FL - Dhimitri Andoni, 22, killed in hit-and-run after helping motorist, Pinellas County, 21 Sep 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Driver struck, killed Good Samaritan, then drove off in victim's car, authorities say

A 22-year-old Florida man who was helping another motorist Thursday night was killed after getting hit by a car whose driver allegedly then drove off in the deceased’s vehicle, authorities said.

Dhimitri Andoni, 22, of Clearwater, Fla., was driving on Interstate 275 when he noticed a fellow motorist in need of assistance, the Florida Highway Patrol said in a news release.

“Shortly after stopping, the motorist was able to depart the scene and Andoni walked back to his vehicle,” the news release said. “While walking back to his vehicle along the right side of the car and the roadway edge, Andoni was struck by a passing vehicle.”

The “passing vehicle” was allegedly driven by the suspect, Dana Thomas Byrd, 30, of St. Petersburg, authorities said.

Mugshot:
upload_2018-9-23_21-53-9.jpeg

This mugshot is from a 2013 arrest:
upload_2018-9-23_22-0-56.jpeg

Byrd stopped along the shoulder, approached Andoni and discovered he was deceased. Byrd then entered Andoni's vehicle and fled the scene of the crash.

FHP later found Byrd at his home in St. Pete and arrested him. He is charged with grand theft auto and leaving the scene of a crash involving a death.

Byrd was given a $105,000 bond following his first appearance in court Saturday.

Driver hits, kills man helping motorist, then steals his car and leaves the scene of the crash

FHP arrests suspect in fatal I-275 hit-and-run

Police: Florida Man Stole Victim's Car After Fatal Crash

St. Pete Man Accused in Fatal I-275 Crash

22 Year Old Killed After Stopping to Help a Driver — and the Suspect Steals His Car: Police

FHP: He stopped to help — then another driver killed him and stole his car

How terrible. I am glad that he was caught. I have a bit of difficulty why he was bonded out though, he is clearly a dangerous person.
How do you get hit by a car walking along the edge of the road?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back