GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13

dotr

Reaction score
rbbm. Lengthy.
Sept 24, 2022 •
''Rivera didn’t know who was behind the murder plot but testified that Magbanua was “the woman in the middle doing everything.”

He also claimed to know the reason for the hit: “Because the lady wants her two kids back. She wants full custody of the kids.”

NAMED AS SUSPECT: Ex-wife Wendi was miserable in Tallahassee. Her mother Donna seemed to drive the hatred towards Dan Markel.
For Ruth Markel, the developments stirred in her guts. She had suspected that Wendi Adelson was involved in her son’s murder “from the start.”

Wendi has maintained her innocence and has so far not been charged, despite now officially being named a suspect.''

“We’re not used to a murder-for-hire in our family. The Unveiling is about what I’ve learned,” Ruth said. “We’ve had eight years of this. Hearings, appeals … it was a very hard experience, a disaster.”

Dan Markel, a man who urged his mother to “just take care of my kids” if anything should happen to him, would have celebrated his 50th birthday on Oct. 9.

“For all Dan’s achievements, I’m most proud of him as a father,” Ruth said.

Ruth Markel is not a neophyte writer, The Unveiling is her 10th book. She began recording her thoughts as her son’s murder case wound its way through law enforcement and the courts.

“It’s about the victim experience, but the case does have a lot of glamour and glitz. Expensive cars, boob jobs and murder,” she said.''

Recently, Ruth and her former husband Phil, visited their grandchildren for the first time in six, long years.

“It couldn’t have gone better, we asked if they could give us a hug and they ran right to us and hugged and kissed us,” Ruth said. “There was no awkwardness or discomfort at all. They remembered us.”

Attachments

• 1664048204598.png
    1664048204598.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 7

Marysmith

Reaction score
rbbm. Lengthy.
Sept 24, 2022 •
''Rivera didn’t know who was behind the murder plot but testified that Magbanua was “the woman in the middle doing everything.”

He also claimed to know the reason for the hit: “Because the lady wants her two kids back. She wants full custody of the kids.”

NAMED AS SUSPECT: Ex-wife Wendi was miserable in Tallahassee. Her mother Donna seemed to drive the hatred towards Dan Markel.
For Ruth Markel, the developments stirred in her guts. She had suspected that Wendi Adelson was involved in her son’s murder “from the start.”

Wendi has maintained her innocence and has so far not been charged, despite now officially being named a suspect.''

“We’re not used to a murder-for-hire in our family. The Unveiling is about what I’ve learned,” Ruth said. “We’ve had eight years of this. Hearings, appeals … it was a very hard experience, a disaster.”

Dan Markel, a man who urged his mother to “just take care of my kids” if anything should happen to him, would have celebrated his 50th birthday on Oct. 9.

“For all Dan’s achievements, I’m most proud of him as a father,” Ruth said.

Ruth Markel is not a neophyte writer, The Unveiling is her 10th book. She began recording her thoughts as her son’s murder case wound its way through law enforcement and the courts.

“It’s about the victim experience, but the case does have a lot of glamour and glitz. Expensive cars, boob jobs and murder,” she said.''

Recently, Ruth and her former husband Phil, visited their grandchildren for the first time in six, long years.

“It couldn’t have gone better, we asked if they could give us a hug and they ran right to us and hugged and kissed us,” Ruth said. “There was no awkwardness or discomfort at all. They remembered us.”
Thank you for this! I’m glad their visit went so well!!

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
It is being reported on YT that: UPDATE: CHARLIE’S COUNSEL WITHDRAWS MOTION 9/16 for access to discovery & longer visits.

Any guesses as to what that means?
I recall at the motions hearing that the judge stated something to the effect that the Court believed they could easily facilitate the provisions being challenged. IMO, I think the motion that's now been withdrawn was more about the defense getting on record than it was that there wasn't a workable, available solution to what the defense cited as a challenge.

For example, the defense complained that they had thousands of pages of discovery to share with CA but the jail was delaying the exchange because they were required to first copy the documents transmitted to CA and retain the originals. In the age of electronic transmission, I'm sure that the defense is simply printing their electronic record to send to the jail where the jail can certainly streamline making a copy of a copy.

