FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

After reading up a little on this case, this wife's story about self-defense is hinky. I don't believe it's an accident that he is killed when he runs out of money!

I heart the mods here! A big thanks for moving this thread to the correct place - very much appreciated!

This case is absolutely and incredibly sad! And the wife? After she moved into Doug's house, she had some real difficulty with Doug's teenage daughter. According to CBS news, wife Ashley became extremely jealous and would complain that she had to share his attention - statements like "I just want him to pick me".

That whole business about the ballet company... Not cool at all! Those dancers were promised so much - and they got nothing. Awful for them... Oh, and Ashley ran off to mommy in Florida. I believe in love, but a 30-year age difference? A 14-day courtship?

And the daughter - Eva. Lost BOTH parents before she is 19. I was impressed with her in the 48-hours episode, but she has got to be hurting and soon she will have to deal with the trial.

ON THE DOCKET: BLACK SWAN MURDER TRIAL​

Former swimsuit model and ballerina Ashley Benefield is accused of killing her husband, Doug, after accusing him of trying to poison her and the couple's baby. A Stand Your Ground hearing is set for July and a trial is scheduled for October. (6/2/23)

May 1, 2023

BRADENTON, Fla. (Court TV) – A former ballerina is charged with second-degree murder for the death of her husband, with whom she owned a dancing company.

Ashley Benefield is accused of murdering her husband, Douglas Benefield, in her Florida bedroom on September 27, 2020.

In a criminal complaint, detectives with the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office said they received a 911 call from one of Benefield’s neighbors on the evening of the 27th, saying that Ashley had come over saying she had been attacked by her husband and shot him.

[...]

Detectives said that they determined four shots had been fired and found the casings of four .45 casings.

[...]

“Based on the entry wounds on Douglas it does not appear that he was facing Ashley when she began shooting. It also does not appear that Douglas had taken any kind of defensive or combative stance. After being shot Douglas fell to the ground and it appears that he may have struck his head on the wall on the way down.”

Detectives noted in the criminal complaint that Ashley had already retained an attorney before arriving at the police station for an interview, and when she arrived said that she did not wish to make a statement. A detective said she did make a spontaneous statement to him, “advising me that her ears were still ringing.”

[...]

Ashley and Douglas met in 2016, when Ashley was 24 and a former ballerina and swimsuit model, CBS News reported. The couple married just 13 days after they met.

Ashley is scheduled to appear in court for a stand-your-ground hearing on July 6, 2023.

Feb. 10, 2022

LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. (WWSB) - A tumultuous relationship ends in a shooting and the family of the victim is left with a lot of questions.

In 2020, after a rocky four-year marriage, Doug and Ashley Benefield had an argument in their Lakewood Ranch home. It ended when Doug was shot and killed.

As Ashley Benefield prepares to go on trial this summer for second-degree murder, family members and attorneys in the high-profile case are speaking to ABC7.

SEPTEMBER 2, 2021

On an unseasonably hot day in the fall of 2017, four dozen dancers descended on the small city of Charleston, South Carolina. Seasoned soloists from major companies as well as students fresh out of dance school, they were lucky members of the newly formed American National Ballet. Their new jobs, they believed, represented not only the fulfillment of their own dreams, but a revolution in the field of ballet.

ANB’s husband-and-wife founders, businessman Doug Benefield and Ashley, herself a former dancer, appeared to have deep pockets and a noble mission: to highlight racially diverse and physically unconventional dancers. Their first hire was Sara Michelle Murawski, a stunning five-foot-ten dancer who said she had lost her previous job because of her above-average height. “‘I want dancers who aren’t the cookie-cutter dancers,’” Ashley had told Murawski, who started crying and, when they hung up, thought, This is really what I want to do. At five nine, Ashley said that she had dealt with similar obstacles in her own career. Another recruit was then 20-year-old Hanna Manka, who had the opposite problem, and usually fudged her barely five feet on her résumé. The offer from the Benefields was a lifeline. As Manka recalls, “After working so hard and trying for so long, I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, all this work finally has paid off.’”

