GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the police now have DA's phone, HA's phone was also taken as were 2 more Iphones from their residence as well as an iPad. I would be very surprised if they had managed to completely delete all relevant texts, whatsapp data, photos, emails, documents etc. They have made mistake after mistake.
Why not totally destroy these, after making a list of needed future contacts.
They have stacks of money

CLEARSKIES1 Just when I thought I was tired enough to get some sleep, I saw the attachment you provided..OMG!! Can hardly wait: June is Category A witness..very interesting. And who is Sammantha M listed as inmate#C50274??? (yep same last name as KM! This just gets curious by the day.) Lots of familiar names on those pages...even an old bf.
G'night.

Oh my, I think we're in for another Adelson chit show...

From page 3/15 of the discovery filing -- the former sister in law Samantha M is listed along with the "healer" CH Cabello who SM allegedly paid $600K from the embezzled funds of her employer of 25 years (CPA firm). None of the parties here were ever deposed or called as witnesses previously so most likely meaningless in the larger scale.

From page 12/15, both KM's brother, Francis M, and the healer, CH Cabello, also appear on the list of recorded interviews but there's no date associated with Cabello.

However, seeing the brother's name above, I was just reminded when KM's defense was desperate to delay her 2019 trial and filed an Appeal on 5/21/2019-- seeking an emergency stay.

In the higher court filing, one of the defenses reasons for seeking the stay was allegations KM's brother Francis M and sister-in-law SM were interviewed on 3/2018, but the interviews were not provided to the defense until 1/2019.

But more importantly, the defense further alleged that her brother's interview contained Brady material (which would have required immediate disclosure to the defense)!

The stay was not granted and to my knowledge, that was the end of any allegation of Brady information not disclosed to the defense timely. (See pg 12/31 of KM's Appeal linked below).

ETA: must disable your ad blk to access the links.

Yes, KM and her sister-in-law are in different facilities but only 1000 feet apart.

View attachment 465191
I'd forgotten who decides punishment in Florida but was reminded that similar to Federal Courts, the State Court uses a felony scorecard to determine where in the State wide sentencing guideline range the defendant falls.

Ouch -- you don't want to be convicted of 1st degree grand theft in Florida (theft of more than $100,00).

The State guidelines for 1st degree theft is up to 30 years! The offense rates a 7 out of 10, and level 7 = 56 points in Florida.

As SM had no priors to add to her score of 56, she was sentenced on the low end of the guidelines or 10 years in prison (and 15 years probation) which is still a considerable amount of prison time!

In comparison to Alex Murdaugh's financial crimes, this is very serious time. At sentencing, it appears her defense motion for downward departure was also denied.

THE LEVELS & POINT SYSTEM OF THE SCORE SHEET​

Every felony offense is assigned a level, and each level has a point value.

• Level 1—4 points
  • Level 2—10 points
  • Level 3—16 points
  • Level 4—22 points
  • Level 5—28 points
  • Level 6—36 points
  • Level 7—56 points
  • Level 8—74 points
  • Level 9—92 points
  • Level 10—116 points

Well if they did not have all that time to talk on the iPads then DA may have not passed along the information about fleeing to Vietnan to CA. Certainly helped collect more incriminating information with the recorded and reviewed calls And result in an arrest and additional information for the Grand Jury.
yes, in this case it did bear fruit! i was speaking (in general "old school" terms - ha) that unlimited access was a luxury for a prisoner.

I’ve watched WA’s interrogation videos a bunch of times and I never picked up on Wendi saying that Dan’s parents had just gotten divorced or going thru a divorce. Is that true?
I've read separated but don't know if they are in-fact divorced, or if WA commented on this during interviews...

Ruth Markel talks about her search to find meaning after ...

1701478925150.png
The Canadian Jewish News
https://thecjn.ca › news › ruth-markel-unveiling

Jul 22, 2022 — Ruth Markel, Dan's father Phil (the couple is separated) and Dan's sister Shelly have spent eight years travelling back and forth to Florida ...

I've read separated but don't know if they are in-fact divorced, or if WA commented on this during interviews...

Ruth Markel talks about her search to find meaning after ...

