FL - Girl, 6, Charged With Felony For Kicking Teacher's Aide

There are many other disorders that may be a mild case that resemble adhd. Thing is boys are the group that are mostly diagnosed because somewhere people got the impression only boys could get it. While some boys may have a differerent issue possibly, girls are somewhat overlooked. I believe that if something doesnt work you should try something else, get another opinion. My stepdaughter does wonderfully on ritalin. Some kids continue to never show signs of living with their symptoms properly and parents and doctors keep them on the medication, I dont understand why. Anyhow...bottom line I dont think a 6 year old whether they have a behavior or learning disability should be locked up for kicked a teacher....they wont let a child molester in jail that is too short just like someone else said. Oh and I believe from my experience that adhd has become a behavioral problem though it is really a learning disability. How frustrated and angry would you be if you could not focus and did everything impulsively and didnt know why? The kids have to have some sort of therapy, whether with medication or change in diet.

I dont believe in ignoring problems with children or adults....yet doesnt mean we should drug every human....we just need to do whats best for the invidual.

The child is 6 years old. ADHD or not, JAIL is not appropriate for kicking a teacher. A call to her mother, yes. Sitting in the principals office until mom gets there, yes. Possibly a day or two suspension, sure. Gently ask mom to consider therapy.. maybe. Take the kid to JAIL????? NO! :doh: What the heck is wrong with people? Don't even get me started on the teacher's aide making the choice to file a criminal complaint against a 6 year old child, resulting in that child being charged with A FELONY! :furious: :furious: :furious:

Okay, with all of that said, there must be other factors here that played in. I've never heard of such a thing happening. Either this child has done this sort of thing over and over and over and the Aide was just fed up... or..... I don't know what else. I just can't help but think there's got to be more going on here than the girl kicking the teacher one time in the ankle. I have no idea what that may be.. but JAIL? I can't believe this! :confused: The aide should be fired. The family should sue. I can't think of a single REALISTIC thing a 6 year old could do to be hauled off to jail!

This whole thing just blows my mind! I have a 6 year old... I'm telling you, if I were that mother, and this was the first time my child had a disciplinary problem at school, and the teacher did this in response, I'd be raising H*LL.

mjak said:
This "little felon in the making" is a 6 year old child with serious enough behavior issues to put her in a special education class. There most deffinitly should be consiquences for such actions. However the consequences should be appropriate. A school that has a class for children with serious behavior problems must have a discipline system in effect for said class. As it is not at all uncommon for students in special schools and classes with serious emotional / behavioral issues to be agressive. I hope and pray calling the police to take 6 years olds to jail is not there system. It is by no means acceptable to kick a teachers aid or to kick anyone. It is also It is equaly unacceptable to haul an emotionaly distrubed 6 year old off to Jail.

mjak

I agree. Most kids who are special ed would also have a psychiatrist or psychologist. The old hag teaching my disturbed 9 year old was going to call police on him the next time he took some of her pencils. I have custody of him and he has some real problems along with his brother who is in special ed. I feel that the schools are trying to take over, obsessed with control, and making criminals of children. It's getting out of hand. "Juvie" is no place for a young child. If the schools and teachers can't handle it, give up some federal and state funding from us taxpayers. The aide for my grandsons headstart program verbally abused kids and hurt my boy's hand. The aide at another school yells and screams at the kids but has worked there for years. I've had medical confidentiality violated by the whole bunch at school, been lied to, manipulated, etc. This child's parents were probably causing them grief and making demands so they got even. It happened to me.

:woohoo:
CyberLaw said:
I seem to have a different take on this as others.

The child has behavourial problems, and has displayed "violence towards" an authority figure. The teacher needs to have control of her students and their respect to do a proper job of a teacher. Especially in a "special needs" class when behavoir and conduct would be "challenging" for her to deal with.

This was done in front of other students. if this child was allowed to do this without any consequences "the other students" may just feel that they can also.

The child is held responsible for her conduct, lest she "harms" the teacher again, as now the teacher would be "seen as" a potential assault victim for just about anyone, as she did nothing when she was "harmed" the first time.

