GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably at least files an initial appeal. But, the world looks different from state prison than it does from the relatively comfy (by comparison) Leon County Jail, and CA's worldview could evolve pretty quickly once everything sinks in. CA must know that Sigfredo Garcia turned down offers to cooperate and will now die in prison.
I agree. He does have a saviour complex, he wants to play the hero and flipping on his sister to save himself is the last resort, but the opportunity to make a deal is rapidly diminishing. He doesn't do it soon, then the deal is gone. But whatever deal he strikes won't see him being released anytime soon. Maybe 20 years? He will want to save his Mum. They have a very strong bond, albeit extremely toxic and unhealthy. It must be killing him having her languishing in a jail and not being able to speak to her. So if he does make a deal it would be most likely to save her. She's still going down for 10 years+.

Dolce Vita recording...First line of transcript.CHARLES ADELSON: If they had any evidence, we would have already gone to the airport.
Wow. Talk about tempting the fates! Dhaang Charlie, "we" did not include you. Mom & Dad went to the airport and left you sitting in jail.
Albeit a fruitless attempt to flee to Viet Nam via Dubai.... it still didn't change the fact they asked you not be informed. Charlie if there is one chance to get out of jail some day, and have the ocean breezes of Viet Nam blow through your Samson-like hair before you are an 80 year old man, take it! GC has only so many "gift cards" to hand out, and these are the kind that expire soon. You can still live comfortably on your delayed Social Security payout there.

Thanks for re-posting that older link to the Dulce transcript - hadn't looked at that for a while.

There are a few references to Harvey in that one too, seeing as we're returning to the topic of Harvey & wire tap phone calls. Ditto coded references to Sigfredo in there. Sounds like CA wants assurances that SG is ' far removed' so that this crime can't come back on him & by extension Charlie.

'if my parents were really guilty' Charles Adelson 2014
' If I did it' OJ Simpson 2007 ;)

Also, re the references to weapon concealment & rental car, it's so irritating that Katie still claims not to recall that they'd had prior conversations on similar details

Last edited:
Yes, I was following the case because Dan's death had made the news in Canada, and was so puzzling.

A full on SWAT team were waiting at a gas station along the interstate: how the heck did they predict he would stop there? He had suitcases in the car, I recall. This is confirmed in Epstein's book, he was heading to KM's brothers place.

The FBI had been turning up the heat, perhaps hoping Katie would contact DA.

The media link might work better direct from the OP
Thanks for additional links. I was aware they nailed SG at the gas station for possession charge before the murder indictment handed down by the grand jury-- they'd been listening to KM's calls.

The description by the homeless guys watching the take down is typical of Florida traffickers (such as SG) who previously told LR he was hiding money inside the vehicle-- also typical re. stash $$$ and weapons in vehicle panels. JMO

ETA: add link

Last edited:
Dolce Vita recording...First line of transcript.CHARLES ADELSON: If they had any evidence, we would have already gone to the airport.
Wow. Talk about tempting the fates! Dhaang Charlie, "we" did not include you. Mom & Dad went to the airport and left you sitting in jail.
Albeit a fruitless attempt to flee to Viet Nam via Dubai.... it still didn't change the fact they asked you not be informed. Charlie if there is one chance to get out of jail some day, and have the ocean breezes of Viet Nam blow through your Samson-like hair before you are an 80 year old man, take it! GC has only so many "gift cards" to hand out, and these are the kind that expire soon. You can still live comfortably on your delayed Social Security payout there.

wow that's bad! He's completely flipping out. He is careful to throw in lots of comment about how he and his parents aren't involved, but then what he says is pretty damning. Noone innocent would be acting like this.

I agree. He does have a saviour complex, he wants to play the hero and flipping on his sister to save himself is the last resort, but the opportunity to make a deal is rapidly diminishing. He doesn't do it soon, then the deal is gone. But whatever deal he strikes won't see him being released anytime soon. Maybe 20 years? He will want to save his Mum. They have a very strong bond, albeit extremely toxic and unhealthy. It must be killing him having her languishing in a jail and not being able to speak to her. So if he does make a deal it would be most likely to save her. She's still going down for 10 years+.
I don't see how Charlie could save his mother. The State would not buy any lies re Donna. JMO.

I don't see how Charlie could save his mother. The State would not buy any lies re Donna. JMO.

They could make a deal that's not really a deal. Offer 10 years. She's 83 by the time she will be released, but very unlikely she would make it 10 years. So in reality the 10 year deal is still life. Charlie thinks he's the hero by saving Momma, DA is happy because she may see the light of day and we're happy because we know she'll probably die in prison. Everyone's a winner!

Yes, I was following the case because Dan's death had made the news in Canada, and was so puzzling.

A full on SWAT team were waiting at a gas station along the interstate: how the heck did they predict he would stop there? He had suitcases in the car, I recall. This is confirmed in Epstein's book, he was heading to KM's brothers place.

The FBI had been turning up the heat, perhaps hoping Katie would contact DA.

Thanks for this information. I knew the FBI had been probing SG's workplace and I'm sure that made him and KM nervous but I missed the fact that he was fleeing with luggage. Interestingly, Ruth Markel just said last week on the Surviving the Survivor (STS) podcast that GC and the State Attorney's office delayed the arrest of SG by a few weeks until after Ruth's planned visit to South Florida was finished, so that she could visit the kids. SG must have been under very close scrutiny during the waiting period.

They could make a deal that's not really a deal. Offer 10 years. She's 83 by the time she will be released, but very unlikely she would make it 10 years. So in reality the 10 year deal is still life. Charlie thinks he's the hero by saving Momma, DA is happy because she may see the light of day and we're happy because we know she'll probably die in prison. Everyone's a winner!
But why would the State do that? The State doesn't care about Charlie's feelings about Donna. There's no reason to do that.

Thanks for this information. I knew the FBI had been probing SG's workplace and I'm sure that made him and KM nervous but I missed the fact that he was fleeing with luggage. Interestingly, Ruth Markel just said last week on the Surviving the Survivor (STS) podcast that GC and the State Attorney's office delayed the arrest of SG by a few weeks until after Ruth's planned visit to South Florida was finished, so that she could visit the kids. SG must have been under very close scrutiny during the waiting period.
I know the warrant and inventory of the search from 2016 is out there but I believe the idea of a suitcase was from one of the panelists books and not official. JMO

Yes, I thought it was great prosecutors office delayed both SG's and CA's arrests until Markel visits with their grandchildren were done. This courtesy was so very much appreciated.

So, I have a question for those with legal expertise and based on discussions after KM’s guilty verdict. Would it behoove CA to turn on his sister now and share any solid evidence he may have that implicates WA, prior to sentencing in December or would he have nothing to gain until after he went through any planned appeals to his conviction?
Any deal with CA that tends to implicate Wendi would be predicated on him testifying, truthfully, at a trial. In his specific case, as things look at present, it looks like its would need to be at least (2) trials, because he can't be truthful at a trial with WA as defendant without being truthful about all of the participation of DA and prosecution is not going to make a deal for part of the story, the PR issues would be caustic in the extreme. So he can roll on both DA and WA....Unless DA is tried before any deal is entertained. And the wild card is....

All this compounded by any culpability HA has....Because the complete story may implicate him in the overall conspiracy or possibly some accessory after the fact type charges; and any corresponding sentence would carry the likelihood that HA dies in prison. In effect, CA can't roll on WA now because he takes the remaining A's down as well; and closes out any appeal of his own conviction.

Should CA appeal his conviction to conclusion: this is going to continue a long time and discounts him from rolling over on anybody, because any tactic he takes to go state's evidence is going to be an admission of his own guilt.

CA might appeal his sentence only, prior to DA's trial: and once he has seen the discovery for DA's trial (and he will, irrespective of any sanctions...) he may perceive she needs to roll the dice and he needs to bide his time...or maybe not.
If DA convicted, CA may very well roll on WA with the provision that HA gets the opportunity to plead to a slap on the wrist. And he would get little discount from his sentence because the prosecution would have enough to get WA in any case?
If DA is not convicted, CA might roll because his testimony against WA would then be of greater value because the evidence that failed to convict DA will largely be the same in trying WA; so CA could demand a greater quid pro quo to fill in the blanks.
If WA gets indicted near term, and CA gets a good look at discovery for both DA and WA: he may perceive his own value to be near-zero. Which will be the adaptation of the prosecution in any proffer negotiations...
The prosecution ups the stakes by indicting WA and combining the trial of DA and WA: CA will wait for all the discovery, meantime dry out some chicken bones and a gourd....

