FL - Florida Woman Fights to Keep Her Pet Alligator Who Wears Clothes and 'Rides' ATV

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by los2188, Mar 18, 2016.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

2. Loading...

3. Kadoober

Kadoober McSassmouth

Oh, Florida. What would we do without you?

4. KaaBoom

KaaBoom `·.¸¸ ><((((º> ...·´`·.¸¸ ><((((º>...·

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Alcides.Segui/videos/1039027952834747/[/video]

5. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

I am thinking we may see this story on an episode of "Fatal Attraction",a show about people being killed by their exotic pets.

6. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

She had a permit for the alligator for years but now authorities changed the rules. Seems her alligator should be grandfathered in. No way it could survive in the wild after wearing clothes and living as a pet.

7. KaaBoom

This is a very complicated case. It’s difficult to understand why, they have let her have the permit to keep the animal for 10 years, and are only now changing the rules to require her to own 2.5 acres of land, without grandfathering her in. It seems discriminatory. She could keep the alligator, and do exactly what she is doing now, if she had 2.5 acres of land. But because she doesn’t have that much land, they are going to take her animal away from her. I think it's questionable weather this alligator would even benefit from 2.5 acres of land.

As for the owner. She seems to be doing a good job of taking care of the animal. It would be really easy to support her, if she wasn’t trying to kiss the alligator all the time. :eek: That just makes her look like a bit of a lunatic.

8. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

This particular alligator likely can't be outside at this point for long periods of time. Thus 2.5 acres of land is not gonna do him any good.

"A letter Thorn provided from Privileged Critters Animal Hospital in Lakeland says alligators raised in a filtered light environment develop this type of sensitivity and therefore shouldn't be "left outside for any length of time.""
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-florida-woman-pet-gator-20160314-story.html

9. sonjay

sonjay New Member

Pocho, the giant pet crocodile:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enjoys-giving-dangerous-companion-cuddle.html

I was sure that guy was going to be eaten by his pet. A 16-foot croc? Boy howdy. If you go find some videos showing this guy swimming with the croc, it's hard to believe he wasn't eaten.

But the croc died a few years ago without ever eating anyone. Apparently he really was a gentle croc.

10. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

'Can't believe I'm actually commenting on this news, but here I am... just my opinions.

What is it with humans attempting to domesticate wildlife? I understand attempting to heal the injured/ailing, but shouldn't this be done in a manner that allows them to return to their natural habitat (if at all possible)??

Love (and most importantly, respect) seems to be missing when they are dressed and treated like children.

I don't understand this "pet" croc story any more than I understand idiotic attempts to show prowess by kissing snakes.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...iss-Cottonmouth-Snake-Hospitalized-after-Bite

Maybe I don't know all the details, but I prefer this story of love and respect:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...%92-Dindim-swims-over-8000km-a-year-to-return

My opinions have no bearing on whether this woman is allowed to keep the croc she's had for years... just seems a shame there is now a big problem with the whole situation.

11. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Now I love all animals even ones I'm frightened of like snakes but taking a crocodile to bed with you seems a little out of the ordinary. If he grows bigger then I can understand there being rules that you must have enough land for him to move about. Has he developed this light sensitivity because he has been kept indoors as a pet much of his life? I don't know what the solution is here. It's bizarre to read about someone having a pet crocodile here in Scotland you are not allowed to keep any animal like that as a pet. They are talking about banning the import of animals here. My four pet fish came from Japan so it will affect me in the future if it comes into force.

12. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Or they might get married in a TLC channel special.

13. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

The only reason we now have pet animals is because once upon a time our ancestors were domesticating wild life.

14. Irisha

Irisha New Member

Kissing an alligator? Did she not see what happened to the idiot who kissed the snake?:rolleyes:

15. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

Our ancestors didn't do it by dressing them up and expecting them to be children. Very early on there was mutual benefit for both the animals and humans... hunting prey.

I question the need to continue. Again, it's out of respect and love.

16. KaaBoom

CENTRAL FLORIDA WOMAN FILES APPEAL TO KEEP HER GATOR, RAMBO