At the time the defendant filed this motion, I was reminded of another defense motion I'd just read for an unrelated case where the defense wanted the inmate moved to another jail that was closer to the counsel's office because the defense attorney felt inconvenienced having to commute 2.5 hours to/from the jail to visit their client to prepare for trial. Here, the judge wasted no time asking the defense attorney to cite the statute or case law where it was the Court's responsibility to eliminate being inconvenienced. :p

ETA: Besides papering the record, especially for future appeal purposes, important to note that we've probably not seen the last of nonsense defense motions here where CA's defense team is also working daily to maintain their client PR. It becomes tiring to watch defense teams placate privileged clients as that retainer dwindles down. I'm sure CA was really impressed with his team harping on the jail conditions where staff don't work 24/7 to fulfill CA's personal defense needs. No inmate is as important as CA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website
www.twoinnocents.wordpress.com
Maybe Charlie is having remorse too. One can hope… I hope someone in this saga does. I think being removed from the murder can make it so you feel less guilt. He’s been living in a fantasy world and the arrest and bail denial probably brought him back to reality.
He has some money so he’ll be ok in the future and he also has a brother that left the family. Maybe he realizes he can too.
It’s got to be brutal for him being locked up.
Maybe he’s thinking - why should I take the fall when I didn’t even ask for it?! And he should think that IMO! But maybe it was his idea as he seemed to enjoy the lifestyle of being on the edge of the law…

I mean how could he not feel, now, that he took all the risk, paid all the money, has lost his liberty for
God's sake, while his "trust fund baby" sister got everything she wanted.

I would love to be able to hear the recorded calls between he and Donna. I bet she's doing her best to work her magic to keep him from working a deal, playing on his weaknesses as she only knows them, to save herself and her baby. Unless, plot twist, she works a deal squealing on Wendi so she would get no prison time and get to raise those two boys as her own. Blech.

Such a twisted family, yet watching 3D chess at the same time.

So curious about this defense motion.

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website
Interesting!
I don’t know what it means but I really think he is the only one of the family that could flip… I mean he did this for his princess sister who has no consequences. He’s probably had a lot of time to sit and think about everything.
Yes he has many issues outside incarceration but I doubt he wants to spend the rest of his life in prison.
Not to mention isolation. That part has to be absolutely debilitating a person like him.

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website
Yes, agreed!
We are obsessed with this show called Alone (History channel) where people are dropped in to the wilderness, fending for themselves and the last one standing wins (far too little imo) 500K. What's been so interesting is that once many of them figure out food/ water resources and get their shelter created, what makes them "tap out" of the experience is the isolation. And there are people who voluntarily signed up for and often enjoy that kind of solitary living. Not kidding when I say I have thought of Charlie many times when those issues come up on that show.

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
We are obsessed with this show called Alone (History channel) where people are dropped in to the wilderness, fending for themselves and the last one standing wins (far too little imo) 500K. What's been so interesting is that once many of them figure out food/ water resources and get their shelter created, what makes them "tap out" of the experience is the isolation. And there are people who voluntarily signed up for and often enjoy that kind of solitary living. Not kidding when I say I have thought of Charlie many times when those issues come up on that show.

I dunno... I'm recalling one of the witnesses during KM's trial, a former business partner sued by CA that talked about how a relationship with CA is one-sided, and CA talking only of himself, a user. always imposing. IMO, individuals with these characteristics are happy in their own company and do OK in jail, forming their own network, and inmate alliances.

At his age, CA didn't really have any meaningful relationships on the outside, ever -- except for the strange bond with his mother, DA. Seriously, he was associating with KM! If/when convicted, I can see CA playing the martyr, the family savior, and his family responding accordingly. Similar to an honor killing. This family is twisted. MOO

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website
I dunno... I'm recalling one of the witnesses during KM's trial, a former business partner sued by CA that talked about how a relationship with CA is one-sided, and CA talking only of himself, a user. always imposing. IMO, individuals with these characteristics are happy in their own company and do OK in jail, forming their own network, and inmate alliances.

At his age, CA didn't really have any meaningful relationships on the outside, ever -- except for the strange bond with his mother, DA. Seriously, he was associating with KM! If/when convicted, I can see CA playing the martyr, the family savior, and his family responding accordingly. Similar to an honor killing. This family is twisted. MOO
The psychology is astoundingly curious and twisted, right? I see your scenario as well. He has plenty of time to talk to himself now, doesn't he? I do see the whole family agreeing that Charlie taking it for the team is the best answer--in fact, I see Wendi having that on her radar since the inception. Which is why, imo, she pre-threw him under the bus with all that "cheaper than hiring a hitman" talk, including day of the murder, likely exactly when the murder was occurring. I think she's the most twisted and cunning of them all. In my opinion of course.

Rivkah11

Reaction score
As a Jewish mother and grandmother, “justice, justice, shall you pursue” is what drives my continued interest in this case. Not to mention, it’s my own Tribe. To me, Justice looks like: conviction and life imprisonment for all involved, even peripherally. However, the ultimate justice is when both Dan Markel’s sons have their birth names restored and wipe Adelson forever from their hearts. The victims were Dan, and those 2 children. they were victims of Wendi’s malignant narcissism. WA fueled the entire family’s hatred with her stories where she’s the victim. She’s the center of the tragedy. Justice includes WA charged and convicted. She knew and helped. My opinion.

Bongo

Reaction score
As a Jewish mother and grandmother, “justice, justice, shall you pursue” is what drives my continued interest in this case. Not to mention, it’s my own Tribe. To me, Justice looks like: conviction and life imprisonment for all involved, even peripherally. However, the ultimate justice is when both Dan Markel’s sons have their birth names restored and wipe Adelson forever from their hearts. The victims were Dan, and those 2 children. they were victims of Wendi’s malignant narcissism. WA fueled the entire family’s hatred with her stories where she’s the victim. She’s the center of the tragedy. Justice includes WA charged and convicted. She knew and helped. My opinion.
I feel like this case has drawn a lot of us justice-loving MOTs.

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website

I think what you are wrote likely reflects Dan's own "retributivist" thoughts on justice. I find it so heartbreaking and poignant that he literally co-authored a book called

Privilege or Punish: Criminal Justice and the Challenge of Family Ties​

I keep wishing someone who was a colleague and knows this material would speak on a podcast or somewhere on how these concepts would specifically translate to this case. I mean it's as close to "what the victim would want" than anyone could ever get.

As a sister of a murder victim, navigating the death penalty and all those consequences for over 30 years, these things weigh on my mind.

I agree with your comment as well.

Rivkah11

Reaction score
I think what you are wrote likely reflects Dan's own "retributivist" thoughts on justice. I find it so heartbreaking and poignant that he literally co-authored a book called

Privilege or Punish: Criminal Justice and the Challenge of Family Ties​

I keep wishing someone who was a colleague and knows this material would speak on a podcast or somewhere on how these concepts would specifically translate to this case. I mean it's as close to "what the victim would want" than anyone could ever get.

As a sister of a murder victim, navigating the death penalty and all those consequences for over 30 years, these things weigh on my mind.

I agree with your comment as well.
I am so very sorry for your loss. My only nephew was murdered (unsolved) in 2016. Oddly, there is a bit of comfort in not knowing and as yet being spared the trauma of the justice system.

katiecoolady

Reaction score
Website
I am so very sorry for your loss. My only nephew was murdered (unsolved) in 2016. Oddly, there is a bit of comfort in not knowing and as yet being spared the trauma of the justice system.
It's not uncommon that us murder survivors seek comfort anywhere we can, like in "at least we didn't have to deal with _____". Sigh.... Sorry for you and you family's loss as well.

stamplewie

Reaction score
KM's attorneys didn't move to exclude that evidence. Her defense was essentially "We admit that SG killed DM. He did it because CA, DA, and WA asked him to. I had nothing to do with it!"

With respect to CA's defense, I believe they will move to exclude evidence of co-conspirator convictions and would give them at least even odds of winning that motion. But that's just speculation (unlike the probable cause affidavit which lays out a very good case against CA despite Meggs' statements).
I respectfully disagree -- I don't see CA winning a lot of motions, including motions in limine to exclude evidence, in front of this judge -- remember this is the judge that that sentenced KM to the maximum penalty on the lesser charges -- i.e., consecutive 30 years not to run concurrently with the life sentence.

Marvin Berry

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree -- I don't see CA winning a lot of motions, including motions in limine to exclude evidence, in front of this judge -- remember this is the judge that that sentenced KM to the maximum penalty on the lesser charges -- i.e., consecutive 30 years not to run concurrently with the life sentence.
Judge Wheeler has rightfully been tough in sentencing. But he's also been careful to avoid reversible error. For example, he did not allow the State to present transcripts of the Dolce Vita meet-up to the jury. Similarly, he may not allow evidence that non-testifying co-conspirators were convicted as it could potentially be a problem on appeal and isn't really needed for a conviction.