View attachment 465231
The Canadian Jewish News
https://thecjn.ca › news › ruth-markel-unveiling

Jul 22, 2022 — Ruth Markel, Dan's father Phil (the couple is separated) and Dan's sister Shelly have spent eight years travelling back and forth to Florida ...
I think in her interview at the police station she said they were divorced.

I just recently learned about this case, and am doing my best to catch up. Would someone mind explaining to me how they first got Sigfredo’s and Luis’s names? I saw in the probable cause affidavit that they didn’t subpoena the rental car companies for records regarding the Prius until after they had their phone records, meaning something besides the Prius tipped them off to them. I’m assuming this came out at trial?

Thanks!

I just recently learned about this case, and am doing my best to catch up. Would someone mind explaining to me how they first got Sigfredo’s and Luis’s names? I saw in the probable cause affidavit that they didn’t subpoena the rental car companies for records regarding the Prius until after they had their phone records, meaning something besides the Prius tipped them off to them. I’m assuming this came out at trial?

Thanks!
They knew the Prius had been at the gym. So they got records for all phones which were pinging off the towers at the gym that morning. They cross referenced all those numbers on the gym tower that morning with all of the Adelson phones, to see if any of them had ever called an Adelson. . One was a match, because Sigfredo had accidentally called Harvey one time, thinking it was Charlie. So of all the numbers on that tower, there was only one which had ever interacted with someone in the Adelson family. They looked up who that number belonged to, and it was Sigfredo. They saw that this number had often been in contact with another number that was also at the gym that day. They looked that one up and it was Luis. So Luis and Sigfredo were at the gym that day, they were in each other’s phone contacts, and one of them had also contacted Harvey at one time. Lots of meticulous police work, took weeks of cross referencing. There’s no such thing as the perfect crime, you always leave a trace. One call to Harvey blew it for these people.

Thanks!
Welcome to the thread @BlaiseFinlay! Please find more details at the MSM link below.

They knew the Prius had been at the gym. So they got records for all phones which were pinging off the towers at the gym that morning. They cross referenced all those numbers on the gym tower that morning with all of the Adelson phones, to see if any of them had ever called an Adelson. . One was a match, because Sigfredo had accidentally called Harvey one time, thinking it was Charlie. So of all the numbers on that tower, there was only one which had ever interacted with someone in the Adelson family. They looked up who that number belonged to, and it was Sigfredo. They saw that this number had often been in contact with another number that was also at the gym that day. They looked that one up and it was Luis. So Luis and Sigfredo were at the gym that day, they were in each other’s phone contacts, and one of them had also contacted Harvey at one time. Lots of meticulous police work, took weeks of cross referencing. There’s no such thing as the perfect crime, you always leave a trace. One call to Harvey blew it for these people.

The Prius rental car also showed up at the right hour on a Metro Bus camera camera including the bus route the victim drove for his errands. Between Dan's neighbor citing the vehicle description at the residence, and surveillance from the daycare, and bus surveillance, and the rental agreement tying the renters to the phone numbers, -- they had a good start!

The Prius, long known as the "vehicle of interest" in the 41-year-old father of two's killing, is what investigators now say Luis Rivera and 34-year-old Sigfredo Garcia drove to Tallahassee in mid-July 2014.

It was seen in the parking lot of Premier Health and Fitness on Maclay Boulevard as Markel exercised. It was spotted at a government building, a bank and a store along Markel’s route for morning errands. Earlier in the week, it was spotted in the Ashford Club apartment complex behind Markel’s Trescott Drive home, where it's believed they scouted the area.
[..]
Video footage from two city StarMetro buses showed the same Prius on Thomasville Road before and after the murder. Surveillance videos from a bank, a Leon County government building and a store show the Prius following Markel's car that morning.
1701490503061.png
Prius seen leaving the scene -- missing tow bolt cover on front bumper and mismatching passenger side black mirror.

Welcome to the thread @BlaiseFinlay! Please find more details at the MSM link below.

The Prius rental car also showed up at the right hour on a Metro Bus camera camera including the bus route the victim drove for his errands. Between Dan's neighbor citing the vehicle description at the residence, and surveillance from the daycare, and bus surveillance, and the rental agreement tying the renters to the phone numbers, -- they had a good start!