ANB pledged to redress not only height and size discrimination, but the notorious whiteness of classical ballet. Each new hire—at the behest of their new bosses—posted a photo on Instagram with a hashtag: #WeEmbraceDiversity or #ANBFamily. Christopher Charles McDaniel had spent years as the only Black dancer at Los Angeles Ballet before deciding to join ANB. “There was so much hope for what could happen with this new company,” he said.

Updated: 12:44 PM EDT September 8, 2021

On Sept. 27, 2020, Ashley Benefield shot and killed her husband Doug Benefield in her mother's home in the Central Park area in Manatee County, the sheriff's office said at the time.

[...]

According to deputies, she told them she shot him during an argument and he had attacked her. There weren't any signs she had been physically abused, detectives said.

[...]

They were the only two people in the house at the time of the shooting.

[...]

Investigators said the two had been separated and were in the middle of a custody battle over their daughter.

[...]

In November 2020, Ashley turned herself in at the Manatee County Jail and was charged with second-degree murder.

November 9, 2020

Doug was visiting Ashley at her mom's home when she fired multiple shots at him, officials said.

Ashley then ran to a neighbor's house for help, according to a police affidavit filed in court.

Responding deputies found Doug alive in a bedroom with two gunshot wounds, one in his leg and another in his chest, the bullet also grazed his right arm, the criminal complaint alleges. Two additional bullets were found embedded in the wall, along with four casings from a .45 caliber handgun.

Doug was transported to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Case: 2020CF003014AX
Filed: 11/04/2020
  • Type: Felony
  • Judge: STEPHEN MATHEW WHYTE
State Attorney Case: 20CF027412AM
  • Prosecuting Attorney: SUZANNE M O'DONNELL
  • Prosecutor NOA: 11/17/2020

DefendantASHLEY CHRISTINA BENEFIELD

Attorney: NEIL G TAYLOR

222 (224)06/02/2023NOTICE OF TAKING ZOOM DEPOSITIONS1
223 (225)06/02/2023STATE'S SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSE TO DEFENSE DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY2
224 (226)06/15/2023OMNIBUS MOTION IN LIMINE AND INCORPORATED MEMORANDUM OF LAW11
225 (227)06/16/2023STIPUALTION AND ORDER - THE DEFENDANT HAS RAISED A FACIALLY SUFFICIENT CLAIM OF ENTITLEMENT TO IMMUNITY UNDER CHAPTER 776, FLORIDA STATUTES, AND THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON THE STATE TO OVERCOME THE IMMUNITY BY CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE, PRETRIAL IMMUNITY HEARING ON DEFENDANT'S MOTION WILL BE HELD ON JULY 6TH AND 7TH, 2023, AT 8:30 A.M., BEFORE THE HONORABLE STEPHEN M. WHYTE. IN COURTROOM 6A, AT THE MANATEE COUNTY JUDICIAL CENTER, 1051 MANATEE AVENUE WEST, BRADENTON, FL 34205

24: 07/06/2023 at 08:30AM - JACS-OTHER MOTION

Room: COURTROOM 6-A
Judge: WHYTE, STEPHEN MATHEW

25: 07/07/2023 at 08:30AM - JACS-OTHER MOTION

26: 09/19/2023 at 09:00AM - DOCKET SOUNDING

27: 10/16/2023 at 08:30AM - JURY TRIAL

Last updated 10:17 AM, June 30, 2023

BRADENTON, Fla. (Court TV) – A former ballerina charged with second-degree murder for the death of her husband is arguing she acted in self-defense.

Ashley Benefield is accused of murdering Douglas Benefield in her Florida bedroom on September 27, 2020.

[..] Ashley is scheduled to appear in court for a two-day stand-your-ground hearing beginning July 6, 2023.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back