FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what they're offering her instead of the Life sentence? Maybe 20 to 30 years? Her testimony is tainted. Whatever it is, they have to clear it by the Markels.
For sure it’s tainted but based on how this has gone I feel like she’s the only way the rest of the culpable parties will be brought to justice IMO. Gosh - this is such hopeful news! Thank you @yazoost and welcome to Websleuths!

Rivera is doing 19 years. I can see them telling her we can't give you any less than Rivera. With time served KM is looking at 13 years. Not a bad deal all things considered. Sweetheart deal for her if she can get it. There is some logic behind it. But Rivera talked right away. Didn't cost them two trials.

Rivera is doing 19 years. I can see them telling her we can't give you any less than Rivera. With time served KM is looking at 13 years. Not a bad deal all things considered. Sweetheart deal for her if she can get it. There is some logic behind it. But Rivera talked right away. Didn't cost them two trials.
LR is indeed doing 19 years but 12.5 of them are from a separate Federal racketeering charge.

There was a lawyer weighing in on this somewhere (here?) who said Katie could cooperate for a reduction in her sentence even after sentencing. It's really her only chance to not spend the rest of her life in prison-she rolled the dice for her verdict and lost, so maybe had this option in her back pocket. If I was Donna Adelson, I'd be very very afraid right now. Also Wendi.

I can see her spinning a story where she was afraid of Charlie, so didn't speak before (which is BS but I can see her spinning it). That he could harm her children or something. And that once he was incarcerated, she felt safe enough to tell the truth. BUT I don't think GC would take a deal just on Charlie as she has enough for conviction there. She's going after the whole shebang and I do believe Katie could corroborate things at least regarding Donna. We may be seeing an arrest later this month.

Dan Markel murder: Katherine Magbanua turns state witness in Charlie Adelson case

Convicted Dan Markel murderer Katherine Magbanua is being brought to Tallahassee from prison to give a statement to prosecutors who are seeking a conviction against Markel’s ex-brother-in-law next year.

Dan Markel murder: Katherine Magbanua turns state witness in Charlie Adelson case

Convicted Dan Markel murderer Katherine Magbanua is being brought to Tallahassee from prison to give a statement to prosecutors who are seeking a conviction against Markel’s ex-brother-in-law next year.

From the link:

Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman declined to comment on the order to transport Magbanua that was filed Wednesday in Leon County Circuit Court. Her Miami attorneys Chris DeCoste and Tara Kawass also declined to comment.

An order signed by Circuit Judge Robert Wheeler says Magbanua is to be transported on or before Nov. 28-30 to the State Attorney's Office for a proffer. The order indicates Magbanua, who's serving a life sentence in Marion County, will be housed as a state witness in the Leon County Jail.

"Upon completion of the proffer in this cause, the said defendant can be transported back to the Department of Corrections, Florida," Wheeler wrote in his order.

[..]

Details about what Magbanua could divulge about her involvement with Markel’s former brother-in-law Charlie Adelson and the suspected murder-for-hire plot that killed the acclaimed law professor are unknown.

Also unknown is what bearing testimony against Adelson could have on Magbanua's life sentence.

As happy as I was about this when I saw it earlier today, if I were Georgia, I would need a confirmed text, a recording, other corroboration etc. to believe anything that Katie says because the defense is going to be ready to pounce on 'Witness" Katie. I am sure she would bring the goods because it's obvious she doesn't intend to spend a lifetime behind bars while the Adelsons go on without a care - well, at least, free for as long as possible. I'm sure both Sigfredo and Charlie would love this opportunity to spill some beans as well. Sigfredo had to keep quiet because of Katie and has been fighting with his lawyer. Charlie is not gonna want to spend a lifetime without young girlfriends behind bars just for Wendella to continue having fun in Miami. So, there we are. Hopefully all these folks will give themselves up after Katie speaks so we don't have to bother about trials with over 5000 documents??

This is huge. For this to be happening means that there is a reasonably good understanding between counsel as to what the proffer will be. The prosecution has been completely in the drivers' seat since the conviction, and you can bet there have been a lot of hypotheticals going back and forth between counsel as they worked to figure out what it would take to satisfy the state before formally setting up the proffer. Florida law gives the state considerable room to accommodate cooperating witnesses but there would be no reason whatsoever to give Katie much without a clear understanding as to what she could give that would be useful.

Certainly, KM is a compromised witness and damaged goods when it comes to testifying. On the other hand, it is difficult to imagine that she doesn't have some significant corroboration (possibly her family, documents, or other records that are independent from her obvious perjury in prior appearances). I trust Georgia to drive a hard bargain after Katie's egregious failure to come clean. My guess is the State doesn't need much from her to make a clean and convincing case against Charlie so the possibility of providing sufficient evidence to indict Wendy or the remaining Adelsons is intriguing and very possibly will become the basis for the likely deal.

I'm going to open a good single malt and give a toast to the prosecution and the Markels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge