FL FL - Detra McGuire, 23, Lake City, 2 Nov 1988

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by JasonFutchLakeCityFL, Nov 9, 2017.

1. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

This just kept running thru my head......

So if Detra was considering booting the boyfriend out due to lack of financial contribution, how in the heck did he afford a brand new car??? Had he even made the first payment??

1988 black Nissan Sentra - the car to belong to Elara Murphy, Detra's boyfriend

Bit of hope likes this.

2. PayrollNerd

The 7 year old could have remembered DV, if she happened to be around when it occurred. Hmmm. I wonder if the little girl ever mentioned anything to anyone. Sometimes little kids talk and have no idea the clues they're giving out.

I wouldn't think the car would still be impounded after all these years. If the boyfriend was the owner, they'd eventually release it to him perhaps, maybe not. I wonder what ever happened to him and if he kept the car or was it repo'd.

Bit of hope likes this.
  3. PayrollNerd

I was thinking there might be DNA from the hands of whomever tossed the baby out of the vehicle. Floridians don't generally wear gloves in winter in my experience.

Could they determine from where the baby landed whether she was tossed out from the drivers side or passenger side? If the drivers side, it would seem like the person would have to be in the back seat, behind the driver. The person driving can't maintain control of the vehicle and toss an infant out the window.

Bit of hope likes this.
  4. LucyOso

LucyOso Verified Registered Nurse

Is it possible she threw the baby out of the window in attempts to save her? Get her away from danger?

5. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Sympathy for the less fortunate.

Same thing I wondered about for a longer time, in combination with the question if Detra could have thrown out the baby herself, so to say to save her baby from worse (still having a hard time imagine that was what happened) and if so where she would have been sitting in the car.

Is known if the baby was strapped into a child seat/baby carrier and if so where it was placed. (I don't know what the rules are in America for taking your child/baby in a car, in the Netherlands it's totally regulated)

6. Bit of hope

Very good question. Don't know what happened. I'm sure I replied with quote on the post about the new car.

shanda3434 likes this.
  7. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

JasonFutchLakeCityFL Well-Known Member

I am going to make an educated guess that most likely the car note was in Elara's name, but Detra was probably paying the expenses on it since Elara was seemingly in between jobs, though he was doing construction work at the time of Detra's disappearance. At least that's what I would think. She was probably also using the car to get to and from work as well. I know her mother had a vehicle, which was mentioned in the reports as one that was used to drive Elara and herself around when they were looking for Detra and Roshanda the next morning.

Bit of hope and PayrollNerd like this.
  8. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

According to a Florida Highway Patrol report that I have, which is also backed up by a supplemental report done by CCSO, Roshanda was located in the middle of the westbound section of Interstate 10. That tells me that she was likely thrown from the driver side and that the car was likely in the right lane. I spoke with former Columbia County Sheriff Bill Gootee, who was one of the FDLE agents investigating the case at the time. He informed me that a video exists of him and one other FDLE agent doing a reenactment of the crime, and when he showed it to the boyfriend, the boyfriend got pretty frosty.

9. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

There was no car seat found in the car.

10. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

So the 7-year-old was interviewed by Don Ugliano of FDLE in 2002 when the case was reopened by their agency. A very interesting discussion was made. The daughter said that when they arrived home so Shameka could get more clothes (assuming she was staying with her aunts that night), no one answered the door. The car was not there, and neither was the boyfriend. This was likely later in the evening too!

Doesn't this make you think even deeper??? Hehe

11. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

Digging a little deeper into the reports that I have, it appears that in 2002, the boyfriend told FDLE agent Ugliano that he allowed the finance company to take the car from him because he didn't have the money to keep the car after Detra disappeared.

12. americangirl5050

americangirl5050 New Member

Bit of hope likes this.
  13. Bit of hope

Hi and welcome @americangirl5050 Was FT ever a suspect, Person of Interest (POI) in this case, as far as you know? I ask, because of TOS it's not allowed to sleuth persons just like that on WS. What would/could have been his motive in your opinion?