My prediction: CA mounts appeal of his conviction; waits until he can evaluate discovery and any alibi specification in DA's proceedings; then providing he perceives DA as in great risk of being convicted, decides to specify and roll if the benefit is great enough. He will try to incorporate something in his deal to prevent HA from doing jail time.

All MOO and IANAL

I know the warrant and inventory of the search from 2016 is out there but I believe the idea of a suitcase was from one of the panelists books and not official. JMO

Yes, I thought it was great prosecutors office delayed both SG's and CA's arrests until Markel visits with their grandchildren were done. This courtesy was so very much appreciated.
Aha! some artistic license by author then? At least that stops me going down rabbit hole of where he was headed, eg Cuba. Probably just getting gas

So Charlie would make a proffer that exonerates Donna and implicates Wendi? The State would not go for that. Wendi's lawyer would have a field day with that! Do you think he would make a truthful statement that implicates both of Wendi and Donna? There has to be logic to it...JMO.
What do you mean Wendi's lawyer would have a field day?

I think he would say him, DA and WA were all in on it, give my Mum 10 years (instead of life) and I'll give up Wendi. I also think HA may cooperate. DA and CA both said that HA would flip out if he knew what was going on (in reference to the bump). So although I think he was aware of the hit on DM, he wasn't on board with it 100%. He must have been thinking of the potential fallout if things went South. I'm sure he loves his kids and his wife, but they have ruined his life, is he really going to want to spend his last years in prison? If my family did that, I'd show them zero loyalty, they can do the time! I'll still visit them, but I'm not serving a day in prison for someone else's monumental farkup.

What do you mean Wendi's lawyer would have a field day?

I think he would say him, DA and WA were all in on it, give my Mum 10 years (instead of life) and I'll give up Wendi. I also think HA may cooperate. DA and CA both said that HA would flip out if he knew what was going on (in reference to the bump). So although I think he was aware of the hit on DM, he wasn't on board with it 100%. He must have been thinking of the potential fallout if things went South. I'm sure he loves his kids and his wife, but they have ruined his life, is he really going to want to spend his last years in prison? If my family did that, I'd show them zero loyalty, they can do the time! I'll still visit them, but I'm not serving a day in prison for someone else's monumental farkup.
Have a field day means they would easily attack it. They would easily claim obvious bias/probable lying to get his mother a deal by throwing Wendi under the bus and exonerating his mother. (This is Senario 1 -- he exonerates WA and implicates DA). Re your scenario, I don't see the State going for what you're saying -- how would they know that CA would follow through and testify as he says he would? Meaning I don't think they can make DA's deal contingent on what another person (CA) may do in a future trial involving Wendi. And I think its easily attackable by WA's attorney (bias/motive to lie re Wendi to get his mom a lighter sentence). JMO.

Aha! some artistic license by author then? At least that stops me going down rabbit hole of where he was headed, eg Cuba. Probably just getting gas
Yeah, the dreaded rabbit hole. And yes, he was pumping fuel! I recall it was SG's appellate brief that further confirmed bits and pieces of truth versus speculation. At SG's first appearance before Broward County Judge Mary Rudd Robinson the morning after his arrest for cocaine-possession charges, the Judge asked SG if he had known of the warrant (homicide) for his arrest, and SG responded 'No' but told the Judge he had met with a lawyer earlier on the day of his arrest because FBI had come to his place of employment.

The homicide arrest warrant had been sealed pending SG's transport to Tallahassee (Leon County) where SG would face murder charges. Once SG in Tallahassee, a motion trying to keep his warrant/PCA sealed but the AG wasn't having it.

Tallahassee Police didn’t want details of their case against a Miami man arrested in Dan Markel’s killing to be made public for fear other suspects in the murder-for-hire scheme might flee the U.S., court documents show. June 3, 2016

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member