GUILTY FL - Fred Laster, 16, found dismembered, Lake City, 5 June 1994 *youth pastor arrest*

I just answered my own question - found the 2/25/21 notice that the case against Hyde (1st Degree Murder and the 25 counts of Possession of Photographs/Sexual Performance by a Child) is being prosecuted by ASA Mizrahi. https://www.sao4th.com/baer-hyde-indictments/
Mizrahi's the SAO's Homicide Division Director and has prosecuted homicide cases since 2000. Meet Melissa and Her Team - State Attorney Office For The Fourth Judicial Circuit

The next pretrial hearing for the case is tomorrow: 03/18/2021 9:00 AM

Last edited:
only a minor update posted on the Duval County Clerk of Court site from today's hearing. The defendant waived the reading of the 1st degree murder indictment, pled not guilty to it. Next pre-trial hearing date 04/20/2021 9:00 AM

only a minor update posted on the Duval County Clerk of Court site from today's hearing. The defendant waived the reading of the 1st degree murder indictment, pled not guilty to it. Next pre-trial hearing date 04/20/2021 9:00 AM
Update from the Duval County Clerk of Court site from the 4/20 hearing: trial date set for Monday 3/7/2022.
Next hearing date 07/13/2021.
"130PM 03/01/22 FPT & 03/07/22 JS": I think that FPT could be a "final pre-trial" hearing; JS is "jury selection". The attachment in the court records is a pre-trial order indicating the trial proceedings will begin 3/7/22 (jury selection). I've uploaded it here. RH's trial will begin 5 years to the day after his arrest on murder and child *advertiser censored* charges.

Attachments

• 17-CF-2246_STANDING_ORDER_GOVERNING_PRE-TRIAL_PROCEDURES.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
Child *advertiser censored* charges no longer part of cold case trial | firstcoastnews.com

A final hearing in the case is set for Friday March 25.

Jury selection begins March 28 and is expected to take a day. The trial is expected to last for the remainder of that week.

Trial of Ronnie Hyde in murder of Fred Laster | firstcoastnews.com

Jurors shown knives, stained mattress and photos of headless torso in first day of testimony in Ronnie Hyde murder trial.
Thank you for the disclaimer! I was unable to make it to the trial today but observed from the live feed. It was very shocking to see that the news allowed to air the photos of the body for the world to see. Usually they wouldn’t do that in Florida, especially considering Laster was a juvenile at the time of this homicide.

Hello everyone,

I would like to make my inaugural post here about an unidentified person whose remains (consisted of only a torso) was found at a BP Gas Station in along Hwy. 441 and Interstate 10 in Lake City, FL on June 5th, 1994. This is from the Columbia County (FL) Crime Stoppers page concerning the investigation:

"On June 5, 1994, a woman discovered the torso of a body on the back side of a dumpster located at the BP Gas Station on the north side of Interstate 10 and US 441 in Lake City, Florida.

Investigators with the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office were able to determine from smear and drag marks that the suspect had attempted to put black garbage bags, one of which contained the torso, into the dumpster but the torso slid out of the bag and left blood marks on the front of the dumpster. The suspect then dragged the torso over the asphalt to the back of the dumpster. The remaining garbage bags located in the dumpster contained an egg crate-type mattress that the suspect used to put down in a bath tub while he dismembered the victim and two Ginsu-type Tristar kitchen knives. There were also several green, flower shaped, nonskid, self-sticking pieces that were believed to have come from the bath tub where the victim was dismembered. Blood stained orange latex gloves were found in the dumpster.

The victim is described as a young white male, approximately 16-22 years of age, possibly older. The estimated height of the victim is between 5’5 to 5’11. The hair on the back of what was left of the neck was light brown, grown out about ¼”, bleached on the top. The body weight is estimated to be between 170 and 205 pounds. The only identifying mark on the torso was a mole located on the lower right chest. The blood type of the victim is type A, unknown whether positive or negative."

I have had theories on this case as well as others I have interviewed as part of a freelance project. This case has hit home to me being that this was a young individual who has yet to be identified but has alot of potential TO BE identified. I have also thought of this case as well, which I will link from Doe Network of a missing individual who went missing around this time. Since the discovery, only one comparison has been made and that was of a Gainesville boy, which came back negative. Here is the link and please help us with this as well as my local LE in Columbia County. Below is the link to Erik Patchin, a good match to the John Doe's description:

940DMFL - Erik Sol Patchin
This forum has certainly come a very long way from this very first post…what a relief it will be when this is over for good.

Thursday's testimony can be watched here (local news stream). Last portion is Hyde on the stand, questioned by the defense attorney.

Friday's testimony here. Cross-examination of Hyde is at the start of today's proceedings.

Before this thread is shut down, which I anticipate happening, just wanna thank the WS community for having a hand in this solve.

when I speak with Freddy‘s sister Daisey and brother Richard, they have always said that if it wasn’t for NCMEC and the WS thread on this case, Freddy would never have been identified. I’m glad to call the Laster family friends for life.

Thank you to everyone who engaged this thread over the years and making sure that the Lake City John Doe would never be forgotten. And because of that, Freddy has his name back; and most importantly, Hyde will never hurt another soul again.

God bless everyone, and RIP Fred Paul Laster!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back