The Prius, long known as the "vehicle of interest" in the 41-year-old father of two's killing, is what investigators now say Luis Rivera and 34-year-old Sigfredo Garcia drove to Tallahassee in mid-July 2014.

It was seen in the parking lot of Premier Health and Fitness on Maclay Boulevard as Markel exercised. It was spotted at a government building, a bank and a store along Markel’s route for morning errands. Earlier in the week, it was spotted in the Ashford Club apartment complex behind Markel’s Trescott Drive home, where it's believed they scouted the area.
[..]
Video footage from two city StarMetro buses showed the same Prius on Thomasville Road before and after the murder. Surveillance videos from a bank, a Leon County government building and a store show the Prius following Markel's car that morning.
View attachment 465278
Prius seen leaving the scene -- missing tow bolt cover on front bumper and mismatching passenger side black mirror.
Yep. Even if Sig hadn’t made that call to Harvey and they struck out with the gym match, they would’ve found the Prius eventually because of the SunPass and the surveillance. That would have led them to the rental agreement, which had their names and phone numbers. The would then have had to cross reference the numbers with the Adelsons and found a connection. They would then cross reference the numbers with the gym tower to make sure they were there that day. Same result from a different direction. Like I said, you always leave a trace.

Even without the technology, Rivera got arrested and was facing a lot of time, so he would probably have talked and they would get to it that way.

I think in her interview at the police station she said they were divorced.
Wait, are you guys saying that Ruth and Phil Markel are separated or divorced??? In all this time, I had no idea. Also, I'm thinking of the over my dead body podcast. He says how in speaking to the two of them, you know those couples that are married for more than 40 years and finish each other's sentences.

Wait, are you guys saying that Ruth and Phil Markel are separated or divorced??? In all this time, I had no idea. Also, I'm thinking of the over my dead body podcast. He says how in speaking to the two of them, you know those couples that are married for more than 40 years and finish each other's sentences.
Well, they were married for a long time. The divorce may have been fairly recent at the time of the murder. Ruth doesn’t say much about any of that in her book.

Yep. Even if Sig hadn’t made that call to Harvey and they struck out with the gym match, they would’ve found the Prius eventually because of the SunPass and the surveillance. That would have led them to the rental agreement, which had their names and phone numbers. The would then have had to cross reference the numbers with the Adelsons and found a connection. They would then cross reference the numbers with the gym tower to make sure they were there that day. Same result from a different direction. Like I said, you always leave a trace.

Even without the technology, Rivera got arrested and was facing a lot of time, so he would probably have talked and they would get to it that way.
Didn’t they get a traffic ticket in the way up to tally? Speeding I’m guessing? I seem to remember that Sig was driving at that time but Luis testified that they shared the driving, and he also said that Sig was drinking every day. I guess it wasn’t a DUI situation. JMO

Didn’t they get a traffic ticket in the way up to tally? Speeding I’m guessing? I seem to remember that Sig was driving at that time but Luis testified that they shared the driving, and he also said that Sig was drinking every day. I guess it wasn’t a DUI situation. JMO
That was the first trip with a different car.

This is from the new document, as linked over the last few WS pages. Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 16.16.32.png

Speculation re possible additional evidence the State may have:

Lunch friends: Wendi said she often met her friends on Friday. How often? Where did they usually meet? How unusual was it for last minute plans to be made? What was Wendi’s affect like at the lunch? (Possibility that last minute arrangements were because tv repair guy came/left early and she then hastily arranged some kind of alibi witnesses — not just computer records — for later)?

TV repair guy: can he definitively state that it was DA (not Wendi) who made the appointment? (Not sure that has been established yet?) What was Wendi’s affect like that morning? What was she doing while he was there? Anything odd?

Any friends she called on her bourbon-Trescott-Mosaic journey: how unusual was the interaction?

WA cell data: does the download verify her testimony that she frequently deletes messages? I think it came out during testimony that she deleted a message that day — were any other messages deleted?

Just my random thoughts and wonderings. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay