FL FL - Debora Lowe, 13, Pompano Beach, 29 Feb 1972

Has anyone checked out this entry:

295UFFL

She was found three years after Debora went missing, and was found with a ring that is nearly identical to the one described on the NAMUS site. I emailed NAMUS but it might be worth the family checking in on this.

Also, NAMUS has an unclaimed entry for a Debora Lynn Lowe who passed in Michigan in 1999.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Debora Sue Lowe
Missing since February 29, 1972 from Pompano Beach, Broward County, Florida
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: September 19, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown long, straight hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: A small scar on her left leg
Clothing: A yellow blouse, black pants with vertical rose stripes and a tan poncho.
Dentals: A chipped front tooth; Crowded upper teeth.
AKA: Debbie

Circumstances of Disappearance
Lowe was last seen walking to Rickards Middle School in Pompano Beach, FL. Her parents called the police when she failed to come home from school.

The family was new to South Florida. They had just moved down from West Virginia. Gerard Schaefer, one of South Florida's most brutal serial killers has been named as a suspect. Schaefer, a one-time Martin County police deputy, had been linked to the deaths of 20 or more girls and young women between 1969 and 1972, including at least two other girls from Pompano Beach. His victims ranged in age from 9 to 25.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Broward County Sheriff's Office 954-493-8477 Or

Pompano Beach Police Department 954-786-4200

Agency Case Number: 72-203684
NCIC Number: M-653207855
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
The Miami Herald
The Doe Network: Case File 1673DFFL

Link:

Has anyone checked out this entry:

295UFFL

She was found three years after Debora went missing, and was found with a ring that is nearly identical to the one described on the NAMUS site. I emailed NAMUS but it might be worth the family checking in on this.

Also, NAMUS has an unclaimed entry for a Debora Lynn Lowe who passed in Michigan in 1999.

Did you receive any answer? I don't know if that design was very common, however, but I think it's a likely match.
Broward County Jane Doe (1975)
Parabon Nanolabs are working on her case... I hope they discover her true identity soon. Her teeth seem to be very different from Debbie's.

I appreciate you thoughts, I appreciate your analysis and suggestions. Schaefer victims had little in common. They varied in age, he had no preference to hair color, or skin tone. He preferred runaways, and would use his patrol car to often abduct his victims under the disguise of arresting them for hitchhiking. Not always:
A better case exists for Schaefer's involvement in the murders of 9-year-old Peggy Rahn and 8-year-old Wendy Stevenson, in Pompano Beach. Both vanished from the beach on December 29, 1970. A day later, a clerk at a nearby convenience store reported a man buying ice cream for two young girls on the previous afternoon. The clerk identified photos of Peggy and Wendy, describing their companion as a white man in his 20s, six feet tall, around 200 pounds. The girls remain missing and Schaefer was never charged, though prosecutors publicly accused him of the crime in 1973. Schaefer denied the slayings publicly, but later confessed in a letter dated April 19, 1989. "I am annoyed by all this murder talk," he wrote. "Peggy & Wendy just happened along at a time when I was curious about [1930s cannibal Albert] Fish's craving for the flesh of young girls....I assure you these girls were not molested sexually. I found both of them very satisfactory, particularly with sautéed onions and peppers."
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/gerard_schaefer/6.html
21-year-old Nancy Leichner and 20-year-old Pamela Nater, are Pinellas County residents who vanished on a 1966 picnic in the Ocala National Forest. The case remains unsolved and both women are still missing. The forest has been searched, and searched, using many methods and not a trace, anywhere, after they were saw walking into the forest with Schaefer. He left the park alone.

Of the victims located to date, Susan Place and Georgia Jessup were found on Hutchinson Island in St. Lucie County, (1973) They were buried under a the tree he had hung them from.

Less than four weeks after Place and Jessup vanished, on October 23, 14-year-olds Mary Alice Briscolina and Elsie Lina Farmer were added to the missing list. Farmer's family reported her missing on October 24, while Briscolina's waited another week, assuming she had run away from home. Farmer's skeletal remains were found on January 17, 1973 (eight days after Schaefer went to jail), at a construction site near Plantation High School. Briscolina was found on February 15, 200 yards away. (Both girls were identified by dental records.) Following the April search of Doris Schaefer's home, Farmer's relatives identified a piece of jewelry taken from the murdered girl.

Leigh Hainline Bonadies. Bonadies was last seen on September 8, 1969 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Gerard John Schaefer was
named as the prime suspect in Bonadies' disappearance when authorities found her gold locket in
Schaefer's possession at the time of his arrest in the 1970's. Schaefer was never charged in
connection with Bonadies' case. Bonadies' remains were found in the subdivision of Boca Del Mar
which was under construction at the time in Boca Raton, FL in January 1978. She was positively
identified in 2004.

19-year-old Iowa residents Collette Goodenough and
Barbara Ann Wilcox left Biloxi, Mississippi, hitchhiking to Florida. No trace of either girl was seen
until April, when searchers found evidence of their fate in Schaefer’s stash. Among the items retrieved
were Barbara’s driver’s license, along with Collette’s passport, diary and a book of poems. Skeletal
remains of both victims were found at Port Saint Lucie in January 1977, but no cause of death could
be found and no charges were ever filed.

I believe the total is 7 found. Seven of the 80-100 plus that he bragged of torturing and killing. There is no accurate count of Scahefer victims. He traveled overseas and often bragged he had left victims there also. He lied as often as he spoke the truth. LE experts, as well as many other types of experts who have studied his case agree on few things, they do all agree he was pure evil. A sadistic monster who had no conscious. He took joy in the families he left behind, waiting and wondering. It gave him pleasure in knowing we were trapped in a hell of his making.

We take comfort in knowing, Deb is on the other side now. Nobody gets to hurt her again. He had no set burial ground for his victims. He had no specific area. There were items taken from victims in his mothers home, that still have not been identified as to who they belonged to.

So we wait, and we pray....maybe the next group of people who examine this monster will find a pattern, will be able to give us a clue. Maybe someone doing construction will happen upon her, or maybe someone already has and she is in one of the many graves marked unknown that Florida refuses to exhume.

To ease my mind, I do what I do. I try to find those long missing, give names to those not identified. it brings to me a sense of peace, and I pray if my sister has been found....there is someone out there doing the same for her.

Are we sure he left the park alone? Perhaps he somehow tricked the girls to coming close to his car where he then pulled a gun on them. Lechner's brother states that the search was not thorough at all.

I appreciate you thoughts, I appreciate your analysis and suggestions. Schaefer victims had little in common. They varied in age, he had no preference to hair color, or skin tone. He preferred runaways, and would use his patrol car to often abduct his victims under the disguise of arresting them for hitchhiking. Not always:
A better case exists for Schaefer's involvement in the murders of 9-year-old Peggy Rahn and 8-year-old Wendy Stevenson, in Pompano Beach. Both vanished from the beach on December 29, 1970. A day later, a clerk at a nearby convenience store reported a man buying ice cream for two young girls on the previous afternoon. The clerk identified photos of Peggy and Wendy, describing their companion as a white man in his 20s, six feet tall, around 200 pounds. The girls remain missing and Schaefer was never charged, though prosecutors publicly accused him of the crime in 1973. Schaefer denied the slayings publicly, but later confessed in a letter dated April 19, 1989. "I am annoyed by all this murder talk," he wrote. "Peggy & Wendy just happened along at a time when I was curious about [1930s cannibal Albert] Fish's craving for the flesh of young girls....I assure you these girls were not molested sexually. I found both of them very satisfactory, particularly with sautéed onions and peppers."
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/gerard_schaefer/6.html
21-year-old Nancy Leichner and 20-year-old Pamela Nater, are Pinellas County residents who vanished on a 1966 picnic in the Ocala National Forest. The case remains unsolved and both women are still missing. The forest has been searched, and searched, using many methods and not a trace, anywhere, after they were saw walking into the forest with Schaefer. He left the park alone.

Of the victims located to date, Susan Place and Georgia Jessup were found on Hutchinson Island in St. Lucie County, (1973) They were buried under a the tree he had hung them from.

Less than four weeks after Place and Jessup vanished, on October 23, 14-year-olds Mary Alice Briscolina and Elsie Lina Farmer were added to the missing list. Farmer's family reported her missing on October 24, while Briscolina's waited another week, assuming she had run away from home. Farmer's skeletal remains were found on January 17, 1973 (eight days after Schaefer went to jail), at a construction site near Plantation High School. Briscolina was found on February 15, 200 yards away. (Both girls were identified by dental records.) Following the April search of Doris Schaefer's home, Farmer's relatives identified a piece of jewelry taken from the murdered girl.

