are they aware of their size in relationship to humans? Are they aware that humans are incapable of holding their breath for the same length of time that they are? Are they aware that humans cannot survive in the 55 degree water that they live in every day? I think the answer to all of these is NO!

I think the idea that any of these attacks were "premeditated" as I heard one so called expert say is absurd. Just as in the present case of Dawn Brancheau I personally do not believe that any of these attacks were done maliciously. IMO, all of these incidences were just tragic accidents as the result of the whale attempting "to play" with the person, or in Dawns case his favorite trainer, not realizing that the "play" would result in their deaths. I think to label Tilikum as a "killer" is wrong!!

Dawn died doing what she loved best and was fully aware and accepting of the risks associated with her profession. This was just a tragic accident IMO and not the fault of a crazed "killer".http://www.orcahome.de/orcastat.htm

I agree with you, Melly53 -- I don't believe what happened was malicious or premeditated. I believe the whale saw her hair/ponytail and grabbed it to play. Chances are Tillkum is bored and sensory-deprived. He was doing what he would normally do and did not even realize the danger. It is unfortunate that he was attracted to her hair and grabbed at it.

I agree with you, Melly53 -- I don't believe what happened was malicious or premeditated. I believe the whale saw her hair/ponytail and grabbed it to play. Chances are Tillkum is bored and sensory-deprived. He was doing what he would normally do and did not even realize the danger. It is unfortunate that he was attracted to her hair and grabbed at it.

I agree. Is it possible he was "playing" and her long hair became entangled in the whales teeth so she could not get free to swim away? Just wondering since their teeth look sharp and pointy and like hair could easily get stuck around them. I wish they would at least try to see if the whale could be returned to the wild. If they showed they at least tried and were unsuccessful, then we could accept them keeping him.

I agree. Is it possible he was "playing" and her long hair became entangled in the whales teeth so she could not get free to swim away? Just wondering since their teeth look sharp and pointy and like hair could easily get stuck around them. I wish they would at least try to see if the whale could be returned to the wild. If they showed they at least tried and were unsuccessful, then we could accept them keeping him.

This lady is the third person who ended up dead after coming in contact with this whale.
If this were a dog, I am pretty sure it'd be put to sleep after #1 or#2.

She is the third person who ended up dead.
There was a dead guy found on his back. There was another trainer killed by him with two other whales. This lady is #3.
So, I would think it should be clear this whale is a dangerous animal, and I am amazed the sea world insists on keeping him.

This is an excellent documentary on killer whales for those that are interested called "Call of the Killer Whales" by Jean-Michel Cousteau shown on PBS and now available for viewing on their site. I believe it was made in 2007-2008. It also includes the story of Keiko and his release into the wild.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1099394282/feature/91

Tillikum, sometimes spelled Tilikum, was about 2 years old when captured in Nov. 1983 near Iceland. He is believed to be the largest orca in captivity, weighing in at 12,300 pounds and measures about 22.5 feet. He is now around 29 or 30 years old and has sired 13 offspring. There are a total of 42 orcas in captivity with only 13 of those having been born in the wild. There are only around 100,000 orcas left in the wild. SeaWorld has 20 of the 42 orcas in captivity. Reference source:http://www.orcahome.de/orcastat.htm

Here is some information on the other attacks attributed to Tilikum.

snipped from: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/whales/debate/trainers.html

On February 20, 1991, University of Victoria marine biology student and part-time trainer Keltie Byrne, 20, slipped and fell into the orca pool at Sealand of the Pacific. She had just finished a show with the three orcas. Since Sealand trainers stay out of the water, she was not wearing a wetsuit. One whale took her in its mouth and began dragging her around the pool, mostly underwater. A champion swimmer who had competed at the international level, she was no match for three huge orcas determined to keep her in the pool. At one point she reached the side and tried to climb out but, as horrified visitors watched from the sidelines, the whales pulled her screaming back into the pool.

"I just heard her scream my name," said trainer Karen McGee, 25, and then I saw she was in the pool with the whales. "I threw the life-ring out to her. She was trying to grab the ring, but the whale, basically, wouldn't let her. To them it was a play session, and she was in the water." McGee and other Sealand staff tried to distract the whales by throwing them fish, banging on the water with steel buckets and giving them hand and voice commands. Nothing worked. Byrne came up screaming one more time and then, as the whale swam round and round the pool with Byrne in its mouth, she finally drowned. It was several hours before her body could be recovered.

She had ten tooth marks on her body, the largest on her left thigh, but was otherwise untouched. The whales had stripped her clothes off. "It was just a tragic accident," Sealand manager Alejandro Bolz told newspaper reporters. "I just cannot explain it."

snipped from: http://www.kitv.com/news/22660616/detail.html

Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.

Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the nude body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.

I think one of the things we have to remember is that Killer Whales are animals with a great deal of intelligence but just how intelligent are they? Are they aware of their size in relationship to humans? Are they aware that humans are incapable of holding their breath for the same length of time that they are? Are they aware that humans cannot survive in the 55 degree water that they live in every day? I think the answer to all of these is NO!

I think the idea that any of these attacks were "premeditated" as I heard one so called expert say is absurd. Just as in the present case of Dawn Brancheau I personally do not believe that any of these attacks were done maliciously. IMO, all of these incidences were just tragic accidents as the result of the whale attempting "to play" with the person, or in Dawns case his favorite trainer, not realizing that the "play" would result in their deaths. I think to label Tilikum as a "killer" is wrong!!