The child would have no consequences of her actions, so she is more likely to do it again. Who knows this time with a "weapon".

So the child is taken off to jail, where most likely she will be told "not to be violent" or use violence tor "solve our anger" or act out in anger and "harm" another person. Violence would not be seen as acceptable to "act" out when you feel hurt, angry, or do not want to do something your teacher wants and expects you to do.

If this was another student, do you think that student and that particular students parents would say: Oh, that is O.K., this little girl is "allowed" to use violence at anytime against anyone and there will be no consequences to her actions.

Who knows what is the history of his child. Who knows if this child has been violent towards others.

Now she has learned that people will and do hold her responsible when she chooses to act in a violent and agressive manner. Hopefully she will learn this lesson. because if she does not get the "help and guidence" she needs, well one day, the consequences could be tragic and fatal for another person.

Accidently tripping a K teacher is not agressive, violent or intentional and I am sure the student felt badly and espressed that to the teacher.

This is a whole different story with this little "felon in the making".
What happened to the clapping icon? I agree with your post!

To clarify a point, I was not "blessed" with normal children, I raised normal children. I even have a "Special Ed/LD child." But he was not "raised" to be violent, nor have any behavorial problems.

So don't assume my 7 year old, my 11 year old and 14 year old "just raised" themselves, because they did not. The core values, personality, and morals "mirror" my family and my husbands family. We are parents who have a responsiblity to our kids and take that very seriously.

I have lots of experience with parents who do nothing when the schools or other people approach them about their child's behaviour.

They find "fault" with the person who is "bringing" it to their attention and they feel personally offended if someone else points out problems with their child's behavoir.

They see it as a personal 'affront" to be told that their child is a problem or has a problem.

How does the school deal with such delusional parents......who feel that Mary is a perfect child, but many reports have been made by teachers indicating that Mary has "behavorial problems"

The parents refuse to listen or do anything about the problem because as far as they are concerned, Mary is not the problem, the school is, the teachers are, the other kids are, but not "their" Mary.

So yes when a child is a spoiled brat, greedy, arrogant, insensitive, gun crazy, victimized others, has no sense of concern for others, is selfish and self centered, steals, lies, is violent, angry and lashes out, bullies other kids, kicks teachers, pushes teachers, mouths off and swears to teachers, brings drugs and guns to school, has "problems" with authority, gangs up on smaller kids, sexually harasses girls, I can put money that the kids "were not born" this way, they were raised this way.

You know the old saying: The apple does not fall far from the tree, you can look at the parent and you don't have to wonder why the child is the way they are.

I meet one parent who was "racist" and low and behold his child was too. Go figure. Was the child "born" a racist, no he was raised that way.

Oh I forgot, Lionel Tate killed a little girl when he was 12.

So he was given a break because after all "he was only 12, just a baby", everyone "advocated" for him, his Mom is a real winner too. That is why Lionel Tate is in Prison again, because he was "born" this way, not that he was "raised that way".

I would very much like to "hear" the little girls mothers views, on immediate gratification, dealing with anger, how she deals with confrontaton, unfairness, or perceived slights, how she feels about dealing with authority figures, etc.

Then we would not "wonder" where the little girl got it from......

After all the Mother did raise the little girl at home for many years, then let her loose on society and then say: It is all a medical problem, I take no responsibility. Everyone else is to blame. No one understand her problems, it is all the fault of the teachers.

Throughout her life, I do hope that everyone in the world has access to and adheres to her "behavorial" plan and follows it to the letter all of the time, because if not, this girl lashes out in anger.

CyberLaw said:
I am not questioning the ADHD, but I can tell you this:

The child has "significant" behavorial problems that are not caused by ADHD

Children are not born "having" problems with anyone in authority, they learn it.

Children are not born, with lashing out violently at people, children or whomever, they learn it.

Children are not born learning to handle their problems with violence, it is a learned behavior, which if not corrected with proper discipline methods, then that is how they conduct their lives.

I am sure this is not the first time this child has "displayed" her violence, I would put money that the school has tried other methods, to no avail. Obviously this girl just does "not get it" but maybe now she will as there are more serious consequences to her "actions".

It is not like her behavoir will get better over time........that "suddenly" the core personality traits will change and her behavoir will change for the better. It is not the schools job to co-parent the child.

The child's is now in school, now the "child" problems of ineffective or indifferent parenting are now the "schools problem, the educational systems problems, the teachers problems and now the other students problems. Actually now the problem of society.

If there is a child that has a problems with authority, reacts violently to any perceived sense of injustice, demands immediately resolution to her problems, is violent, lashing out in anger, then I can say without a doubt that this child now and as she grows older will have involvement with the criminal justice system.

Who knows what she will do at eight, 10, 12, 14, 16.

Let hope her next "assault" is only a teacher and not another student.

Or she feels "threatened" because the teachers in "authority" are making her do something that she does not want to do. Or someone else, like a Police Officer or a supervisor at her job.

Lets hope she does not bring "a readily" available gun to school at age 11 or 12 and do a Columbine.

Because after all she feels like the school and students are "unfair" to her and that "she feels a sense of a perceived slight" that she is angry at the school and students.......

With my kids, I won't let any of them "blame" the pets or anyone else for their conduct or behavoir. I hold them all responsible, accountable and with the appropriate consequences for their conduct.

That is just how life and society works.......
As the mother of a son who would lash out violently at someone, this was not a learned behaviour. This was a part of his illness, he was born with this illness, you see...It had nothing to do with proper discipline (as you so put it) or lack of correction. He has three older siblings who had no problems with lashing out in anger at anyone. Just this one special child of mine, he could not control it untill he recieved the proper help.

This girl does "Not get it" how very sad, that was the response I would get at the very beginning when I was trying to get the help for my son also.

There was a time when those kind of ignorant condescending remarks would make me so angry. Not so any more, I now take them for what they are worth which is not much.

You speak of this child as if she were a hardened criminal, it is no doubt a good thing none of your children had any disabilities. She is a 6yr old baby, sounds to me like there is no one in that whole area who knows what they are doing with special needs children. That is so very very sad, arresting a 6yr old child for kicking a teacher's aid (regardless of the circumstances) is going to teach her absolutely nothing. All that would have done is traumatize her and further undermine her trust in authority.... All those adults could not figure out some other way to reach this child how pathetic.
Instead of labeling a 6yr old "A future felon" (That is also pathetic) how about labeling all those adults involved in that Fiasco as "Maroons":doh:

Guess what my oldest child used to lash out in anger, also, but then though "positive" methods of parenting, he does not do that anymore.

I could easily have ignored his violent outburst, but I did not. I dealt with the problem, which of course is more work, then ignoring a problem. Too may parents take the easy way out.....of course what is easy for the parent. Usually to do nothing.......

If a child has a "true" verified, medically documented "mental illness" or medical problem and needs medication to control their impuse control problem, violent outburst, and anger issues, then of course a parent should do whatever they can to save that child from a future criminal record.

But I have yet to hear that this child's problems are "medical" and not behavorial.

I very much doubt the criminal justice system will "excuse" the beating up of a person because, this now grown child has violent anger issues. After all we do as a society, hold people no matter whom they are, responsible for their actions.

This girl was responsible for her actions, and I do hope that the court ordered counselling will help, because that is what she does needs.

This will not be the choice of the family, they might object, oh well, it will be court ordered. The court will be acting in the best interest of the child and society.

Because after all, I see no other "help" that this child is getting for her "behavorial" problems.

If her problems are not treated at this age, which is going to take a "long" time and intensive counselling over a long term, then she will have even more significant problems in school, with friends, employment and life.

Please note: www.guidetopsychology.com

A child with ADHD may be disruptive, but the behavoir is largely hyperactive and impulsive, rather then malicious.

So no, ADHD, is not the cause of "her problems" but Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Conduct Disorder are "learned" patterns of behavoir.

I would say this child has a personality disorder. I wonder if the Mom does to.?