Leigh Hainline Bonadies. Bonadies was last seen on September 8, 1969 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Gerard John Schaefer was
named as the prime suspect in Bonadies' disappearance when authorities found her gold locket in
Schaefer's possession at the time of his arrest in the 1970's. Schaefer was never charged in
connection with Bonadies' case. Bonadies' remains were found in the subdivision of Boca Del Mar
which was under construction at the time in Boca Raton, FL in January 1978. She was positively
identified in 2004.

19-year-old Iowa residents Collette Goodenough and
Barbara Ann Wilcox left Biloxi, Mississippi, hitchhiking to Florida. No trace of either girl was seen
until April, when searchers found evidence of their fate in Schaefer’s stash. Among the items retrieved
were Barbara’s driver’s license, along with Collette’s passport, diary and a book of poems. Skeletal
remains of both victims were found at Port Saint Lucie in January 1977, but no cause of death could
be found and no charges were ever filed.

I believe the total is 7 found. Seven of the 80-100 plus that he bragged of torturing and killing. There is no accurate count of Scahefer victims. He traveled overseas and often bragged he had left victims there also. He lied as often as he spoke the truth. LE experts, as well as many other types of experts who have studied his case agree on few things, they do all agree he was pure evil. A sadistic monster who had no conscious. He took joy in the families he left behind, waiting and wondering. It gave him pleasure in knowing we were trapped in a hell of his making.

We take comfort in knowing, Deb is on the other side now. Nobody gets to hurt her again. He had no set burial ground for his victims. He had no specific area. There were items taken from victims in his mothers home, that still have not been identified as to who they belonged to.

So we wait, and we pray....maybe the next group of people who examine this monster will find a pattern, will be able to give us a clue. Maybe someone doing construction will happen upon her, or maybe someone already has and she is in one of the many graves marked unknown that Florida refuses to exhume.

To ease my mind, I do what I do. I try to find those long missing, give names to those not identified. it brings to me a sense of peace, and I pray if my sister has been found....there is someone out there doing the same for her.

Many feel Nater and Lechner were his first victims. I have many questions about this crime. Schaffer was living in Ft. Lauderdale at the time. What brought him to the Ocala National Forest in the first place? Why that park? Was he into scuba diving and just came there to dive, and ended up killing his first victims on a whim? With subsequent killings, he knew the area, planning and mapping out the kill spot in advance. But it seems he would not have known the 1966 Ocala National Forest so intimately. The Florida Trail hadn't even been constructed yet and it was very remote. So, this being his first kill, it seems he would have wanted to do the job in a hurry. So did he drive down the first forest trail he came to off the main road? How far back into the woods did he march those girls? Did he really have time to bury them? I feel their remains have been hiding in plain sight all along.

Last edited:

Debora Sue Lowe, 13

Vital Statistics
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown long, straight hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: A yellow blouse, black pants with vertical rose stripes and a tan poncho.

Lowe was last seen walking to Rickards Middle School in Pompano Beach, FL. Her parents called the police when she failed to come home from school. The family was new to South Florida. They had just moved down from West Virginia. Gerard Schaefer, one of South Florida's most brutal serial killers has been named as a suspect. Schaefer, a one-time Martin County police deputy, had been linked to the deaths of 20 or more girls and young women between 1969 and 1972, including at least two other girls from Pompano Beach. His victims ranged in age from 9 to 25.

Investigators

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Miami Herald

Link:
NAMUS UP3980 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System

Debora has been missing for 50 years this month.

Thanks for remembering.

I was going to come here to post but have been so busy packing up my 2 story house with full basement to sell it. Can't believe I missed posting for Deb's 50th missing anniversary.

We hope to find you one day Deb, sooner, rather than later.

So many cases near and dear to my heart have been resolved, 2 that should be but have not are Deb and Eric Franks. It's time that Debs remains are found to be brought home and buried with her parents and that Eric’s killer gets brought in by LE. There isn't any other suspect alive. It's possible to get a conviction without a body, look at Kelsie Schilling case.

Big hugs to my friend and partner SSA. We're coming up on 10 years working cases together.

Thank you Roselvr, there are times I don't think I could have gotten through that day without you to talk to. Between this anniversary and losing one of my brothers last year, I was more than a little overwhelmed with grief.
Sissy, I know it seems to be taking us forever to find you but we're still trying every day. Please don't give up on us because we will never give up on you. Davie is in heaven now, so at last, he is at peace and he is with you. Losing him was so very hard. I pray daily that one of you will find a way to send us a sign showing us where you are. We know you can't, but still, we hope. We love you so very much and want so badly to bring you home.

I'm sorry, I was certain I replied to you the other day when I was here but I apparently didn't hit the post.
This case is actually considered closed other than finding the remains of the women. This is one of the cases Schaefer confessed to after he was in prison. These girls parents wanted to know where their children were. They were desperate for answers and did everything in their power to try to find them.
Nater family 20 year interview

I hope these articles will give you some of the information you were wanting to know.
The one thing I know for sure is that they didn't just give up.

Interview in 2007 by a member of LE
There are several articles about this case and several videos on youtube.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I was certain I replied to you the other day when I was here but I apparently didn't hit the post.
This case is actually considered closed other than finding the remains of the women. This is one of the cases Schaefer confessed to after he was in prison. These girls parents wanted to know where their children were. They were desperate for answers and did everything in their power to try to find them.
Nater family 20 year interview

I hope these articles will give you some of the information you were wanting to know.
The one thing I know for sure is that they didn't just give up.

Interview in 2007 by a member of LE
There are several articles about this case and several videos on youtube.
so very heartbreaking for these families.

Does anyone know the rules/laws about a victim’s family being able to access physical evidence? I’m very disturbed to read that the Lowe family has never been allowed to see the trove of “souvenirs” that Schaefer kept at his mother’s house. One can understand if law enforcement was protecting evidence seized in an ongoing, active investigation but the family member here has said her sister’s case, though unsolved, is effectively closed. This has been weighing heavy on my heart, especially to read how dismissive and unsympathetic LE has been toward this family who has suffered so much.

Last edited:

It is very possible that she was a victim of Ted bundy.Age was never a problem for bundy.
There was never a total count of his victims. They suspect it to be quiet high.

Does anyone know the rules/laws about a victim’s family being able to access physical evidence? I’m very disturbed to read that the Lowe family has never been allowed to see the trove of “souvenirs” that Schaefer kept at his mother’s house. One can understand if law enforcement was protecting evidence seized in an ongoing, active investigation but the family member here has said her sister’s case, though unsolved, is effectively closed. This has been weighing heavy on my heart, especially to read how dismissive and unsympathetic LE has been toward this family who has suffered so much.
I'm sorry but it takes me longer to reply these days. No, we've never actually seen the things that were removed from Schaefer's home. All we have seen are photos are some of the items and the photos make it very difficult to actually examine them. Having said that I also must point out that most of the items have been lost or misplaced over the years so even if we took this case to court and won the right to see them, I doubt it would be of any help to us.
No, I didn't forget about Deb's birthday, but she has Dave there with her now so I know she isn't alone for it. She's had Mom and Dad for many years, but parents aren't the same as siblings. Now she has the brother she was closest in age to.....I love and miss you both so terribly.

645E4D99-F0AF-49ED-8B57-DC309C07AC67.jpegHas anyone checked out this entry:

295UFFL

Debora Sue Lowe, 13

Vital Statistics

Lowe was last seen walking to Rickards Middle School in Pompano Beach, FL. Her parents called the police when she failed to come home from school. The family was new to South Florida. They had just moved down from West Virginia. Gerard Schaefer, one of South Florida's most brutal serial killers has been named as a suspect. Schaefer, a one-time Martin County police deputy, had been linked to the deaths of 20 or more girls and young women between 1969 and 1972, including at least two other girls from Pompano Beach. His victims ranged in age from 9 to 25.

Investigators

Source Information:
The Miami Herald

Link:
NAMUS UP3980 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System
Gerard Schaefer having been a cop and being one of Florida’s most brutal serial killers would know where to hide a body.With that being said, IMO
I believe that if he was the perpetrator he would have taken her to the back of an orange orchard
Killing her then burying her there.

Debora's NamUs profile was modified today, 10/17/22
Continued to prayers to her sister an family. I hope one day they get answers.
She currently has 21 rule outs
UP61522
01/01/1991
Hillsborough
FL

UP16314
06/16/1974
Palm Beach
FL

UP9302
12/23/1975
Broward