Dawn died doing what she loved best and was fully aware and accepting of the risks associated with her profession. This was just a tragic accident IMO and not the fault of a crazed "killer".http://www.orcahome.de/orcastat.htm

Why exactly is it absurd? Whales are very smart animals, their intelligence levels might be similar to that of people.
Is it really out of the question that this whale doesn't like people very much?
Regardless, one would think that after dead person #3, people should figure out he really is a very dangerous animal and should not be allowed to be in contact with people.

There was a dead guy found on his back. There was another trainer killed by him with two other whales. This lady is #3.
So, I would think it should be clear this whale is a dangerous animal, and I am amazed the sea world insists on keeping him.

I know, and to think they want to keep him in the show! That astounds me. It's too late now to free Tillikum, but he shouldn't be in any lives shows. Keep him in his pen until he dies -- kinda like a retirement home.

I know, and to think they want to keep him in the show! That astounds me. It's too late now to free Tillikum, but he shouldn't be in any lives shoes. Keep him in his pen until he dies -- kinda like a retirement home.
The other female trainer was the first death, you'd think they would've kept him out of shows then. Fine, keep him as a stud, but out of public safety.
What do they do with Elephants and other animals who kill their trainers? Anybody know?

The other female trainer was the first death, you'd think they would've kept him out of shows then. Fine, keep him as a stud, but out of public safety.
What do they do with Elephants and other animals who kill their trainers? Anybody know?

And if the female trainer wasn't enough, a dead guy found on his back should have given them a clue.
Why are they still insisting on keeping him?
I realize he is very valuable to them, but aren't three dead people enough? I am not sure that he couldn't be set free, he was born as a wild animal.
Why wouldn't they let him go after this?

August 20, 1994: In Honolulu, Hawaii, during a Circus International performance, the elephant Tyke crushed her trainer, Allen Campbell, to death before hundreds of horrified spectators at the Neal Blaisdell arena. During the
episode, Tyke mauled a groom Dallas Beckwith, who suffered serious injuries. After killing Campbell and injuring Beckwith, Tyke bolted from the arena and raged through the downtown area for half an hour. Police fired 86 shots in
their pursuit of Tyke; she eventually collapsed from her wounds. Finally, she was given a lethal injection to kill her. When that didn't work, police fired three more shots to end her life. Tyke had gone on two similar rampages in 1993 in Pennsylvania and in North Dakota.

Here's an interesting link. More often than not, nasty elephants are sold to other co's.

http://www.pawsweb.org/incidents.pdf

There was a dead guy found on his back.

Which is NOONES fault but the guy who SNUCK in after hours, to swim with the whales. It is NOT the whales fault, nor is it sea worlds fault

And the first person that ended up dead, they could not narrow it down to which whale it was, because it was actually 3 whales that were involved.

Which is NOONES fault but the guy who SNUCK in after hours, to swim with the whales. It is NOT the whales fault, nor is it sea worlds fault

And the first person that ended up dead, they could not narrow it down to which whale it was, because it was actually 3 whales that were involved.

Well, there is no doubt who killed this lady, is there? And you don't know that the guy was trying to swim with the whales either. He could have been pulled in just like this lady was.

They do know that this particular whale was involved in the first trainer's death, and I'll bet if I go back through the articles, we'll discover that he was the whale that pulled her down. There was a fellow trainer who was a helpless witness. They tried to distract the whales with fish and such, and they wouldn't listen at all!

They do know that this particular whale was involved in the first trainer's death, and I'll bet if I go back through the articles, we'll discover that he was the whale that pulled her down. There was a fellow trainer who was a helpless witness. They tried to distract the whales with fish and such, and they wouldn't listen at all!

Yeah, stupid Orca!! How dare he be so careless to get ripped from his natural habitat by humans and then act out after years in captivity!! What nerve! :rolleyes:

It's not the Orca's fault. It's the fault of greedy, thoughtless and, IMO, stupid humans. I am against humans being kidnapped and held captive and I feel exactly the same about animals. I don't blame the animals when they act out, I blame their captors.

Well, there is no doubt who killed this lady, is there? And you don't know that the guy was trying to swim with the whales either. He could have been pulled in just like this lady was.

Some how I find that hard to believe that it was intentional on the whales part because the mans dry clothes were found on the pool deck. I find it hard to believe that the whale neatly removed his clothes and placed them on the deck. That leaves the impression that he removed the clothes himself with the intention of swimming with the orca. The orca did not kill him but hypothermia did so how is that the whales fault?.

Yeah, stupid Orca!! How dare he be so careless to get ripped from his natural habitat by humans and then act out after years in captivity!! What nerve! :rolleyes:

It's not the Orca's fault. It's the fault of greedy, thoughtless and, IMO, stupid humans. I am against humans being kidnapped and held captive and I feel exactly the same about animals. I don't blame the animals when they act out, I blame their captors.

Amen Tizzle - Amen!

next we'll see trainers all bald as a coot :(

He had NO business being in there in the first place!!!!! Thats just like the guy climbing into the lions den on christmas eve!! They had no business being in there!! It was after hours, Seaworld was closed!!!! People need to start taking responsibility, rather then blame the whales!!

And it was reported that the guy entered after hours and wanted to swim with the whales. It was on the news today. He had no business being in there!

He had NO business being in there in the first place!!!!! Thats just like the guy climbing into the lions den on christmas eve!! They had no business being in there!! It was after hours, Seaworld was closed!!!! People need to start taking responsibility, rather then blame the whales!!

And it was reported that the guy entered after hours and wanted to swim with the whales. It was on the news today. He had no business being in there!
I totally agree. All the deaths are tragic but I am really having trouble blaming Tillie for this one. If I jumped into a pool of whales with no training on how to deal with these animals, I would expect to be killed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back