Wow Heaven spare us all from the self righteous "Tried, Convicted and Sentenced " Life of a 6yr old child as a convicted felon, and her mother as a convicted felon raiser. All those presumtuous convictions when we know next to nothing about the mother or the child.
You should hope that if you ever become so self righteous that you believe you are raising the perfect children, and others who's children act up are not. That someone knocks you upside the head. Life is not that perfect, nor is it fair.

I think I am done posting on this thread and probably should stop reading it. Bad for the old BP. My opinions have been expressed already and it would seem nonproductive to attempt further discussion here.

The concept of learned vrs Inherited behvorial traits is one which has been historicly debated by top scientests, doctors and scholars. Today there is still no consencious as to what is inhertied and what is learned when it comes to behavior.
Yes, we understand learning as it pertains to pavlov dogs; but various personality disorders and traits are not understood has to how they come to be. Cyberlaw much of what you have posted is based on a scientifly unproven assumption of inheritance vs learned behavior. Regardless of how this child came to be a six year old with serious behavior problems she is SIX years old!!! She is not a hardened criminal, nor can anyone predict she will be come one. We should not make assumptions about what a 6 year olds future will be and use those assumptions to imprison her. That is just wrong. I refuse to treat a SIX year old as a hardened criminal based on a very very pessimistic view of society and child rearing as outlined by cyberlaw. This child needs to be placed in an educational enviornment where those enducating her have an appropriate understanding of definant children with opposition disorders and have the tools to deal effectivly with these children. Jail and Felony convictions are for criminals. A six year old is not a crimainal but a victim. Wheter a victim of genetics or poor parenting I do not know. What I do know is that I have great compasion for this child and my strong belief that if we adults can find that right place for this child to be educated she can be a very succesful adult.

mjak

I was watching a television program last night about Autistic children and her behavior was very similar to the kids profiled, i.e., about lashing out when your "routine" is interrupted, etc. I immediately thought about this little girl. I wonder if she's got some form of that, along with any other problems that they've mentioned????

Jeana (DP) said:
I was watching a television program last night about Autistic children and her behavior was very similar to the kids profiled, i.e., about lashing out when your "routine" is interrupted, etc. I immediately thought about this little girl. I wonder if she's got some form of that, along with any other problems that they've mentioned????
Could be as transitonal difficulties and outbursts are deffinitly
common with children with autistic spectrum disorders.

mjak

Autism certainly plays a part in distruptive behaviour many times. It's also a spectrum disorder, which means that yes, she certainly could have some of those same behaviours. It's hard to dertermine just how many children have it because the symptoms vary widely and some of the same symptoms either resemble symptoms of other disorders or mimic some of them without having them all.

It took 3 years to get my son diagnosed, even though he'd been experiencing all the major symptoms since he was 18 months old. Because like it or not, some of the symptoms that they use to classify them are also behaviours that kids have when they are just being kids. A two year old throwing tantrums is nothing, its the 'how' and 'why' that are different in most cases.

And lo and behold, my child still has behaviour problems. Not because I'm not interested, he has the best of care, the best doctors, I read about it all the time, lots of hands on activities, but he's still a child with a disorder that frustrates him, frightens him, controls him to a certain degree. Do you honestly believe that I 'taught' him that? Please! Most disorders cause even grown ups to have moments when they aren't in control. And ya know what, compassion plays a larger part in getting behaviours under control than any physical or mental reprimand ever could. I want to see my child be the best he can be no matter the problem. At home, he has that, it's the world that don't 'get it' sadly.

Thanks ya'll. They showed this one little girl's parents who said that each day of the week, she's got a routine that they MUST follow or all hell breaks loose. For instance, on Wednesdays, she knows that she wears her hair in two braids and her yellow dress. They said that even a spot of dirt on her father's shirt could send her into a fit. It was very very interesting and very sad.

Jeana (DP) said:

Could be Jeana, the fact that this little girl was lashing out because her "routine" was interrupted was very telling in that is was developmental not behavioural. That is what really upset me when I read it, I don't know what is going on in Florida. Someone's head should roll that she was taken to jail, the teacher's aid needs to find another job. Or else they need to do better training down there on how to handle special needs children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back